PDA

View Full Version : Food for Patriots - good, bad, ugly or scam?

Socalman
09-15-2016, 05:08 PM
This is a company that seems to be making lots of posts on Facebook, offering a 3 day trial kit for just $9.95 shipping/handling. So my thought was let's give it a try, heck 10 bucks I can see how it compares to Mountain House, Wise and Honeyville products.

So, after submitting my info for the offer before you complete the transaction there is some guy making a hard sell for upgrading to 3 weeks or even 3 months. You can't complete the order unless you go through the entire audio sales pitch. Finally, when it was all over, you still can't complete the order unless you upgrade.

Anyone else have ANY experience with this company's products?

ElevenBravo
09-15-2016, 06:01 PM
buncha bitches

Stormfeather
09-15-2016, 11:16 PM
SCAM, they give you free food (once you pay for shipping) and its mega high in sodium and lots of TVP (textured Vegetable Protein) which you can make into anything. Think Soy.... add beef bullion and now you have a hunk of beef, add chicken bullion and you have chicken, and so on and so on.
Not worth it, and dont waste your hard earned money or your time on it brother.

ak474u
09-16-2016, 12:43 AM
I'm pretty sure Wise does a 9.95 trial pack once in a while as well. I think I even saw a free sample offer once.

ElevenBravo
09-16-2016, 01:01 AM
Mountain House for the win. Just expensive is all...

EB

Stormfeather
09-16-2016, 01:48 AM

EB

So sad, and yet so true. Probably why I do all my own vacuum sealing and canning because I dont want to spend money on them.

Sniper-T
09-16-2016, 12:35 PM

EB

Home made for the win! fuck mountain house and their pricing!

Socalman
09-16-2016, 01:12 PM
Mountain House was the first of the dehydrated foods with which I became familiar. Used some on a camping trip for convenience. Have tried some of the Wise. It is ok, but MH wins this head to head battle IMHO. Honeyville packages some great things too.

We have not built our food storage based on the packaged dehydrated products, they are simply a portion of what we have. We have some friends from church who bought several hundred dollars worth of MRE (Meals Rejected by Everyone) as the basis of their food storage. I have tried some. Ok, maybe for a meal or two you can survive on those. I can't believe we make our soldiers use these for more than a few meals at a time.

bacpacker
09-16-2016, 06:26 PM
MRE=meal rejected by ethiopians.

I keep a case or so around simply because they fit a need for a quick k don't have to cook meal. Handy for a quick bugout. But that's about my extent with the..

I kind of look at freeze dried stuff in a similar way, nice for conveience, but not for day in day out use.

gunnermax
09-16-2016, 08:06 PM
I saw that ad on facebook. Decided to give it a try. I will update when tested.

ElevenBravo
09-17-2016, 01:08 AM
Report back. Thx

Stormfeather
09-18-2016, 06:10 AM
Folks, I think you guys are missing one important factor in all of this, and while Im not saying you guys are being a bit snobbish....

well.... Yea, I kind of am. lol.... but Im saying it with love!

You have to take the scenario into context, if the SHTF, your mindset has to change, correct? You have to look objectively at situations and break it down to common denominators.

Food is fuel, nothing more nothing less. Yea, we would love it all to taste like roast beef, chicken cordon bleu, or bacon flavored honey buns... but as long as it fuels the machine so that it continues to work, then its doing its job. Ive lived on MRE;s much longer than has ever been recommended, and when it comes time in the field to grab a MRE, I dont go and search thru the meals, to find one I like, I grab the first one I come to, why? Food is Fuel. I want the body to work, taste to me is secondary. Break it down to the basics folks, and if that time ever comes, that Chicken Pesto Salad MRE just became a Bacon Cheeseburger.

LUNCHBOX
09-18-2016, 02:46 PM
In my opinion a little pepper/salt goes a long way. Lol. I'm not bad mouthing those type of meals but for the price.... I'll stock beans, rice and pasta all day long and spend a lot less. Like Storm said "food is fuel" and I think a handful of dirt with sugar spinkled on it would taste good when your hungry.

mitunnelrat
09-18-2016, 03:51 PM
Lol. Anyone remember getting grossed out when I discussed putting rodent traps in a BOB? Every warm weather outing in the woods has seen at least one.

Kesephist
09-18-2016, 04:07 PM
agreed, 'food is fuel'.

In your experience, which beans prepare the easiest?

by which i mean lowest amount of time from package to actually being eaten, and least amount of prep materials (hot water, f'r'instance).

Taste.. as Kat said in ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT... "Cold beans taste fine too."

