PDA

View Full Version : Gunshots

Kodiak
08-28-2011, 07:38 AM
While getting ready for work last night at around 2130 i heard what sounded like 4 gunshots. They were close and it made me a little nervous leaving the family alone all night. I live in a mid sized town right in the middle of a neighborhood, so there should be nobody shooting anywhere near my house.

Its times like this when my mind starts wondering and i think about what it will be like when SHTF. Will there be any kind of warning, or will sh*t just start popping off and we all get thrown into a mad max scenario. I guess there is no real way of knowing until it happens.

LUNCHBOX
08-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Hey, that was me, had to zero my rifle (took 4 shots instead of 3....lol)-JK. My opinion is we are being warned right about.....................................now, how about now or now. I think we have been on our way for a while. IMO.

izzyscout21
08-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Something like that happened to me a few months back. I threw my wife the rocket launcher and told her to cover me while I moved.

ak474u
09-01-2011, 08:03 PM
I grew up in an area where we heard gunshots every evening, mostly on the weekends, we never heard sirens after the shots, so I guess somebody was out "test firing" in the neghborhood somewhere. Once in a while I still hear shots around here, lots of apartments nearby that aren't quite as nice as mine. Somebody dumped a mag very nearby a few weeks ago, but never heard about anybody getting shot or anything. It's kinda worrysome when you live in a densely populated area to hear shots.

dadjitsu
09-21-2011, 12:32 AM
I live in one of those neighborhoods. We here shots often, especially at night on the weekends. Sometimes they're very close by and rarely followed by sirens. There's also a lot of fireworks, especially in the summer months, and they can sound an awful lot like gunshots. It's mostly gang activity and since we don't bother them, they don't bother us...but we are careful and as prepared as we can be for any unpleasantries.

greenbeetle
09-21-2011, 03:56 AM
Gunshots not far from me last night. It was a burglar being shot 4 times. Made the news.

izzyscout21
09-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Gunshots not far from me last night. It was a burglar being shot 4 times. Made the news.

Guess he wont be doing that again.

Gunfixr
09-27-2011, 10:55 PM
We hear gunshots often enough that it doesn't even raise much concern. Is that a bad thing? Anyway, we're right in the city, neighborhoods all around. There's usually no sirens afterwards. Sometimes hear fireworks also, hear a bunch of that around 4th of July and New Years, from a week before to a week after.
Only time it really bothered me was when I heard a couple bursts of automatic fire, sounded like a 9mm.
Been here 11yrs, took a couple years, but got "used to it".

We may not even notice if TSHTF.

dragon5126
09-28-2011, 07:17 AM
I live about a quarter mile from the local trap club on the bank of one of the great lakes, so shooting is a regular event. However, the type of report you hear is much different for various firearms, as most of you know. The alley behind my home is against a small local park and for the longest time, during warmer weather we would hear someone shooting a .22 in or into the park. Last summer I had a run in with one of the neighbors several houses down who is constantly sticking their nose into everyone elses business, over an arguement I had with my eldest daughter. Long story short, the idiot came into my yard and threatened me with violence, and I simpy pulled my shirt off my sidearm, and ordered him off my property. Before I had a chance to make the call two local cruisers rolled by so I flagged them down, and informed them of the situation and requested they handle it, as if I did there would be an arrest made and the inter-departmental paperwork would be a pain for us all. Needless to say he tried to tell them that I threatened him with a gun. They laughed at him, and informed him that he was lucky that I didnt shoot him AND arrest him as I have Law Enforcement authority in the entire state. The real funny part is there hasnt been a single gunshot in the park since then...

bacpacker
09-28-2011, 09:37 PM
I have a county cop that lives 3 doors down from me. He and his kids shoot on a regular basis. The house beside him shoots some to. The two houses between me and the cop are a dad, son, and daughter and their dad/grandfather and grandmother. They shoot some every few weeks. Other folks across the road shoot from time to time. I guess within a 2 mile area, I have heard regular gunfire from at least 9-10 different folks, myself included. All things considered I think we're in not bad shape although I don't know very many of them.

dragon5126
09-29-2011, 06:24 AM
BP wouldnt be bad here except that the park I live on is 4 square blocks surrounded by 2 lane roads on three sides that have houses (urban sized lots) on it. So it's only a few hundred yards from our communal alley to the occupied homes... with sparse trees in the picnic area and the open sports fields filling the majority... one block to the east however Is the Park System that runs along the Bluffs of Lake Michigan. So the area is relatively quiet other than the occassional brainless on their way to deafness cruising down the road blasting their eardrum bleeders.