PDA

View Full Version : my garden

Dropy
06-08-2016, 07:43 PM
So garden is roughly a 1/4 acre, something like 10200 sq ft ish. I have in it 97 potato plants, a nice strawberry patch, dill patch and blackberry patch. Those 3 are along 1 boundry. Potatos are 3 rows. Then I have 1/3 row of yellow onion and 2/3 row of carrot. got a coupe row of peas and beans, 4 rows of corn, row of lettuce, row of grape tomato/delicious/romas. Then there is 3 mounds of pumpkins, 2 mounds of watermellons, 2 mounds of cantaloupes, and 6 mounds of cucumbers. I thinks that all I planted. Gonna put herbs in pots today when I get home. Gonna be freezing and canning a lot this fall I think. Prolly give a lot of it away. Yesterday me and my 8 year old grandson spent the whole day in the garden. He was there for over 8 hours and worked like a rock star with me. I was there a total of 12.5 hours weeding and planting. I got no tiller so all the weeding was done by hand. Earlier in the soring I did borrow a friends tiller and went thru it once before I planted the taters and onions.

OOO I planted the taters and onions a couple weeks ago. they are already up and HUGE!!!

I also planted scallions.

ttyl.

Sniper-T
06-08-2016, 09:02 PM
awesome! got some pics?

Vodin
06-09-2016, 12:15 AM
That sounds great Dropy. I am envious :)

bacpacker
06-09-2016, 01:02 AM
Good job. Sounds like its going gangbusters.
Glad to see you back around again. Long time since I talked to you.

Dropy
06-09-2016, 01:14 PM
yeah no interwebs at home makes it hard to get on regularly....

Dropy
06-10-2016, 04:15 PM
DARNIT!!!! I forgot to plant the greenbeans!!!!!!! gonna stuff in between the corn and melon patches. think I ill have enough room there to put in a row today when I get home.... =/

realist
06-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Hey what crop do you rotate with the potatoes? I'm about to harvest mine.

bacpacker
06-12-2016, 06:24 PM
Most anything for a late crop. Beans corn, peas, onions if you have enough season left. Cole crops.

Vodin
06-12-2016, 06:58 PM
Radishes are a 29 day crop.

Dropy
06-13-2016, 03:55 PM
Rotate taters??? I suppose I can take em out and spin em around if I need to..... but why would I do that?

Sniper-T
06-16-2016, 11:31 PM
pop em into a tater gun... that'll rotate them. lol

I try to plant potatoes every year, and try different things, but they always suck! I am missing something :(

realist
06-17-2016, 06:18 PM
I just have the little taters which roll just roll down the barrel of most potato guns. Besides we are on the Left Coast, potato guns are illegal.

Sniper-T
06-17-2016, 10:40 PM
don't tell them what it is... They are too stupid to know...

Dropy
06-22-2016, 11:49 PM
Just got me a fully automatic assault tatergun!!!

realist
06-23-2016, 03:03 AM
So since it is an automatic does it shoot baked or mashed????????

Dropy
07-22-2016, 12:55 AM
So apparently roundup + slight breeze = dead garden. guesse I try again next year......

Vodin
07-22-2016, 01:25 AM
so apparently roundup + slight breeze = dead garden. Guesse i try again next year......

oh no!!

Stormfeather
07-22-2016, 03:31 AM
So apparently roundup + slight breeze = dead garden. guesse I try again next year......

heheh, aint gonna lie... Im somewhat a victim of this myself... Ive got onions in planter buckets, thats all I have left, lost apples and cherrys as well this year

Vodin
07-22-2016, 10:19 PM
heheh, aint gonna lie... Im somewhat a victim of this myself... Ive got onions in planter buckets, thats all I have left, lost apples and cherrys as well this year

Sorry to hear that. This year the weather has just been amazing or I was.. yeah must be the weather.

bacpacker
07-23-2016, 01:57 AM
I'm not sure what is going on this year. We have had a very dry late spring and summer, with the exception of two weeks ago when we had 4-5" of rain over three days. Our okra, jalapeno's, onions, taters, cabbage, summer squash, lettuce, blueberries, & mulberries have or are doing as good as they ever have. Tomatos, cuckes, & bell peppers are fair at best. The only thing I can think is that I was able to plant most everything in the right growing signs.

realist
07-23-2016, 03:04 PM
Typical garden. Each year it is different. Tomatoes are the biggest problem, they just don't want to produce. Hopefully they will come up later. Everything else is good.

