PDA

View Full Version : San Diego & Orange county massive power outage!

Twitchy
09-09-2011, 12:14 AM
SAN DIEGO -- A major power outage hit San Diego County, Imperial County and parts of Orange County Thursday, leaving residents throughout the region without power.

The outage knocked out power at the Fox 5 studios at about 3:40 p.m.

Massive power outage hits county - KSWB (http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/kswb-massive-power-outage-hits-county-20110908,0,6894078.story)

Thoughts? concerns?

LUNCHBOX
09-09-2011, 01:18 AM
I like how its called just an outage like it happens all the time. I would worry about the other power sources at this time. They are giving all the warnings of how not to use power but not saying to cut back. IDK-scary.

TEOTWAWKI13
09-13-2011, 04:21 PM
and they issued post outage warnings to boil water...so one grid item going down will affect several others.

bacpacker
09-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Apparently when power went down a sewage treatment plant spilled 3 million gallons of raw sewage. Not a good day there.
I also heard yesterday one guy pulled a electrical board doing maintenanceand that caused the shutdown. It also took a nuc plant off line.

Grumpy Old Man
09-13-2011, 06:24 PM
The nuc plant would be San Onofre just outside of Pendleton. I hadn't heard about the sewage spill or the boil water thing, but that could be over in Imperial County. Only small portions of Orange County were affected, the southern tip, I don't believe it was any farther north than Laguna Beach. I'm leaving Thursday night on a 2 day outer banks tuna trip out of San Diego, so I'll report on what I see first hand.

I think a lot of this reporting was MSM hyperbole.

LUNCHBOX
09-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Other than the actual power outage, you know it could've been MSN hype/lies from the start. Problem with that is there's always a little truth in most lies.

Grumpy Old Man
09-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Very true Lb. My friends in San Diego County had their power back on at ~ 8 pm that night. Local news says all residential power was restored by 10:30 pm. But it could have been a dry run, you just never can tell.