PDA

View Full Version : Maritime Telecommunications U.S. VHF Channels & Freqs.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
06-07-2016, 03:47 PM
OK for all you Ants that have the capabilities and are within range of said coasts and waterways, give this a shot and let me know how this works out for you. I know there are some of you that have handhelds that can pull this off. Good Luck!

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtVhf

Be advised there is a lot of dirt on this site so don't get too lost!

ElevenBravo
06-08-2016, 01:21 AM
If you pick the right freqs, no one in land would be listening or using it. Im so far from water I can run 100w and no boat would hear me.

It would be a good backup to MURS if you needed to frequency hop!!

You could even setup two radios to tx and rx on different freqs, like a repeater but just for the two.... Would screw up someone's day who was trying to capture the whole conversation!!

EB

Kesephist
06-08-2016, 03:56 AM
If you pick the right freqs, no one in land would be listening or using it. Im so far from water I can run 100w and no boat would hear me.

It would be a good backup to MURS if you needed to frequency hop!!

You could even setup two radios to tx and rx on different freqs, like a repeater but just for the two.... Would screw up someone's day who was trying to capture the whole conversation!!

EB

Duplex operation. Hankers back from the days of a dedicated separate rcvr & xmtr. Sort of thing that would give the wankers at Meade and Bluffdale a workout for a few days.

Fidel MD
06-08-2016, 12:06 PM
Duplex operation. Hankers back from the days of a dedicated separate rcvr & xmtr. Sort of thing that would give the wankers at Meade and Bluffdale a workout for a few days.

Meh. With a laptop and a $20 SDR dongle https://www.amazon.com/NooElec-NESDR-Mini-Compatible-Packages/dp/B009U7WZCA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1465387492&sr=8-5&keywords=sdr+radio
you can find and monitor likely frequencies pretty quickly.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
06-08-2016, 02:33 PM
Well I looked at it this way in the original post. I have a pair of Quansheng TG UV-2s and they are capable of loading the maritine freqs. so if I do run to the coast I have a backup marine radio. Also good for SHTF scenario............monitor all boat traffic, hey, just thinkin ahead. If I got it I'll use it, stow it away for later, eh? BUT, due to my current geographic location I was hoping someone out there might be willing to give it a go with one of their units.

All of the suggestions above are relevant and damn good ones. Anything you can do to keep your comms secure. Scramble away!