PDA

View Full Version : Water

Vodin
06-05-2017, 08:30 PM
Gotta question.

When you are in need of water. You find a source but it is not the cleanest. You have nothing specifically for water other than Iodine, container and the clothes on your back. Is it plausible to filter the water through an article of clothing into the container and use ~ 10 drops of Iodine per gallon to make the water less of an issue to drink?

What does Iodine do in water? Was does it fix? What does it not fix?

ak474u
06-06-2017, 02:50 AM
You can filter particulate and solids thru fabric, like a bandana for sure. I've used iodine once, and it made for some nasty water, but it's been so long, I don't know what it doesn't kill.

Sniper-T
06-06-2017, 11:17 AM
the finer the filter, the more it will take out. Start with a single layer of your t-shirt. That'll filter out the chunks, sticks, etc. Then do something finer, like your pants.

Even if you are using an actual water filter, this is still good practice to prefilter tohelp keep the filter cleaner longer.

but no clothing is going to get out the really nasty stuff, so so far all you've done is eliminated how much chewing you need to do before you swallow your water.

Here is how iodine works:
Iodine kills the bacteria in water by disrupting the ionic balance within the pathogenic cells. It replaces the chemicals necessary for the bacteria or virus to thrive with iodide ions.

Note:
If you remember correctly, iodine smelled funny and it dyed your skin orange. It does the same thing to your water and can be toxic if you use too much, just like bleach can. It can be especially harmful to kids and pregnant women and we don’t recommend that you use iodine as your primary water purification method in a survival situation.

However, it will do in a pinch and is most assuredly effective.

Another note:
Iodine only kills living pathogens. If water is contaminated with poisons such as fertilizers or pesticides, heavy metals, certain parasites, radiation, or other forms of toxins, iodine isn’t going to help.

more info here:

http://www.survivopedia.com/how-to-purify-water-with-iodine/

Brownwater Riverrat 13
06-06-2017, 03:26 PM
Or you could have one of these in your front yard............................http://www.homes.com/property/325-hickman-springs-rd-centerville-tn-37033/id-330688156/#!

There's a railroad just over the ridge right behind the house. The road splits the property right there between the spring and the house so everyone drives right through the middle of your property aaand the house is a mobile home. I'm done with this one........next. what a fuckin shame.

helomech
06-06-2017, 09:29 PM
Or you could have one of these in your front yard............................http://www.homes.com/property/325-hickman-springs-rd-centerville-tn-37033/id-330688156/#!

There's a railroad just over the ridge right behind the house. The road splits the property right there between the spring and the house so everyone drives right through the middle of your property aaand the house is a mobile home. I'm done with this one........next. what a fuckin shame.

Monthly property tax over 600 bucks. Damn, I don't pay that a year.

Vodin
06-07-2017, 01:22 AM
I have also come across info stating that 50mg of Vitamin C will clear the flavor for a gallon of water.

bacpacker
06-07-2017, 01:43 AM
I can't recall the exact amount of iodine to use per gallon of water but I seem to recall 8 drops per. I'll bet there is a thread here that has that exact data.

I agree with T, pre filter any water before using a true filter or purifier. Any material will stop them up quickly no matter how fine it is. Purifier is the only thing that will work on chem's toxins, to any degree.

Kesephist
06-07-2017, 07:03 AM
WM sells both Iodine and Halazone tablets. I remember Iodine tabs from the army... the bottle went in the little side pocket of the canteen/canteen cup cover. It had a waxlike something around the rim of the cap to keep moisture out.

I recall reading Ivan had a purifying tablet as well, smelled strongly of chlorine, and acted on precipitating impurities to the bottom of a container or hole. Probably chlorine dioxide or similar.

Katadyn is a big name in field water filtering. As much as they cost, small wonder.

As much as I like PMs, I have to say it... water is the REAL gold. Don't mess about on the cheap on purification methods if it is the stuff you'll be drinking.

bacpacker
06-07-2017, 01:18 PM
A couple other top quality field type purifiers are PUR and Sawyer. I have both, multiple Sawyers actually. For home use I have a big Berky with both types of cartridges. It takes out just about anything. You can also make your own set up using the Berky cartridges and 5 gallon buckets. Just as effective if put together right and a lot more volume if needed.

Vodin
06-08-2017, 10:51 PM
I understand the need for filtration and that will be the first fall back. Redoing the GHB/BOB and wanting to incorporate item with a multi use. Iodine is light, used for wounds and helps with water issues. Thank you for all of your input.

- - - Updated - - -

WM sells both Iodine and Halazone tablets. I remember Iodine tabs from the army... the bottle went in the little side pocket of the canteen/canteen cup cover. It had a waxlike something around the rim of the cap to keep moisture out.

I recall reading Ivan had a purifying tablet as well, smelled strongly of chlorine, and acted on precipitating impurities to the bottom of a container or hole. Probably chlorine dioxide or similar.

Katadyn is a big name in field water filtering. As much as they cost, small wonder.

As much as I like PMs, I have to say it... water is the REAL gold. Don't mess about on the cheap on purification methods if it is the stuff you'll be drinking.

