PDA

View Full Version : vehicle electronics and EMP

Sniper-T
06-24-2016, 11:46 PM
We all know that if an EMP is 'deployed' most of our electrical everything is fucked... so the question is, what parts would you need to stash in your handy dandy Faraday cage to get your rides up and running??

As a secondary, I would like to have my truck, currently a 98 Tacoma.

As Primary, I have a mid 90's Yamaha Kodiak Quad and an 90's Polaris Indy sled. What would I need for parts to refurb them after shtf? I also have a 2005 polaris sled, but I am not holding my breath on that one, although it would be wonderful to have.

Additionally... would things like chainsaws, older outboard engines, and power tools be affected?

What about your handy dandy generator? do you protect the whole thing, or do you have parts? if parts, what?
My gen set is about a 2-1/2' cube... not the easiest to cage.

What do you have that you would like to have after the Klingons drop a Tribble filled Emp onto our asses?

And... discuss!

Vodin
06-25-2016, 01:18 AM
GPS, Satellite Clock, Hand Held Radios, Computers, iPhone6s, Pure Sine Wave Inverter, Digital watches and and ATV.

realist
06-25-2016, 03:43 AM
Sniper I have thought a lot about just this subject. I have a newer pickup and for me to buy the parts to get it running again I would be better for me to buy an old truck. So I bought an older jeep and the parts are much cheaper. I will be buying its parts since they are so much cheaper. As to other things, I have a want/need for a UTV and it would be run into the same problem. I figure the electronics on it would be not as bad as say a car.

With regards to smaller power equipment, I would think my weed eater, chainsaw and lawn mower might come through.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
06-25-2016, 03:33 PM
HEI chips for both trucks 84's, radios, GPS, NV, range finder, etc. have their boxes as well. From there it's a guessing game, all you can do is wait and see,

As for the Tribbles...........I got two animals that are trained in TCQC. They also told me they're quite tasty! For information on sending your animals to the TCQC course go to tcqc.com DON"T DO IT! of course...........................they came back speaking japanese. With a southern accent. Yup turned out it was an actual website.

Stormfeather
06-26-2016, 02:17 AM
Modern electronics would be screwed. Chainsaws, and mechanical tools that are of the like should be fine. Best I can reccomend, is get an older vehicle and start working on it. Get it up to snuff since it has zero electronics it should be fine.

Bottom line, if an emp hits, Im not worried about GPS and such, because that more than likely is already down due to the amount of electronics on a satellite, so they will more than likely be dropping fast anyways. If they arent down, then they will be soon because NASA more than likely wont be feeding corrections into satellites to keep them aloft. Best bet is get a compass, some maps, and start reacquainting yourself with land navigation old style/

Stormfeather
06-26-2016, 02:13 PM
One of the things I still need to do in-depth research on, is what will be the effect of EMP on batteries? Has anyone gotten any info on that who could share the wealth before I go digging into 739 different books looking for the answer?

Brownwater Riverrat 13
06-26-2016, 02:19 PM
Agreed with the above statement, there are various free sites you can print out a topo of your local areas for you to try your "luck" on. GPS sats will, maybe, available but then gov. will snatch them up IF they get up and running. Updating will be a task, more like an exercise in futility, but then again the military has been "hardened" for many years for just such a thing going back to the cold war days. Now how lax have they become since I've retired? Hell, let's see they can't say God at a retirement ceremony in the Air Force (incident) ........um, back on track......don't know all I can say is they can't build a ship or boat for shit that's for sure thanks to your political military and defense contractors. Yes, I'm sure their gear is hardened but the chain of command is weak, and the leadership is worse and discipline is right there behind it. Which will result in a total collapse when the SHTF on board most at sea commands, shore commands I'll bet a majority don't show up because they'll have to go home to their alphabet soup sandwich. Where the fuck am I going??????????????

OK, yes think life without power YES! Kabota tractor dead, Ford tractor ALIVE, dirt bike ALIVE, chopper ALIVE, Night train dead. 4wheelers ALIVE. hey all fine an dandy till the petrol runs out. Better make sure "Midasize" muffler them puppies while you're at it. Sure it sounds cool, but you don't want them to hear you coming and going either. You know when you're out there snaggin petrol and whatnots.

Just trying to figure out how to get this MK-26 soft mount to mount on my 4 wheeler.................any Ideas on where to install the pintal mount? I guess I can handle steering and a M-2 at the same time...........

Vodin
06-26-2016, 09:49 PM
One of the things I still need to do in-depth research on, is what will be the effect of EMP on batteries? Has anyone gotten any info on that who could share the wealth before I go digging into 739 different books looking for the answer?

