PDA

View Full Version : Navy Destroyer Attacked

Stg1swret
10-10-2016, 11:39 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/10/10/houthi-rebels-fire-2-missiles-at-us-navy-destroyer-in-red-sea.html

It seems that our enemies in the Middle east are no longer content to just harass our naval assets in the Red Sea/Persian Gulf area. Our present administration also appears to not want to ruffle feathers. It is a sad commentary on U.S. power in the world. What is it going to take for our government to wake up and realize that there are Islamic factions out there that mean to do us real harm.

Illini Warrior
10-10-2016, 02:29 PM
already made the comment elsewhere .... if we had a REAL president - there'd be a strike force of B-52 bombers making a statement already this morning ...

Brownwater Riverrat 13
10-10-2016, 04:56 PM
Well I knew it would get worse and this was going to get brought up. The UAE ship wasn't just any ship...........they blew up MY FUCKIN SHIP! Not just any ship, it was MINE, I was there for the birth, put it in the water and put her in service. I went through the Australian Maritime College for High speed navigation courses for this, all civilian training, qualified as a open ocean Master, I ran her threw the ringer and she was the best ship I ever had all the way around. She survived and still floating, hull number 61, the HSV-2 SWIFT, I was the Command Senior Chief of the Gold Crew and we put her through some pretty cool shit. Interesting history if you look her up. But to watch her get destroyed by these.......................well let's just say I'll keep these comments to myself. But it leaves a deep hole in ones stomach to watch this happen. Knowing how much blood, sweat and one may never know what else we put into that high speed vomit comet. But here's a recent article i found that actually jives, like he was onboard. Check out the videos and pics. I was also on HSV-X1 Joint Venture, used her as a FOB for the brownwater Navy well you can look that one up. Took it to Iraq, oil platforms, played in the river, blah, blah. Straight from there and I went to Tasmania to build SWIFT, gotta make a better one! I got to play with some pretty cool toys before i retired.

https://4threvolutionarywar.wordpress.com/2016/10/06/hsv-2-swift-after-attack-colonel-cassad/

When you're a "PLANKOWNER" these ships become something more than just a command, they are part of your soul. I commissioned two and De-commissioned one. The Mine Hunter has already been scrapped was in service from 96-2015, the ship I decommissioned was supposed to be ready to "lite off" and be operational in 90 days, so she had to be in like new condition (Class B decomm) she was decommissioned in OCT1995 now ..........Final Disposition, disposed of as a target, 21 July 2003 in the VACAPES OPAREA 31°.17.2 N x 7°.35.16 W.

SO my last one get blown up be these little fuckers............what's to comment? Our job in the Navy is to keep the sea lanes open....and little acts of piracy thrown in for good measure. So that's why we are there right now and that's why the little destroyer is getting shot at. So let's get a lock on the little fleas on the beach and wax their asses. As far as the small boats go, that's just target practice, give the cooks a break, everyone gets trigger time. Police your brass and carry on smartly swab.

Kesephist
10-10-2016, 07:53 PM
already made the comment elsewhere .... if we had a REAL president - there'd be a strike force of B-52 bombers making a statement already this morning ...

Mmmm, maybe some Nighthawks or the odd Tomahawk sortie...

As for BWRR's genteel suggestions regarding their small boats... yes, sir, yes, sir, three bags of .50BMG brass full, sir. And get the Old Man some trigger time on them little bastards, too... he damn well better be a man-o-warsman sailor if he's sailing them waters.

I'm an old Heinlein addict (he was USN thru and thru, Canoe U grad and all... the only reason he left was tuberculosis and he fought that as hard as he could) and I'm minded that in one of his space juvenile novels one of his characters said "A ship is not just steel." A good, valid, and actually tangible point, and from which I understand your proper and just sentimentality regarding the ships you served on. And it seems to be universal amongst proper navies.

That disgusting BS that happened with our small boats shoulda been a good hard slap to wake everybody up with.

Kesephist
10-10-2016, 08:31 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/10/10/houthi-rebels-fire-2-missiles-at-us-navy-destroyer-in-red-sea.html

It seems that our enemies in the Middle east are no longer content to just harass our naval assets in the Red Sea/Persian Gulf area. Our present administration also appears to not want to ruffle feathers. It is a sad commentary on U.S. power in the world. What is it going to take for our government to wake up and realize that there are Islamic factions out there that mean to do us real harm.