LUNCHBOX
09-19-2016, 12:23 AM
That's actually a good test...put a couple handfuls in water and see how long they take to soften and become edible. I've never really tried numerous different types to see if there's a difference in time.

jamesneuen
09-19-2016, 01:10 PM
Personally I love MRE's. I would go raid the ships supply everytime they cooked something terrible.

Socalman
09-19-2016, 02:07 PM
While I am sure all of us will agree with Stormfeather that "food is fuel", I think there are different levels of SHTF for which we all prepare. Whether it be 24 hours without electricity and running water to a TEOTWAWKI event. Most of the times with which we have to deal will most likely be somewhere in between those two types of events.

I for one do not want to live on MRE or dehydrated food for a week while I wait for my utilities to be restored. On the other hand, if for some reason we have to BUG OUT and have just a few minutes I can't be grabbing cases of canned food.

bacpacker
09-19-2016, 09:15 PM
My thoughts exactly SoCal

Kesephist
09-20-2016, 07:02 PM
This is a company that seems to be making lots of posts on Facebook, offering a 3 day trial kit for just $9.95 shipping/handling. So my thought was let's give it a try, heck 10 bucks I can see how it compares to Mountain House, Wise and Honeyville products.

So, after submitting my info for the offer before you complete the transaction there is some guy making a hard sell for upgrading to 3 weeks or even 3 months. You can't complete the order unless you go through the entire audio sales pitch. Finally, when it was all over, you still can't complete the order unless you upgrade.

Anyone else have ANY experience with this company's products?

Back to the point of this thread: I DID give the site a try... it is a scam of the bait and switch variety. I should count fortunate that the scammers find the prepper statistical universe small enough to NOT pursue very hard.

Kesephist

Socalman
09-22-2016, 03:00 PM
So the order (see my original post for date) arrived yesterday. Well packaged and with a catalog. Of course I expected that.

The 72-hour package includes four servings of the following:

-Granny's Homestyle potato soup
-Travelers stew
-Liberty Bell Potato Soup (creative name)
-Blue Ribbon Creamy Chicken Rice

Not sure when but will give one or two items a test dine and I will report back.

gunnermax
09-23-2016, 12:04 AM
mine arrived as promised.

during ordering they want you to upcharge for more items, i clicked no.

the package arrived with a magazine with other products. I get their emails about every 2 days, typical "is your water safe" blah blah stuff. im about to unsuscribe.

I got in a nicely sealed package they say is good for 25 years:
I copied from socal man, cause i got the same thing:
Granny's Homestyle potato soup
-Travelers stew
-Liberty Bell Potato Soup (creative name)
-Blue Ribbon Creamy Chicken Rice

Socalman
10-02-2016, 04:55 AM
My wife will be gone this next weekend and I intend to subject my body to some of the items and I will report back within 10 days, provided I am still alive!

ladyhk13
10-04-2016, 12:49 AM
We have gotten stuff from them and found the food that we tried to be very good. Got free seeds with ours and kept the ones we like and gave away the stuff we wouldn't eat to my sister.

Sniper-T
10-04-2016, 11:37 AM
looking forward to the report...

Socalman
11-08-2016, 03:45 PM
The weekend my wife was gone, I ended up pretty busy and then had a bit of intestinal distress. Nothing serious but I felt that if I was going to be able to give an honest report, I needed to be in good shape to start!

Socalman
12-27-2016, 03:32 PM
FINALLY!

Well, tried Granny's Potato Soup:

Tasted fine but a bit salty, someone said it is high in sodium and that is true. I had no issues post-consumption, i.e. gas, diarrhea, constipation, etc. I would have no trouble consuming it in an emergency or even taking camping, though I would say my preference is for Mountain House. Everyone has their own favorite tastes and some may like this stuff. I suppose that having items from a few different producers gives a little variety that might be enjoyable when things get tough.

moonwillow
03-29-2018, 12:55 PM
I have ordered a lot from this company. Only when free samples. The coffee is good. I liked there strawberries. I have got the 72 hour kit a couple of times. As far as taste goes they are not bad. In needful times your not going to have perfect everything.

eagle326
03-29-2018, 04:33 PM
I miss my c- rations and lrps. :(

Brownwater Riverrat 13
04-01-2018, 08:22 PM
I did have a line on the NEW "lrps" till this "LT" dropped the ball. Needless to say I don't associate with that outfit anymore. Back to that "trust" thing.

The LRPS of nowadays are better than the ones before. I do have a nice stash of MREs and some of the Patriot and Wise as well. Figure the MREs will go first. But I have found them all to be good to eat. No complaints from me, of course I am from the "Goat Locker"

orangetom1999
04-23-2018, 03:42 PM
BrownwaterRiverRat

of course I am from the "Goat Locker"

LOL LOL LOL....

Noted there Chief....Noted!!

Thanks,
Orangetom