I agree with you Kesephist, just thinking outside the box. If one needs to move (dropping the ruck) better have a fail safe for the 'real gold' :)

Brownwater Riverrat 13
06-10-2017, 04:44 PM
OK, for those that aren't on the "run and gun" has anyone looked into the Ultra violet filtering for those that aren't on city water? I'm thinking about running this system if we ever get our shit together. Found another great piece of property only to zoom out and find a cluster of chicken/broiler houses to the southwest about 3 miles..............scratch another one.

Vodin
06-15-2017, 12:44 AM
I have researched it a bit for Fish tanks. Not really a good thing for Aquaponics since some microorganisms are good. UV kills all of those I understand.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
06-15-2017, 01:32 AM
With as many units, manufactures' and sizes, I imagine it works to some degree.

Ford, Chevy, Mopar............

Gunfixr
06-15-2017, 08:47 PM
As important as water is, I would not skimp on it.
Yes, iodine works, but I, being allergic to seafood, cannot use it. The little sawyer units are so small and light, with huge amounts of capacity, it would be difficult to not try and find a pocket to stick one in. Both I and my wife have one.
I do have a katydin, the pocket microfilter. I purchased it before I knew of the sawyer. Expensive, but an awesome unit.
I kind of decided to skip uv, as it always requires a power source, and takes a little time to be sure. Not that it doesn't work, just didn't seem a good fit for us.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

Brownwater Riverrat 13
06-18-2017, 04:07 PM
Well the reason I ask about UV is I'll be off grid so I'm not going to worry about the power issue. What I want to know is If anyone used it and did they die.............I mean how did it work for them. I'm seeing an annual bulb change, scheduled maint. and cleaning so far. The unit needs to be close to where you are going to be using your water (like the house), recommend using a filter in conjunction with as well. Seems pretty simple to hook up and maintain overall not matter which one you get.

Socalman
06-30-2017, 05:52 AM
I recall tasting some water that had iodine added to "purify" the water. It was back when I was a kid in scouts. Tasted pretty bad, but if you have to drink you could choke it down.

Here in the area of Socal where we live, my concern is what happens when the BIG earthquake takes out the water mains? We do have water stored and could get by for quite some time, but if the water does not flow after about 6 or 8 weeks....

The river that is not too far from us is pretty dirty when it is not dry. I am sure it has its share of giardia as well as fecal contamination from animals and the homeless. My plan is get that water, and run through some filters to eliminate the big stuff. Step two is to boil it (yes, I have fuel for quite a long time) and then after it cools, pour it, aerate it and then add some of the stored chlorine bleach. I haven't the inclination to do the math to know how much water two gallons of chlorine bleach will purify but it is a lot!

Where does this plan break down?

Vodin
06-30-2017, 11:06 PM
UV, sorry for the lapse in thought location. UV is a natural method used to kill bacteria. I understand <-- (have not tested or verified) that you can fill a clear plastic/plastic container and set it in the sunlight. A day of light is said to kill all of the bacteria/diseases in the water. You will still have all of the non living issues in the water.

Socalman, there are many methods of water collection. Have researched the majority since I live in CO (little water to locate)
Rain Barrel 1" of rain water collected from a 1000sqft area = 600 gallons of water.
Hot water heater and the average size house in water lines = ~60 gallons of water (40 gallon hot water heater)
And then if it gets really ruff dew harvesting. http://inspiringfuture.org/wordpress/2014/05/21/dew-harvesting-as-a-means-to-get-clean-drinking-water/

Sniper-T
07-01-2017, 02:45 AM
the plan only breaks down in the event of nuclear. That is where the iodine comes in. It helps your thyroid gland deal with it. Your purification for 'normal' shit is 100% spot on.

Socalman
10-10-2017, 10:05 PM
For those new to the prep side of life, consider purchasing some 6 gallon water jugs from your local Walmart or camping supply place. The advantage of having them is you can move them fairly quickly if necessary. Try moving a 55 gallon drum of water. That drum will about 475 pounds. The 6 gallon jugs are under 50 pounds, so most people can move them.

Start with two jugs, add a teaspoon of chlorine bleach (non-scented)to each one, close it up and it will be good for a long time. I date mine and tend to rotate the water out after about 9 months. It still tastes ok, but fresher water will taste better and the old gets used for irrigation.

Illini Warrior
10-11-2017, 01:28 AM
For those new to the prep side of life, consider purchasing some 6 gallon water jugs from your local Walmart or camping supply place. The advantage of having them is you can move them fairly quickly if necessary. Try moving a 55 gallon drum of water. That drum will about 475 pounds. The 6 gallon jugs are under 50 pounds, so most people can move them.

Start with two jugs, add a teaspoon of chlorine bleach (non-scented)to each one, close it up and it will be good for a long time. I date mine and tend to rotate the water out after about 9 months. It still tastes ok, but fresher water will taste better and the old gets used for irrigation.

you need the 5/6/7 gallon sized jugs for re-supply foraging - if the outside SHTF situation and environment allows - the rule is that it's always "gather while u can" and "keep prepping" ... don't ever accept complacency and never buy into the official bulletins concerning SHTF situations & termination dates ....