PDA

View Full Version : prayer request

bacpacker
11-16-2016, 01:32 PM
Folks, we could sure use your prayers right now. The wife just went back to have a total shoulder replacement. We knew this was coming since last December when she had a failed rotator cuff surgery. It finally got to be more than she could tolerate.
We're not sure how much function she will have. But should be a big relief from the pain. Wish her well.

eagle326
11-16-2016, 04:00 PM
Done son.

bacpacker
11-16-2016, 04:14 PM
Well talked to Dr. Surgery went well. The tissue needed to make the replacement work was in much better shape than for th rotator repiar. He feels like this should be a big help with the pain.

mitunnelrat
11-17-2016, 01:35 AM
Glad to hear. You two continue in my thoughts and pr ayers.

Sniper-T
11-17-2016, 02:07 AM
damn boy!

This is what my Dr.s keep telling me is next. Best prayers and wishes my friend. pls keep us updated.

T70
11-17-2016, 03:04 AM
Done!! Hope she recovers quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T70
11-17-2016, 03:10 AM
Done!! Hope she recovers quickly.

AlphaTea
11-17-2016, 05:17 AM
Prayers sent.

realist
11-17-2016, 01:26 PM
Hey just saw this. Prayers go out to her. Pain is something everyone deals with differently. My wife could barely lock due to pain in her foot. She had surgery on her foot and now the pain is gone. So hopefully the same happens to your wife or at least the pain is lessen. Let us know.

ElevenBravo
11-17-2016, 10:51 PM
Ive had both shoulders done, full tear rotator cuff repair... I know the pain.. thoughts and best wishes!

EB

bacpacker
11-18-2016, 02:22 PM
Short updare, we got to come home last night. All in all things are going pretty good. She's in a lot of pain, but not unbearable. Big thing is they gave her stuff to keep her stomach settled down. Pain meds make her throw up and that makes things worse. So far so good.

Now comes the nurse/housekeeper stint. :)

Sniper-T
11-18-2016, 03:49 PM
Great to hear! Thanks for the update. keep on her ass about the rest and recovery and then even more about the rehab! All three will be key in establishing quality of life going forward.

:)

T70
11-18-2016, 04:10 PM
Glad she's home and feeling ok!!

bacpacker
11-18-2016, 11:45 PM
She's not really feeling very good, but we are thrilled she ain't puking. That's her normal MO. The guy that put her out said they were using an IV route instead of a gas. We had discussed this issue with everyone before the surgery and this seemed to be a good option for her. Results are good so far. She had one small 30 minute bout about 10 hours after surgery, but otherwise just quezy at times. The technique is called TIVA, well that's the short hand for it. Should she ever have to have surgery again we will go that route again..

T, I am tryin to keep her under wraps for a while. At this point she don't feel worth fighting it too much, but that will change before long. The OT showed us some simple exercises to start her on to keep it some level of mobile and we have been working on them. PT starts Monday. She is good about doing PT cause she knows that is what will get her back as good as can be. She had three years worth after the car wreck for her neck. But overall it was successful to the degree it could be.

ElevenBravo
11-18-2016, 11:56 PM
Lortab with Jim Beam works WONDERS! (or so Ive heard...)

EB

bacpacker
11-19-2016, 01:45 AM
No acohol for her. Just more likely to make her puke. Ice, phenigrn, and perocet are better.

Katrina
11-19-2016, 04:35 AM
bp
Prayers are out to both of you. If she gets bored have her call me
Love to you both

Brownwater Riverrat 13
11-19-2016, 02:32 PM
OK, a little slow catching up glad to hear she is home and getting ready for therapy. We've already had the shoulder surgery discussions I think. I just hope this is the last of it and she can get back to some sort of a normal routine. PLease keep us posted! Give her my best!

ElevenBravo
11-20-2016, 01:14 AM
phenigrn

ALL HAIL PHEN! This stuff is AWESOME for nausea!

bacpacker
11-20-2016, 04:33 PM
Wife try to keep some on hand. Sometimes that's all that will work.

realist
11-20-2016, 07:11 PM
Opioid based pain pills causes lots of people stomach upset but they do work. The big thing is bringing an advocate for her. My wife was great when I got hurt and we have decided that it is important to have an advocate. Most of the time the person being treated my or may not be able to understand especially when they are under the influence of pain killers. Glad she is doing well.

ElevenBravo
11-20-2016, 08:40 PM
When I had my last shoulder done, I alternated between Lortab and Percoset.. Pain was bearable, but I slept the first 5 days. Which is good, because that is the time of the WORST pain.

My first shoulder I got Motrin 800 and a TENS unit from my doctor, that doctor didnt believe in pain meds. For the first 5 days, I cried like a baby it hurt so bad. Being my first shoulder job, I had no idea what to expect. Needless to say, I was thrilled when the second doctor (years later of course) promised minimum discomfort... better living though chemistry.

EB

bacpacker
11-21-2016, 03:26 AM
Realist, you are correct about having an advocate. She has had several surgeries due the car wreck in 91 related to the her neck. Hand, shoulders (3 times now), neck twice. All have had some level of pain and plenty of rehab afterward. Over the years we have figured out her best pain relief and how to manage (not solve) her stomach problems related to pain meds. This time has been better than any previous. The TIVA technique for knocking her out seems to have been a huge help.

And the ice cuff seems to help out as well.

Sniper-T
11-21-2016, 03:55 AM
I used the ice cuff after my last surgery and it was a godsend. I was off the painkillers on day two, but used the cuff religiously. minimal swelling and bruising too.