PDA

View Full Version : What's everyone doing right now?

LUNCHBOX
04-18-2017, 02:58 PM
I know we all plan, train and prep for bad things to come so....With all the worries and scares going on right now in the news, what's everyone doing different than normal?

I'll give a small example. I don't keep all my mags loaded 24/7/365 but soon I feel that will change.

Sniper-T
04-18-2017, 03:09 PM
Adding to the pantry at a faster rate...

Katrina
04-18-2017, 08:32 PM
I'm also adding to the larder more now. The shed is on track for this May, then first floor laundry. Floors will be redone in the fall. Can't wait till something else breaks now that we are on track for the work. Not sure if I posted this but sump switch burned out, then next day the oven went out Palm Sunday. Repair estimate was over $400 AND they couldn't come out till AFTER Easter, they had to "order" the part and it would take till after Easter to get part in. Repair guy tried to sell DH a very expensive warranty contract but I said pay the man for the service call and We'll figure out how to fix it our selves. DH went on line to Sears DIY area and wonders of wonders we could order the part, get it in 4 days and install it ourselves. The best part is with the expedited mail cost us about $160.00 NOT the $280.00 the repair guy quoted us for just the part. If my dad were here he would have had a conniption as he worked at Sears (part-time) and knew how to get the parts for us (with his discount) AND he would have come down and fixed the oven for us. We have to return the control panel they sent as it was wrong one. Had DH use a DIY hack to remove plastic face and reuse it. Repair said they would have to order the plastic panel as the glue wouldn't be any good . Told DH take the hair dryer and heat up the panel on the front of the control board, peel it off and re stick it to the new control board. Hair dryer hack works to help get price stickers off on things without having to "chip" the tag off. So I thought why not try it on the old control board, worked great.

bacpacker
04-18-2017, 08:40 PM
Adding some goods and planting even more.

Gunfixr
04-19-2017, 01:10 AM
Preparing for a change of lifestyle, from city living to country living.
Working on getting the country living house in order.
Actually, I'm letting the pantry dwindle, so I'll have less to move. Plus, with all the kids now gone, I'll need to re-evaluate it. We're not using as fast as thought, so it's aging more than planned. It's still good, but not looking to push it.

But right now, at this moment?
Having some bourbon, listening to some old tunes on the turntable.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

Sniper-T
04-19-2017, 01:43 AM
^
Geez, that sucks pal.... you know I would send you some cash if you asked... You can buy some rum to drink and clean your toilets with that bourbon as it is intended...

ak474u
04-19-2017, 03:04 AM
Not stockpiling food currently, in fact, we gave away just about everything that would've gone bad before we get off our diet. (I've lost 18lbs in 3.5 weeks). High carb is temporarily out of the question, so we gave away a lot of stuff. We're probably gonna go ahead and get some pre-packed freeze dried stuff because if SHTF, nobody will need a "diet" to stay fit, so who cares about carbs? We have always stocked what we ate, and right now, we can't do that without basically wasting money on stuff we won't eat. Been trying to buy more ammo, and get some gear upgraded as well. I've built a few new holsters and mag pouches to work into my EDC setup.

Vodin
04-19-2017, 01:56 PM
Sorry I feel off the edge of the page. But I am back. I am doing things now not because of my view on world situations.
1> Pressing for a larger chunk of business. (Own a company for the last 19 years and want to make more of it.)
2> Beef up the reserves in pantry. (Has be a difficult time over the last few years and need to replinesh the supplies.)
3> Expand on the Aquaponic system. (It is fun and wanna try something different.)
4> Create a greater harvest output in the soil gardens. (Placed a mental challenge and trying surpass it)

Gunfixr
04-19-2017, 05:34 PM
^
Geez, that sucks pal.... you know I would send you some cash if you asked... You can buy some rum to drink and clean your toilets with that bourbon as it is intended...
Lol. I do rum also, but sometimes I change it up.
Scotch even, now and again.

bacpacker
04-19-2017, 11:42 PM
Brandy

Illini Warrior
04-20-2017, 01:51 AM
it's spring - toooo damn buzy with the regular seasonal stuff to do much out of the ordinary .... another 2 weeks til a early & risky start to the garden ....

this weekend is the kick-off for the garage sale season - 1,000 garage sales every weekend for the next couple of months ....

watching the whole Korean thing in one direction - in the other direction looking to see if the BLM and anti-Trump liberal crap is going to go hot with the better weather ....