Caveman Survival
07-31-2016, 12:41 AM
I didn't even plant this year... But it's ok because my beagle planted for me last year. It turns out when she raided my tomatoes last fall she left a bunch of seeds. So now I have 12 plants that seeded and are popping greenies like there is no tomorrow. My dill self seeded as well and so did my ground cherries. I had onions that didn't take last year and they all came up this year... So I have an accidental garden. I'm still going to plant up some spinach and radishes for a fall harvest. I might even try for some late season baby cukes

-------------------------------------------------

Patriotism is a pernicious, psychopathic form of idiocy. – George Bernard Shaw

To me, it seems a dreadful indignity to have a soul controlled by geography. – George Santayana

ak474u
08-09-2016, 02:24 AM
I'm just trying to keep everything alive at this point. 102-103-100-101* day after day is just awful. Waiting to get back to 90-95* daily highs so maters will start making again. Actually have some nice cucumbers, and more okra than we can stand, and melons are doing well. My weeds in the garden are doing fantastic. Lol

bacpacker
08-09-2016, 04:19 PM
We are getting Buku okra to the point we are giving away some. May try and sell a little. Our winter squash has made a lot but lack of rain has kept them small. Melons are soso. Tomatos and cukes have just quit. Gonna dig taters this weekend.

I harvested a bunch of onions, red, yellow, and white. All turned out well, but my reds are already starting to go bad. Will plant much less of those next year. Only had 1 while and 0 yellows go bad at this point.

Sniper-T
08-15-2016, 02:52 PM
... and so did my ground cherries. ...

Would it be possible to get some seeds/pits? off of you? I've been wanting to plant some, but cannot find them.

LUNCHBOX
08-19-2016, 12:40 AM
I let my new lady have a go at a garden so she could see what it takes... I'll say this, she can raise all the grass you can eat. Lol

Socalman
08-19-2016, 02:59 PM
Just checking in to give an update on our garden.

A decent amount of green beans put away, now moving into the dried beans from them. Tomatoes have been good, though not outstanding. We continue to get a decent daily harvest and enough to give some away. Squash plants doing very well, though this year the butternut squash look a bit smaller than last year. Peppers hav been outstanding, we have dried lots of cayenne and getting a bumper crop of jalapenos.

My peach tree went crazy in early July and then was pretty badly destroyed by our local bear. We had to harvest and the timing for canning was not right for us. I canned a batch of peaches and made one batch of peach jam. The rest was frozen and will soon turn into more peach jam. Strawberries continued to produce until about a week ago, though at a very low rate. We would eat a few and freeze a few. Now have enough frozen berries and I will soon turn that into strawberry jam. My apple tree is having its best year so far. While now edible, they have not developed the sweetness we want. Fortunately we hve not had an attack of various worms that have plagued us in many recent years. Now if the damned bear will leave them alone...

The avocado trees are looking grood with another large crop in our future. The orange tree is also looking to bear a great crop. Last year the first oranges were not ready until late January. Some years we have been able to pick and squeeze fresh OJ on Christmas day.

We lost one of the two blueberry bushes I planted. Got a nice little harvest this first year, perhaps bout 2 cups of blueberries from it, then it just went toes up. The other plant is looking good and will provide cuttings to propogate more bushes.

Kale, is still doing well though the rescent 100+ days of heat make it look pretty tired.

Well, that is about it on my garden update.

Take care all!

Kesephist
08-20-2016, 12:06 PM
Might look into CA hunting laws regarding taking care of your bear problem. Couple hundred pounds of bear meat and fat, the hide, claws and teeth too.

realist
08-22-2016, 09:11 PM
If a bear is in your yard you do not hunt it, its called deprivation and you do not need a tag.

AK I would love to move to Texas but I can not and will not stand the heat. I prefer the coast where it is at least a little cooler.