Batteries will be good. This is the reason I stated a Sine Wave Inverter. Attach it to car battery and convert 12V to 120V

Stg1swret
06-27-2016, 01:20 PM
EMP will completely fry any modern autos or trucks electronics. Don't even try buying spares to get them back up and running, unless you are independently wealthy and have a real attachment to it. GPS will also be toast. Forget the internet too. Power hand tools no computer controlled will be fine, as will batteries. Believe it or not the military isn't as hardened as one would assume, they will loose most of their capability too. Your best bet is to go old school on everything you can. A horse, a bicycle, or an extremely muffled older auto/truck is the way to go.
I spent to much time using my dick skinner's to repair military electronics to have much faith in any modern electronics surviving in either civilian or military hands.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
06-27-2016, 03:44 PM
I'm still Laughing about the "repairing military electronics" part. .. .. .. the sqq-32 sonar comes to mines. I cannot tell you how many stay cards and power supplies "we" have fried and could never get replacements. This puts a Minehunter DIW (welded, ah, nailed to the pier) when it comes to Minehunting. Sure you can sweep but that just covers your six. That sonar is what covered your intended path. They never did fix that problem, no, they "improved it" it still fries cards and power supplies to this day. Gotta love Raytheon............werkin for you baby!

Stg1swret
06-27-2016, 07:46 PM
I should have said make the equipment work inspite of itself. Expedient field fixes were the norm. cant find the problem replace that continually blowing fuse with a short steel rod- problem found. By pass all interlocks,stuff worked much better that way.

Stormfeather
06-28-2016, 02:43 AM
Batteries will be good. This is the reason I stated a Sine Wave Inverter. Attach it to car battery and convert 12V to 120V

But wont an inverter be fried as well? There are electronics in it, correct?

Sniper-T
06-28-2016, 12:26 PM
I cannot think how many times I wrapped those old round fuses in cigarette paper foil and slapped em back in the fuse box, just to drive home... and then forget about them for the next 50,000 miles.

Vodin
06-28-2016, 01:56 PM
The original stance was
"We all know that if an EMP is 'deployed' most of our electrical everything is fucked... so the question is, what parts would you need to stash in your handy dandy Faraday cage to get your rides up and running??"

So all the dead cars on the streets have batteries. Hook up a Sine Wave inverter that was protected in a Faraday cage and you have power for a period of time..

- - - Updated - - -

A friend was having issues with his fuses blowing out and the car would be inop. I clearly and repeatedly stated fix it asap and only do it to get the car to the shop for repair. A month later his car caught fire. Trust no one but yourself was what I learned..

realist
07-03-2016, 03:25 PM
Okay so if you have a vehicle in a wooden garage could you limit the damage from an EMP by taking out the battery and disconnecting the spark plugs? I am considering on getting a UTV and way to harden it as much as possible. If I do get one I plan on storing it in a Conex box to protect it as much as possible as well as get replacement parts for it.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
07-03-2016, 04:48 PM
I think we just need to build and EMP widget and test it out so we can get some solid answers. This is just a guessing game half the time. We need to go fry something and see what happens. Anybody got any ideas????????????

Stg1swret
07-04-2016, 12:08 PM
There is an awful lotof guess work in determining how shielded/hardened a piece of electronic equipment may be. Size of blast, distance from blast, etc. Every explosion, conventional or not produces an EMP field. Best defense is a steel re-enforced concrete enclosure, with some form of copper or metal mesh curtains to cover window openings, all of which are shunted to ground. Think of it as a large Faraday cage. Dissipation and grounding to kill the EMP are the main goals. For general electronics in civilian hands, electronics stored in a trash can and placed in an underground bunker, or concrete basement should be adequate. Automobiles are another story. Todays cars and trucks have many computers controling among other things fuel delivery, spark and timing, and the transmission. Short of keeping spares and being able to access the area where the computers are, you are basically screwed when it comes to protecting your transportation from EMP. The only other real option is to have a pre 1968 car or truck without the computers.

Vodin
07-05-2016, 04:39 PM
Watch this, I believe this is very plausible. Got the trashcan and the tape ready to go..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3S2KDuVxaU

Vodin
07-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Here is info on how to build a cage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMct99DiZak

Socalman
09-14-2016, 05:00 AM
Would a vehicle parked in 3rd level below ground parking structure survive an EMP? There are so many large parking garages with levels going down to 5 levels at least here in So. Cal I would think we would actually see many vehicles survive. Those garages have lots of steel and cement in the structures and are certainly grounded.