Fatty
04-20-2017, 11:02 AM
Looking up this "antifa" crap and they're tactics
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/04/antifa-leftist-terror-group-selling-concealed-knives-slicing-conservatives-website/

Gunfixr
04-21-2017, 04:53 PM
I have ordered some ammo lately. Self Defense stuff in 9mm, 45acp, and 45 colt. What I had was pretty old, and better stuff has come out. Didn't even have anything in 45 colt. Probably use a revolver around the property.
Upgraded my night vision.

Sniper-T
04-21-2017, 11:37 PM
also going to step up the weekend target shooting...

Brownwater Riverrat 13
04-22-2017, 02:59 PM
OK, "What have I been doing?" .........heavy sigh..........ok since I last was on I think The dog took the hit, He's now better, great as a matter of fact, BUT, the next day was the bloody rooster, two days after was the wisdom teeth (stepson), then the day after that was the tornado across the street (near miss, no shitter), we had some roof damage and trees down, got lucky again, neighbor, no so much, filled giant hole in road from where tree fell down, then there was the water pumps, the step sons car, my suburban, and then the fuel pump on the mower, the U-joints on the Blazer, and then the transmission on the MIL's car (did I spell that right?) Trying to find her a newer car now, her old one isn't worth fixin.

Looked at one piece of property near Lynchburg, 96 acres, log cabin, after the price it cost too much to bring it up to our standards. Going to look at a few more here soon. If it will ever stop raining, every time I try to start something it's gotta rain on it. I'm trying to prep to move! Shit just ain't cooperating..............but we'll get there, cause I don't quit.

The ants go marching one by one, hoo-yah.......

ak474u
04-22-2017, 04:02 PM
OK, "What have I been doing?" .........heavy sigh..........ok since I last was on I think The dog took the hit, He's now better, great as a matter of fact, BUT, the next day was the bloody rooster, two days after was the wisdom teeth (stepson), then the day after that was the tornado across the street (near miss, no shitter), we had some roof damage and trees down, got lucky again, neighbor, no so much, filled giant hole in road from where tree fell down, then there was the water pumps, the step sons car, my suburban, and then the fuel pump on the mower, the U-joints on the Blazer, and then the transmission on the MIL's car (did I spell that right?) Trying to find her a newer car now, her old one isn't worth fixin.

Looked at one piece of property near Lynchburg, 96 acres, log cabin, after the price it cost too much to bring it up to our standards. Going to look at a few more here soon. If it will ever stop raining, every time I try to start something it's gotta rain on it. I'm trying to prep to move! Shit just ain't cooperating..............but we'll get there, cause I don't quit.

The ants go marching one by one, hoo-yah.......

I know the feeling, we had 10k+ in damage on 3/26 from hail (keep in mind, my house is 1714 sq ft, so that's a lot). Our garden got beat down pretty good that night, fast forward to yesterday, the garden is/was fully recovered, and voila! 30 minute quarter sized hail storm! My onion beds look like somebody took a weed eater to them. :( Luckily, I haven't fixed any damage yet. My job is a dumpster fire right now, I have 2 cars that probably should be replaced this year, etc.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
04-22-2017, 04:34 PM
OH, we got a check from the ins. co. and we have to send it to the mortgage co. for them to endorse it, then we can deposit it. THEN I can get the roof "replaced" then I'll have to copy receipts to ins. and mortgage companies. Just to keep ME honest of course. Never can be too honest I always say...........
I'm more concerned about the roof than anything else. I have burn piles stacked all over the place, can't burn cause it's too wet. Next week I should be able to spray, spread and burn, after I mow of course. The vehicles I'll run, maintain and fix best I can till they die, except the MIL. different animal. :rolleyes:

Gunfixr
04-23-2017, 02:56 PM
Brr, Lynchburg, as in what state?

Brownwater Riverrat 13
04-23-2017, 04:48 PM
Tennessee Brother, Jack Daniels, we have a few friends in that county and it's close to the rest of the family.