Vodin
08-23-2016, 12:47 AM
Got lots of ripening tomatoes and chile peppers. Melons and Pumpkins are just now starting out. It will be/is a good harvest.

Socalman
01-13-2017, 04:45 PM
I am now in the planning stages of the 2017 garden. From the 2016 garden quite a bit of lettuce came up from the plants we let go to seed and we will soon start using some of it. Kale plants are looking and tasting good in salads. My wife's pride n joy is the strawberries and we are already seeing a few early blooms, though this weeks storms and cooler weather will probably stop them from producing soon. I hope to add a few more blueberry bushes to the two we put in last spring. Avocados are doing well, we are using some on a regular basis and giving them to friends. Orange tree has a large crop and will soon be ready to squeeze fresh juice!

My wife and I are discussing what veggies what we will plant soon.

helomech
02-24-2017, 10:53 PM
Started planting my garden today. Got the romaine lettuce in the ground today, planting carrots, cucumbers, squash, cayenne, and salad bowl lettuce left to plant. Hoping to get started on the green house again when tax returns come in.

bacpacker
02-25-2017, 01:13 AM
My onion slip order showed up,yesterday. They will get planted mid March, along with the taters. Cabbage will get planted in the next week or so. May do some culiflour and book choy as well.

Socalman
04-29-2017, 04:04 AM
So our strawberries have just been going bonkers. We (ok, my wife mostly) has picked and picked. We have had so many that a few spoiled. She picked a very large bowl this evening, we just finished eating some strawberries with whipped cream. Tomorrow, I think I will make my first attempt at dehydrating strawberries.

Our oranges are very good this year, lots of juice in each fruit. The blueberries are just about ripe. Tasted one today that looked about ripe but it still had some tartness to it. Try again Sunday. Due to the recent hot weather here, in the 90's, most of our lettuce has bolted. I will let it go to seed. Kale is doing well again, I won the aphid battle, though the war never ends. Boysenberries have set and looking good. Our grapes have now set the little berries that become grapes and it appears to be a good crop, if only we can get it before the bears do!

Caveman Survival
05-01-2017, 05:17 AM
Would it be possible to get some seeds/pits? off of you? I've been wanting to plant some, but cannot find them.

VERY LATE REPLY... let me check my stash... I may have some for ya still

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realist
05-02-2017, 01:35 AM
So our strawberries have just been going bonkers. We (ok, my wife mostly) has picked and picked. We have had so many that a few spoiled. She picked a very large bowl this evening, we just finished eating some strawberries with whipped cream. Tomorrow, I think I will make my first attempt at dehydrating strawberries.

Our oranges are very good this year, lots of juice in each fruit. The blueberries are just about ripe. Tasted one today that looked about ripe but it still had some tartness to it. Try again Sunday. Due to the recent hot weather here, in the 90's, most of our lettuce has bolted. I will let it go to seed. Kale is doing well again, I won the aphid battle, though the war never ends. Boysenberries have set and looking good. Our grapes have now set the little berries that become grapes and it appears to be a good crop, if only we can get it before the bears do!

I'm jealous I would like to grow citrus but we get too many cold snaps, I have a hard enough time just keeping the lemons and mandarins from getting frost bit. This year they are getting a set of christmas lights to keep them warm when we get a frost.

I just finished putting four yards of planters mix in the raised beds. I also got what was left over from last years compost pile and added a bunch of material to it. I mixed it up real good some of it is still real wet. I have about ten yards worked up so since it is getting hot now I should have some good compost to spread around sometime in June.

We had so much rain this winter nothing could be planted early. So we planted inside. It seems everything took and is growing good. We have melons, cantaloupe and crain, peppers bell and jalapeno, five different types of tomatoes, spaghetti and crookneck squash.

The fruit trees were all pruned and sprayed this year. We had lots of starter cherries but now they are all gone, nothing is eating them. Almonds, pears, apricots, apples, plums and nectarines are all coming in good. The pomegranates I'm not sure about right yet. They were cut back a lot and had a nice bunch of buds but the heavy raining may have taken their toll. We landscape several areas of the yard with strawberries and they are taking off. I want to plant a bunch of blueberries this year, we only got a few last year. For those of you who have blueberries I understand they like an acid soil? What do you add to them? Thanks