PDA

View Full Version : Range safety

jamesneuen
09-18-2016, 01:57 AM
So, the local shooting range is a nice setup and fairly cheap as far as a yearly membership goes. The only downside is that it's only a 200yd range.

I found an abandoned military base that butts up to an abandoned shooting range. The shooting range is on state property now because it was given to the state when the base closed. I could easily get 700+ yards at this place and maybe even 1000 if I angle it right.

The problem is, it seems to have ATV trails crossing it. While shooting on state lands at an established target is perfectly legal, I am concerned that at longer ranges I wouldn't be comfortable that someone wouldn't accidentally cross my shooting lane while firing. So....... I figured I would post here and see if anyone could come up with some solution.

The main idea I have right now is to find all apparent trails and placing plastic caution tape across them with "LIVE FIRING" signs prior to setting up and then removing them when I leave. But I still don't know how comfortable I would be.

realist
09-18-2016, 03:00 AM
Sound like you are doing the right thing. I would post signs at each crossing. I'm thinking it might be best to have removal ones you could put up and take down each time. Do you have an organized off road club which uses it, if so I would consider contacting them, who knows you might meet a buddy to shoot with.

Sniper-T
09-18-2016, 10:31 PM
yep mark it, and then mark it again. make sure all trails are marked.

You may also consider going at 'off' times and not on weekends, when the most atv'ers would most likely be out.

jamesneuen
09-19-2016, 01:12 PM
Off times dont really happen. lol. I shooting is an all day event for me

Sniper-T
09-19-2016, 01:18 PM
lol.
I meant 'off times' for the atv'ers. Most of them, at least around here, are weekend warriors.

jamesneuen
09-19-2016, 02:24 PM
yeah, I would just have to go a few times and see how used it is.

Sniper-T
09-19-2016, 02:48 PM
When you are there, do something to mark the quad trails, place a small branch, or some twigs across them, so when you go back, even if it rains; you'll know that someone was there.

jamesneuen
09-19-2016, 02:55 PM
I've got 3 or 4 trail cams I can put high up where people can't reach them and make sure they only operate during the day. I think that will give me the best idea

helomech
09-19-2016, 03:04 PM
If you can reach them, they can reach them. I had one stolen 2 weeks ago.

Sniper-T
09-19-2016, 03:15 PM
yep^

it's common around here to come back and find the tree cut down and the camera gone.

jamesneuen
09-19-2016, 03:26 PM
eh, they are older, no big loss. I was going to put them 20-30 feet up a tree

LUNCHBOX
09-19-2016, 04:46 PM
I've seen wire stretched across the trail before....wait, that was a different scenario. Lol. You could put your tape across the trail to see if someone removes it also.

jamesneuen
09-19-2016, 06:16 PM
Yeah but I don't want them to become accustomed to ignoring the tape. Growing up we actually had a group of people that would bring bolt cutters with them to cut our fence and tear around the back of our property. So, we went and dropped 3 or 4 huge trees just shy of the outside of the fence line. No problems after that. Bolt cutters might be no problem but we would hear a chainsaw easily.

LUNCHBOX
09-19-2016, 10:31 PM
The tape would just let you know if people were there.