Gunfixr
04-24-2017, 04:33 PM
OK, there's a Lynchburg in my state, too.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
04-28-2017, 05:35 PM
Yes, I remember, I went to American History when I went to school too! Geography, you know, all them things they don't teach in school any more. Hey, at least WE learned something in school..............

Never did make it to Lynchburg, Va when I was in and out of that state, they have a lot of history there too. I dig American history.

Socalman
04-30-2017, 03:53 PM
Work in the recent days of garden, about ready to put in some eggplant and 2nd planting of green beans. About to rotate some of my stored gasoline. I usually try to wait until I have about 1/3 of a tank then add 5 gallons of my old stuff, head to the gas station to finish a fill and then refill the 5 gallon container, with preservative of course.

Added a bit of stored can goods as well as some dried beans and rice. Added another weeks worth of stored water yesterday. I have not added much ammo recently, but here in the DPRK (Democratic People's Republik of Kalifornya) online purchase of ammunition will soon be a thing of the past.

We had some high winds the past few days that took down some large limbs from trees. Took some time cleaning up that mess.

realist
05-02-2017, 01:57 AM
Life is good, had a great time wine tasting this weekend and now this week it is on to Tahoe for a reunion of a bunch of derelicts.

Socal man you need to start reloading. You can buy everything you need without a problem. Need brass I just went through 1,500 pounds of once fired range brass. So if you need some let me know.

Fatty
05-17-2017, 08:36 PM
Just came across this from another forum-
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/17/dnc-funds-resistance-summer-in-hopes-harnessing-trump-opposition.html

Wouldn't be surprised if this gets pushed under the antifa group.

Just a heads up

Kesephist
05-18-2017, 12:46 AM
Just came across this from another forum-
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/17/dnc-funds-resistance-summer-in-hopes-harnessing-trump-opposition.html

Wouldn't be surprised if this gets pushed under the antifa group.

Just a heads up

Pushed under?

Pshaw, man... it IS Antifa, getting codified and regimented .. shades of the SA back in the late 1920s Germany.

My grandfather would be either laughing his butt off at this, or having a towering, thundering, apoplectic rage that would make Andrew Jackson at his angriest look like a girl scout.

Prepare, people. Only fools would think that our best chance out of this fix would be to let the matter go uncontested. Or that the opposition had any notion about "fair play", "rule of law" or plain, simple mercy, except as it benefited them and/or hindered us.

Grant is alleged to have told Lincoln, before he was made General-in-Chief,

"I will attack our enemies at all times and in all places. I will take away his crops, his animals, the food he has sheltered, his railroads, his industry, his clothing, his ammunition. his gunpowder , his steel, his armanent, his salt, and I will take from him the flower of his youth. I will destroy everything my enemy loves and anything that might give him the means or the hope to prevail."

This from a war 150 years ago. I dread that we will end up having to do these very same things. I dread it... but will not flinch from it, if such has to be done. I will do it exactly as long as is needful, and not one second longer.

de K I 7 C I L

Kesephist

Socalman
05-18-2017, 07:19 AM
Life is good, had a great time wine tasting this weekend and now this week it is on to Tahoe for a reunion of a bunch of derelicts.

Socal man you need to start reloading. You can buy everything you need without a problem. Need brass I just went through 1,500 pounds of once fired range brass. So if you need some let me know.

I have done a little reloading, so far just .38spl and .357. I also have my dies and shell holders for 9mm, .223 and 7.62X39. I have primers, powder and bullits for the 9 and 223. What holds me back is having a place to leave my stuff set up at all times.

helomech
05-18-2017, 06:56 PM
Working 5 days of overtime right now, so 57 hours of time and a half. Also have my 5 ton up for sale, so I can put that money towards my green house that I have been trying to finish for years now.

realist
05-18-2017, 07:19 PM
I have done a little reloading, so far just .38spl and .357. I also have my dies and shell holders for 9mm, .223 and 7.62X39. I have primers, powder and bullits for the 9 and 223. What holds me back is having a place to leave my stuff set up at all times.

Obviously my first choice would be the garage do to space. However I have seen set ups in a small cabinet or even a closet.

helomech
05-18-2017, 07:22 PM

I built a bench in my bedroom, wife didn't like it at first, but she got over it.

Vodin
05-19-2017, 12:57 AM
Selling HP LaserJet Printers.