A real C-in-C for a start.

If there's a next time, recruit some extremely salty CMCPO or Marine CSM and run him.

Someone who's been there and done that, and can tell the f'ng tale.

Someone who would literally kick asses and take names. "Your people are screwing up, Secretary whatever... you have 24 hours to hand me their resignations, or yours."

And fergossakes get him a VP that can take the load with him. Put his ass to work, not just sit his ass at the Naval Observatory and twiddle his thumbs waiting to pull an LBJ. Navy guys... was there ever a ship you served on that the Old Man and the XO weren't just about Siamese friggin' twins?

RHL3 is right. Running a country means you check your ego at the door. And lobbing Tomahawks at someone that has opened fire on a warship under our ensign is NOT ego. It's showing what the hell happens when you do stupid crap like that.

Sniper-T
10-10-2016, 11:15 PM
America has turned into a bunch of pussies. The fact that this attack was not met with LETHAL force, shows what this tool pres has done to a great nation. Jesus Fuck guys, get your shit together!!!

bacpacker
10-11-2016, 01:26 AM
Read an article about this today. Unbelievable that place ain't a smoking pile of rubble about now. Well with our traitors in chief, I guess not surprising. What are the bets Iran is involved? I find it highly doubtful Yemen rebels are buying missles. This really ties in to the article about Saudi getting ready to hit Syria. Iran is squarely in the middle of that.

Rat sorry to hear about your old command. That looks to be a fairly large vessel. Not what I was expecting from a "Swift Boat".

Stg1swret
10-11-2016, 12:18 PM
The USS Mason, has the capability to have taken out the "mutts" that fired on them. I will be willing to bet there was some interesting message traffic between the Mason's CO and CENTCOM, and CENTCOM and the rest of the Chain of Command. The ultimate result from our Chicken in Chief, let's not start an international incident. Of course , threy got it backwards, had the Mason returned fire, they would have ended an international incident. The Mason's CO must have been extremely pissed at being told to stand down and do nothing. I know some of the ship CO's I served on would have fired back, and claimed later that we had communication problems, and never received the message to stand down.
I'm intimately familiar with the technology involved in targeting and hitting the persons responsible, and it could have happened immediately after those missiles/rockets were fired. There would have been a few less jihadist to fight after the Mason fired.

bacpacker
10-12-2016, 12:45 AM
As it should have been handled.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
10-12-2016, 12:57 AM
I concur with STG1, I believe that the Mason's CO was under COMNAVSWEATGULF orders. They have the capability to squash that bug in a heart beat once those missiles were launched they had a lock. I'm telling ya leadership is really gotta be fuckin tense on these commands that are in the gulf.

Stg1swret
10-12-2016, 12:55 PM
Here it is 4 days later, and the administration and the Pentagon have yet to come up with a response. What is it going to take to get this administration to take action. We are headed in the same direction we were before Pearl Harbor. If you appear weak, and do nothing to check aggression, you get attacked.

Fidel MD
10-12-2016, 05:39 PM
USS Macon, USS Maddox..... Same same.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
10-12-2016, 06:37 PM
Well, "keep your heads down till we figure it out" ............."steam around in circles OK?"

As the administration says, "We are keeping a close eye on things, but we have yet to determine who exactly is responsible before we can actually determine whether there is a threat. Then we will be able to negotiate a possible counter strike with those responsible for the alleged parties. Those that might have actually launched the alleged missiles, but we have no conformation whether they were missiles or rockets."

Illini Warrior
10-13-2016, 01:17 AM
you guys are aware there was another missile attack TODAY - http://www.reuters.com/article/us-yemen-security-missiles-idUSKCN12C294

bacpacker
10-13-2016, 11:52 PM
The Navy launched some Tomahawk missles at Yemen today, supposedly going after radar sites used to guide the Houti missles fired at the US ships. Here is a story that includes a video.

https://navaltoday.com/2016/10/13/video-us-launches-tomahawks-at-yemen-after-another-attack-on-uss-mason/

Video: US launches Tomahawks at Yemen after another attack on USS Mason

Guided missile destroyer USS Nitze (DDG 94) has launched Tomahawk missiles against Yemen’s Houthi fighters in response to repeated anti-ship missile launches at U.S. Navy destroyer USS Mason.

