PDA

View Full Version : The Importance of Hydration

The Stig
08-29-2011, 10:41 PM
The Importance of Hydration

Understanding the Importance of Hydration?
Water and Hydration

75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. (Likely applies to half the world population)
In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.
Even mild dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.

Lack of water is the number 1 trigger of daytime fatigue. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day is capable of significantly easing back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

A mere 2% drop in body water is capable triggering fuzzy short-term memory trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it is capable of slashing the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

Water is free. Unlike a daily ½ litre bottle of carbonated soft drink that will cost you £1.00 a day, tap water costs you nothing. That's £250.00 in savings per year!

Water assists to prevent bladder infections. Studies indicate that men who consume more than 10 glasses of water per day are less likely to develop bladder infections than those that did not. Water also helps keep your heart functioning.

You have most likely heard that our bodies are not capable of lasting more than two to three days without water, though that you would be capable of going weeks without food. Water is required for very basic physiologic functions such as regulating blood pressure and body temperature, hydration and digestion (The body requires about 1.5 milliliters of water to absorb every calorie ingested).

Humans all really need to drink more water, the human body is about 60% water. Your muscles and your brain are about 75% water. Your blood is about 82% water. And your bones are about 25% water, drinking coffee and other drinks with caffeine do not count because caffeine is a diuretic, which makes the body rid itself of water. So, your body requires water to survive and function properly.

One requires water to sustain one's physical and the physical body's many vital chemical reactions and maintain correct body temperature. Water also rehydrates you for the reason that during a workout, water is lost as perspiration (and expired air), and this is capable of leading to dehydration if fluids are not replaced. Another plus, drinking water before and during physical activity is capable of enhancing your athletic performance. It also assists the body to eliminate waste, which in turn is capable of reducing long-term risk of colon cancer.

According to a survey, nearly three quarters of Americans are aware of the recommendation of drinking eight 300ml servings a day, though only 34% actually drink this amount of water each day. Most humans consume only about 6 servings of water a day and nearly 10% declared that they do not drink water at all.

From here (http://www.extremenutrition.co.uk/news_and_articles/understanding-importance-hydration.php)

All About Water
Page II

Hydration
Water is the most abundant, yet possibly the most overlooked, substance in the body. The body's fluid status is a truly delicate balance, so much so that experts rank water second only to oxygen as essential for life. Water plays a vital role in all bodily processes by providing a universal medium for chemical reactions, lubrication, nutrient delivery, waste disposal, heat dispersion and temperature regulation. In order to consider what fluids to drink, when to drink and how much to drink, it is first necessary to consider the basis of fluid regulation.

Water represents 45 to 60% of an adult's total body weight. The variation is explained by the difference in body tissue proportions between individuals, with muscle comprising 80% water compared to fat which is only 20% water. The lower a persons percentage of body fat the higher their percentage of body water is (this is the key premise used for bioelectrical impedance analysis). Women will therefore tend to have a lower percentage of body water compared to their male counterparts.

In order to maintain the fluid balance within the body water gain needs to equal water loss. Fluid loss is heavily dependant on a person's activity level as well as environmental temperature and humidity, but for a sedentary adult in this country, an expected total water loss would be approximately 2500 ml per day and would comprise:

1500 ml/day excretion by kidneys in the form of urine
500ml/day evaporation and perspiration from the skin
300ml/day from the lungs
200 ml/day from the gastrointestinal tract

In order to main a constant body fluid volume these water losses have to be matched by water gain. Only a small amount of water (200ml/day) is produced within the body through metabolic reactions thus leaving 2300 ml/day which has to be ingested in either liquid or food form. Exercise increases muscular work and consequently the demand for oxygen. Three quarters of muscular activity is lost as heat and therefore, sweat production is increased to maintain body temperature via evaporation. The rate of respiration increases to supply sufficient oxygen to the muscles which results in greater water loss from the lungs, as the air is moistened to provide more efficient diffusion from the lung space into the blood.

It can therefore be seen that exercise significantly increases fluid loss which can reach levels of up to 4 liters per hour during heavy work-outs. A loss of body mass through dehydration of as little as 2% significantly impairs performance (Armstrong et al 1985) which emphasizes the importance of the maintenance of hydration, especially during exercise.

But how does dehydration affect the body and how does the body recognize it has a problem with fluid loss? Blood plasma is 92% water, and therefore, dehydration reduces the volume of blood in the body which makes the cardio-respiratory system work harder to pump the blood around the body and deliver sufficient oxygen to the working muscles. Exercise feels much harder as your body's systems aren't working as efficiently as they do with good hydration and performance is impaired. As dehydration progresses, nausea and vomiting may be experienced and by 5% reduction in total body weight, performance has dropped by 30%. Fluid losses greater than this creates weakness, confusion and dizziness leading ultimately to coma and death if fluid isn't replaced immediately.

The body's response to fluid loss is that of thirst and the stimulation of thirst by dehydration is what is known as a negative feedback system.

