PDA

View Full Version : How do you propagate blueberries?

Socalman
05-07-2016, 12:54 AM
This is our first year with a couple of blueberry bushes. We have grown boysenberries and propagated them for years. I know how to make my grapes reproduce. How about those bluesberries?

helomech
05-07-2016, 04:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI_GXqVlty0

Socalman
05-09-2016, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the link. Less than 2 minutes in length and exactly the kind of information needed!

Next question, how long after propagating the new bushes until they will begin to bear?

helomech
05-09-2016, 05:08 PM
That I don't know. I plan on doing this soon, but have not done it yet.

jamesneuen
05-10-2016, 10:49 AM
depends on how fast is grows. If you dont get a lot of growth this year and can spare it, remove all of the fruit buds immediately as they form. Then the energy of the cutting will go into growing rather than making fruit.

Just like with tree trimming. If you want the apple trees to grow faster you remove the flowers and "suckers" right as they form.

Socalman
05-10-2016, 02:30 PM
Great information. Yesterday I harvested about 1 cup from our 2 small bushes and took them to the kids house. The grand kids, ages 2 and 7 loved them! My only problem is figuring out where to put more bushes.

realist
05-11-2016, 02:46 PM
That is too easy. For a price of around $14 a plant it sure would be much cheaper doing it this way. Way back when I used to go out and seize the evil green death which is so prevelent in the hills of California. We would always find root tone in all the growing operations, soooooooooooo I guess if it is good for the canabinoids (growers) then I guess it will be good for my blueberries.