In the morning hours of October 13, USS Nitze struck and destroyed three radar sites in Houthi-controlled territory on Yemen’s Red Sea coast.

The strikes were authorized by U.S. president Barack Obama at the recommendation of Secretary of Defense Ash Carter and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs General Joseph Dunford.

Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said the strikes were a limited, self-defense measure aimed at protecting personnel, ships, and freedom of navigation in the maritime passageway.

“The United States will respond to any further threat to our ships and commercial traffic, as appropriate, and will continue to maintain our freedom of navigation in the Red Sea, the Bab al-Mandeb, and elsewhere around the world,” Cook said.

bacpacker
10-14-2016, 12:07 AM
Here is another story from Fox. Looks like Iran is upping the stakes.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/10/13/us-missiles-destroy-houthi-controlled-radar-sites-on-yemen-coast.html

Iran deploys warships off Yemen after US, Houthis trade fire

Iran deployed two warships off Yemen threatening to further escalate tensions after the U.S. fired Tomahawk cruise missiles destroying three coastal radar sites in Houthi-controlled territory, a U.S. official confirmed to Fox News on Thursday.

Iran sent the ships to the Gulf of Aden, one of the world's most vital shipping routes, "to protect trade vessels from piracy," Iran's semi-official Tasnim news agency reported.
Still, analysts warn the move could ratchet up the danger to U.S. forces in the region. U.S. intelligence has linked Iran to the funding of Yemen's Shiite rebels, who have also waged a series of attacks against Saudi Arabia, a longtime U.S. ally.

The U.S. official said the Houthis indeed fired missiles targeting American ships twice over just four days. The ships were not hit. The U.S. destroyed the coastal radar sites early Thursday.

Fox News is told one of the Iranian ships carries the same type of anti-ship missiles the Houthis were suspected of firing this week, and the other ship carries a helicopter. White House Deputy Press Secretary Eric Schultz said the U.S. would not speculate on the Iranians' intentions.
A U.S. official told Fox News a Chinese warship and Russian intelligence ship were in the same region Thursday.

In January, Iran's Revolutionary Guard captured 10 U.S. Navy sailors after their two boats drifted into Iranian territorial waters in the Persian Gulf. The Americans were released roughly 16 hours later. The U.S. also accused Iran of engaging in dozens of "unsafe and unprofessional" interactions with the U.S. Navy, including the shadowing of a U.S. patrol ship last month.

Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said President Barack Obama authorized the strikes at the recommendation of Defense Secretary Ash Carter and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Joseph Dunford. He added that these were limited self-defense strikes conducted to protect U.S. personnel, ships and freedom of navigation.

The USS Nitze launched the missiles, Cook added.

Meanwhile, the state news agency Saba -- under Houthis' control -- quoted an unnamed military official as saying that U.S. accusations that a U.S. destroyer had come under attack from areas under control of Houthis were false.

Stg1swret
10-14-2016, 01:34 PM
It is starting to get a little warm in the Persian Gulf region. Let's just hope cooler heads prevail. We may just be in a shooting war over there soon, Iranian's are just too unpredictable. They will push the envelope just as far as they can. I see a lot of GQ ( general quarters) time in our sailor's future.

Illini Warrior
10-14-2016, 03:05 PM
**** ALERT ****

if you haven't heard - Obammy is having a Top Level staff meeting - TOMORROW - to discuss crossing the Russian "Red Line" and start attacking Syrian military directly - basically attacking Russian assets and personnel - direct combat with Russian fighters flying protection ....

IS Obammy Crazy Enough?

Kesephist
10-14-2016, 08:38 PM
**** ALERT ****

if you haven't heard - Obammy is having a Top Level staff meeting - TOMORROW - to discuss crossing the Russian "Red Line" and start attacking Syrian military directly - basically attacking Russian assets and personnel - direct combat with Russian fighters flying protection ....

IS Obammy Crazy Enough?

like the chemical weapons line?

I'd not be surprised if BHO thinks HE is the Caliph. And that sacrificing the Great Satan will cement his place. Look for any sudden trips to places not likely to be nuked.

