PDA

View Full Version : FML: AKA Getting Kicked in the Sack

The Stig
09-13-2011, 11:25 PM
Mrs Stig has been driving a 8 year old Windstar minivan that has had a laundry list of mechanical problems. While it only has 80,000miles I felt it was time to get her into a different vehicle before the trade value of the van went from peanuts to subzero. Also, while she had never been left stranded, I didn't want there to be a first time.

She went looking around and lo a behold she finds a 2008 Nissan Armada. While I'd prefer a Toyota product, and have never had a Nissan, the reviews all seemed favorable and the idea of a massive V8 SUV appeals to my inner man-beast. That, and we can't afford a Toyota that doesn't have 1,000,000,000,000 miles or isn't beat to death.

Saturday we go to the dealership. While it had more miles than I would have liked (65k) the price was decent and it was loaded with every feature known to man possibly including sex toys and espresso machines. But the car salesman was good (not a total pile of steaming douche) and they gave me what I wanted for trade, worked on the price and a deal was struck.

So we drive home bursting with pride. We've replaced the wife's suspect minivan with a King Tiger of a vehicle, we bought used to get more for our money, stayed within our budget, and ended up getting a really nice SUV for a fraction of the price.

After several years of no car payments, scrimping and saving, not going on vacations, and living within our means we decided to treat ourselves a tiny bit.

Life is good right?

Nope. Damn thing broke down today and left my wife stranded. I'm out of town so the exact scenario I wanted to avoid unfolded. If you have delicate eyes and don't like swearing please quit reading right now.

FUCK.MY.LIFE

Fortunately, Mrs Stig has a good head on her shoulders and called the dealership, arranged for the tow, got her mother to pick her and Lil Stig up and had everything arranged before she even called me.

There is a silver lining. It came with a 1000mile/30 day warranty from the dealer plus we sprang for the extended warranty. I almost never get those but because the Queen Elizabeth III has so many gizmos I wanted some protection for all those little motors, pumps, electronics, etc.

But really? We make it 8 years no problems. 3 days with the new thing and she's on the side of the road.

Unfuckingbelievable :mad:

piranha2
09-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Sounds like you are living my life.

ak474u
09-14-2011, 12:02 AM
Did you buy it from a Nissan Dealer? Armadas are pretty nice, the only thing I've seen crap out is airbag sensors, and when you change the battery the ABS light will come on and stay on till you go to the dealer and get it turned off. If it wasn't Nissan that sold it to you, get a Nissan dealer to look up the VIN# for warranty history, AND active recalls, there WILL be a few unless the dealer took care of them. Sorry about the bad luck though, Murphy says hi.

bacpacker
09-14-2011, 01:12 AM
Sorry to hear about the problems Stig. My cousin has an Armada for several years now and has had no problems I'm aware of. I had understood them to be pretty nice vehicle's. I, like you, prefer Toyota's, but I have heard nothing about the Armada to turn me off from them.
Good thought process on Mrs. Stig's part. She did good.
Believe me though, Mr Murphy has been making his rounds up here to. I will start a thread with some of my "LUCK".

RedJohn
09-14-2011, 01:18 AM
I am a firm believer that everything that you do to avoid something will lead you straight there.

The Stig
09-14-2011, 01:51 AM
Good thought process on Mrs. Stig's part. She did good.

I was proud of the way she handled it. She called the dealership, arranged the tow, talked to the service people, etc. Like I said, she handled it all before I heard the first word of it.

It's good to know that other than problems with Lil Stig, Mrs Stig is level headed and able to handle things.

izzyscout21
09-14-2011, 03:38 AM
As the resident Nissan Salesman...............you should have just driven over here to see me.

The Stig
09-21-2011, 01:45 AM
An update for those who care. We've worked out an agreement with the dealership. It got ugly because the service adviser is a window licking retard but once I got the general manager involved we started making progress. He's really been very good about focusing on solutions and giving us options in an effort to save the situation. I've been impressed.

We should get the Armada back in the next few days.

bacpacker
09-21-2011, 01:50 AM
Glad to hear they are going to stand behind it.

izzyscout21
09-21-2011, 10:42 PM
As per our phone conversation, I hope all works out for you Stig.

Sniper-T
09-22-2011, 05:22 PM
So what was wrong with it?

Stormfeather
09-23-2011, 09:02 PM
I think AK47U said it best. . .

"Murphy says hi!"

Seems to be the story of my life! Hope all turned out good with the truck!

The Stig
09-23-2011, 09:22 PM
So what was wrong with it?

The tranny was dead. Odd for 65,000 miles, and Nissan is generally well regarded for their powertrains.

Part of our agreement with the dealership is that we're taking the vehicle to an actual Nissan dealer (this is all being done at the Toyota dealership where we purchased it). They are going to give it a top to bottom inspection. I'm hoping the transmission was a fluke thing, but if the inspection reveals some jackhole tore up the truck the original dealership will buy it back.

TEOTWAWKI13
09-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Izzy, Maryville, TN isn't too far from me. Where do you sell Nissan's? I sell Chrysler/Dodge/Mostly Jeeps/and a few Ram trucks in Chatt.

Stig, hope it works out right, sounds as if they're doing right by you. If not, looks as though you got two insiders to draw intel from. :)

izzyscout21
09-28-2011, 03:10 PM
I actually sell for Ted Russell Nissan up in Knoxville.

TEOTWAWKI13
09-28-2011, 10:35 PM
I actually sell for Ted Russell Nissan up in Knoxville.

10-4. I moved up here in April to start and run the internet department here. Although, I'm about burned out on car sales. I've become buddies with a guy who might want me to run the sales division of his 4x4 parts/install store. He does lift kits, suspensions, and Diesel performance. Got a little gold mine, and I could turn it from $100k a month gross business to $250-300k a month business real quick for him. We'll see how that pans out. Could make us both a lot of money. :)

But we'll see....for now, I'm selling Jeeps and stuff.