SNIP

Practical Recommendations for Fluid Replacement

Don't rely on thirst. Drink before, during and after any physical activity. Get into the habit of taking on fluids during training as well as competition.
If the exercise lasts for less than an hour the body should have sufficient electrolyte and carbohydrate supplies to maintain optimal performance. Therefore, for short periods of exercise water is just as good as sports drinks.
If exercise lasts for over an hour a drink with electrolytes and carbohydrates will aid performance by supplying additional energy.
Contrary to popular opinion a relatively small amount of sweat is salt (0.2 to 0.4%) therefore unless the climate is extremely hot or the activity is over an hour in duration additional salt should not be needed.
Always try to drink more fluids than you need. Smaller quantities at frequent intervals helps optimize hydration.
The World Health Organization recommends drinking 6 to 8 large glasses a water a day. But it must be remembered that this is only to maintain normal fluid balance and does not take into account the extra fluid demands of exercise.
Drink at least half a litre of water before exercise to ensure your fluid levels are up to start and then continue taking in as much as you can during exercise.
Finally as a fitness professional a key role for you will be to educate and motivate your clients to adopt 'good hydration practices'.

From here (http://www.valleywater.net/hydration.htm)

The Stig
08-29-2011, 10:47 PM
This is a very nice thread Stig, and I'm sure there will be plenty of discussion about it. What prompted you to post this now?

That is a very insightful question and I'm glad you asked.

Allow me to compare and contrast:

Good Example: Took a three day carbine class recently. It was crazy hot and humid and the instructors were vigilant to ensure we drank plenty of water. As such, I drank said water and although tired was able to stay focused all day. This is with temps in the low 90's very high humidity, being in the sun all day and exerting ourselves.

Stig is a dumbass example: Saturday it was in the high 90's, high humidity and just plain hot. So what does Stig do? Stig decides to spend all day working outside and drinking very little liquid. What I did drink was almost entirely all Diet Pepsi. Guess what Stig did all day Sunday?

You guessed it....I did somewhere between jack and shit all day.

So let that be a lesson to you youngin's. Don't be a dumbass like me.

:)

bacpacker
08-30-2011, 01:20 AM
I can relate. Workin out in the garden all summer, I have learned the hard way, a couple times, to take water to the garden with me. With temps in the 90's and high humidity you can dehydrate some really quickly. In an hour or two it can get serious before you relaize it.

Good thread!

mitunnelrat
08-30-2011, 01:42 AM
So, um... here I am to round out the 75% ;)

As I was reading this article I was applying it to how I've felt lately. I'll update in a few days to say if my aches and complaints show any improvement.

Grumpy Old Man
08-30-2011, 05:04 PM
A few weeks ago, one of my buddies from the Thunder Lizard Canning Club chapter of the Old Farts Society and I went camping in the Mojave between Bakersfield and Barstow. Temps were 110-115 during the day and ~ 90 at night. A pleasant day was spent with 1/4 inch plate at 200 and 300 yards. In a 24 hour time period, I drank 2 1/2 gallons of water. This does not include the water at night that I had to purify using the method perfected by Colonel Jim Beam.
The next day driving home congratulating myself on performing hydration like an expert, my hands, feet and legs began to cramp. What did I do wrong????

I neglected to keep my electrolyte levels up!! Water alone is not enough! I stopped at the Outpost and had a big meatloaf dinner with salad and replenished the old fashioned way- lots of salt and pepper on the salad. It was enough to get me home for a banana and some gatorade.

Moral of the story: Water is great for hydrating oneself, but electrolyte levels must be maintained, particularly as you get older.

bacpacker
08-31-2011, 12:48 AM
Great point Grumpy. I typically use 1qt of gatorade or something similar per gallon of water. I have nothing to base that ratio on, but it works ok for me.

mitunnelrat
09-12-2011, 04:41 AM
So, um... here I am to round out the 75% ;)

As I was reading this article I was applying it to how I've felt lately. I'll update in a few days to say if my aches and complaints show any improvement.

Well, its been more than a few days, but I can definitively say dehydration contributes to some of my own little issues. This...

Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day is capable of significantly easing back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers. ...certainly held true for me.

The Stig
09-18-2011, 01:16 AM
To Grumpy's point about electrolytes, I've been hearing good things about the Camelbak Elixir product

More info here (http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Drinks/Elixir-Orange-Alert.aspx)

http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Drinks/~/media/CamelBak/Sports%20Recreation/Drinks/Images/Orange/White/S12_Orange_Tube_ffffffn.ashx?h=518

Sugar-free, effervescent electrolyte tablet works well with CamelBak® reservoirs

No sticky residue to clean

No pre-mixing or stirring necessary – just drop a tablet in to your water

More electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium) than the leading sports drink

Only 10 calories per serving

bacpacker
09-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Looks like a nice product. I've saw it sold at a local backpacking store. I will be picking up some next time I'm by there to try out.

greenbeetle
09-21-2011, 04:04 AM
Heheh I thought this thread said "The importance of hydrogen" at first glance.

I thought they debunked the 8 glasses of water per day thing.

Sniper-T
09-26-2011, 03:18 PM
tried a 9 hour adventure race on the weekend (hiking/ canoeing, and biking.) Drank and ate smart... but not enough. gassed out after 7-1/2 hours. and at that point it took another 5 liters of liquids before I had my first #1 of the day.

Previous to that point, I had drunk approx 7.5 liters of water or gateraid.

What is key... is not the physical qty... the number value... but to make an honest effort to replace what you are sweating out. Strange to think that after drinking almost 2 gallons, I was still dehydrated. I should have known better, as not having to urinate is one of the first signs of dehydration.

Had this been a survival situation... I might not have...