I'm screwed, no means to get out in time. And anyone that thinks Vegas isn't a big fat target need only look to Nellis and Creech on one side and Indian Springs on the other.

Illini Warrior
10-14-2016, 09:05 PM
like the chemical weapons line?

I'd not be surprised if BHO thinks HE is the Caliph. And that sacrificing the Great Satan will cement his place. Look for any sudden trips to places not likely to be nuked.

I'm screwed, no means to get out in time. And anyone that thinks Vegas isn't a big fat target need only look to Nellis and Creech on one side and Indian Springs on the other.

that was a Obammy Red Line - this is poking the Bear again and harder this time .... the last time it was tit for tat - the Russians then issued their Red Line - a Putin Red Line

is Obammy trying to work in a false flag for the elections or is crazy enough to start WW3 over Syrian Muslims that hate our guts as much as ISIS .....

Fatty
10-14-2016, 11:20 PM
Got iodine pills?

Illini Warrior
10-15-2016, 12:37 AM
latest on the Yemen situation - Iran has moved a small naval flotilla into that coastal area to oppose the two US destroyers .... the three radar sites destroyed were Iranian operated for the rebel forces - could be a checkmate move by the Iranians

jamesneuen
10-15-2016, 05:07 AM
I dunno about checkmate, more like stalemate for the moment. Till something is done decisively against Iran.

Illini Warrior
10-15-2016, 12:53 PM
I dunno about checkmate, more like stalemate for the moment. Till something is done decisively against Iran.

I'm worried about a sqeeze play between several shore batteries and those ships - the missiles used so far were very simple and coming only in single volley - Iran also has some good diesel subs that could manage that deployment - coordinated attack from 3-4 directions with uber fast surface scrapers won't bode well ....

Stg1swret
10-15-2016, 01:12 PM
The Arleigh Burke class destroyer is capable of handling multiple threats quite easily with a trained crew. Iranian diesel subs aren't really much of a threat in the gulf environment. Fast skimmers with missiles would pose more of a problem then anything else, except aircraft. A well coordinated multi-element attack would pose a problem, but if our ships worked in concert with each other, it would provide a strong defense and counterattack to anything the Iranian's could muster.

Socalman
10-15-2016, 02:23 PM
I am sure our Muslim-In-Chief believes we need to take time to UNDERSTAND those dirtbags.

This is what we have become. How much of this has been heard on mainstream media? Nope, the lamestream media is spending 99% of its hot air on accusations about Trump.

I mean, overall we have become a pussy nation. Our colleges and universities now have "safe places" where "bad words won't hurt?"

Kesephist
10-15-2016, 06:52 PM
I'm worried about a sqeeze play between several shore batteries and those ships - the missiles used so far were very simple and coming only in single volley - Iran also has some good diesel subs that could manage that deployment - coordinated attack from 3-4 directions with uber fast surface scrapers won't bode well ....

Cold-War leftover diesel subs would make excellent practice for a Los Angeles -class fast-attack... help clean out some of the older conventional torpedo stocks out. Might even be able to deal with some of the speedboats, if not their mother-ship.

Right about now the Nitze and the Mason are weapons-ready or should be... not wanting to be a next-generation Cole. Every man-o'warsman commander wants a piece of these dregs, and right now... and I for one do not blame them.

Alas, the military is, for now, being run by a bunch of damned wimps, compliments of the former junior senator from Illinois.

RHL3 said it properly years ago: The purpose of a military, at the most basic, is to kill people and break things. Them jokers wanted to kill US sailors by firing missiles at their vessel. That they get fired back on is no more than just, and taking out the radar sites that were used to guide the damn missiles in the first place is also likewise just.

Iran, though...I would not be surprised if a massive "industrial accident" occurs just before they reach a point to be able to make nukes.

Illini Warrior
10-16-2016, 03:33 AM
more missile attacks today from Yemen on US Navy assets - no details posted except no hits and no return fire ... AGAIN

realist
10-16-2016, 05:10 AM
Whatever happened to return fire if fired upon????

Stg1swret
10-16-2016, 08:07 AM
We wouldn't want to possibly harm any innocent civilians, would be the administrations answer to why we aren't firing back immediately. I say shoot back first, ask permission after the fact.