PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Subaru Forester

helomech
03-05-2018, 07:43 PM
Just went and picked on up, I really like this thing. They eyesight is really awesome.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-06-2018, 02:01 PM
Let me know if you figured out posting pictures, I have some I'd like to put up. I know you want to show us pictures, next to the "deuce & 1/2", right?

helomech
03-06-2018, 02:14 PM
I want to sell the 5 ton bad. Got a wiring issue I have to find and fix first though.

gm2
03-06-2018, 09:12 PM
Helo,
Feel like a drive to michigan? lol

helomech
03-07-2018, 08:16 AM
Helo,
Feel like a drive to michigan? lol

Not really

Fatty
03-07-2018, 07:55 PM
Congrats man!

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-08-2018, 01:15 PM
Sorry to hear that brother. I remember when you got it. What's up with the wiring? Is it the infamous "ground?"

helomech
03-08-2018, 04:30 PM
Sorry to hear that brother. I remember when you got it. What's up with the wiring? Is it the infamous "ground?"

Not sure with the solenoid for the torque converter hooked up the engine dies when you put it in gear. With it disconnected it drives fine, but will not lock up the torque converter when in 5th gear. The actuator is working fine, but something is telling it to lock up when it should not be.

Sniper-T
03-13-2018, 01:03 PM
Nice ride Helo! Sure the mrs will love it.

gm2 - the reason he won't drive it to Michigan is because he's bringing it up to Canada!

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-15-2018, 06:12 PM
Not sure with the solenoid for the torque converter hooked up the engine dies when you put it in gear. With it disconnected it drives fine, but will not lock up the torque converter when in 5th gear. The actuator is working fine, but something is telling it to lock up when it should not be.

OK, you got me, I might have to look that one up. I'm just a basic mech when it comes to these things. I would think that if you unplug the solenoid at the transmission and the symptoms go away, you have found the problem. But then again this can be misleading because you don't know for sure if it's a bad solenoid, dirt in the valve body or a bad signal from the ECM. (If that's where it gets it's signal from.) Is it tied to the brake switch as well? Did you already checked for voltage at the switch and solenoid? I'm just thinking out loud here. Let me know if I get warm, never worked on one of these.

Sniper-T
03-15-2018, 06:20 PM
Good suggestions BWRR, he really should get this fixed before he makes the drive Northward...

helomech
03-16-2018, 03:49 AM
The solenoid is working properly. It stops flow and then opens. Just need to figure out what is telling to open and close. By unplugging it, I am removing power and the transmission works. Plugging it in, it is getting power, but killing the engine.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-18-2018, 03:44 PM
Is the solenoid removable without having to drain any fluid? Thinking out loud again, so you can see physically what it's doing when you apply power. Short of that (pardon the pun) tracing the wiring system to see what else is "in line" with the solenoid. Find out what's going on there. :confused:

What's the year/mark/mod/numbers on that puppy. Maybe I can look at the schematics see if I can trace it out. Hey, it's good additional knowledge for me too!

helomech
03-19-2018, 02:56 AM
Wish I had a schematic, I would have it fixed by now. Yes the solenoid comes out easy. I put power on it, and blew air through it, then removed power and blew air. It works. Just have no idea where the wires go and what actually controls the solenoid.

- - - Updated - - -

It is a M932A2 5 ton. I think 1986, but not sure. I am away from home.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-19-2018, 04:43 PM
Looking at this manual and checking the vehicles covered I might have found your diagram. Check page 820, this one shows a "switch, transmission control" and it's linked to the "spring brake pressure switch".........see if this works for you. It's an 842pg manual, kinda big, but your toy is covered in here.

http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-9-2320-272-24-4.pdf

Hope this helps. :cool:

helomech
03-19-2018, 10:59 PM
Looking at this manual and checking the vehicles covered I might have found your diagram. Check page 820, this one shows a "switch, transmission control" and it's linked to the "spring brake pressure switch".........see if this works for you. It's an 842pg manual, kinda big, but your toy is covered in here.

http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-9-2320-272-24-4.pdf

Hope this helps. :cool:

Thanks, can't believe you where able to find that. Can you tell where it goes after it goes through that capacitor. It goes to another diagram, but not sure how to find that.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-21-2018, 05:37 PM
Page 821, left side of diagram about halfway down, look for wire #586 "solenoid furnished with transmission" that should be it.

Oh, and if you want manuals 1-2-3 just change the last number in the link to to either 1, 2 or 3. Hope you got alot of paper.......

helomech
03-21-2018, 05:41 PM
Page 821, left side of diagram about halfway down, look for wire #586 "solenoid furnished with transmission" that should be it.

Awesome, thanks. I can't figure out how to use those manuals

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-21-2018, 05:50 PM
Uuuuuuuh, I thought you were a "helomech" remind me not to fly in one of your eggbeaters!

Really, no sweat brother, I learned a little bit about electronics in the Navy, lots of fun. Useful even as a civilian now. Let me know what else you need, I'll try and do what I can. I'd test everything in that line, I'm sure it's one of those switches............I hope.

helomech
03-21-2018, 07:45 PM
Uuuuuuuh, I thought you were a "helomech" remind me not to fly in one of your eggbeaters!

Really, no sweat brother, I learned a little bit about electronics in the Navy, lots of fun. Useful even as a civilian now. Let me know what else you need, I'll try and do what I can. I'd test everything in that line, I'm sure it's one of those switches............I hope.

I can read schematics, I meant that crazy ass manual. I can't find crap in it. The aircraft schematics have a lot more crap, but they are laid out better.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-29-2018, 02:05 PM
"Army" manual, what did you expect? OK, I think I said something about having four volumes for this and changing the # in the link. But hey, you think it was easy for a Squid to navigate an Army manual? I had a hard time searching for what I thought you needed, I just hope it was helpful. I'd do some more digging right now but I am "detained elsewhere" between chiropractor (long story) and new property. Busy, busy, busy man. Let me know if you do need some more help, if I've been useful.

eagle326
03-29-2018, 04:26 PM
"Army" manual, what did you expect? OK, I think I said something about having four volumes for this and changing the # in the link. But hey, you think it was easy for a Squid to navigate an Army manual? I had a hard time searching for what I thought you needed, I just hope it was helpful. I'd do some more digging right now but I am "detained elsewhere" between chiropractor (long story) and new property. Busy, busy, busy man. Let me know if you do need some more help, if I've been useful.

Manuals are written in code . You need Secret Squirrel's decoder ring ooorrr a few swallows of Domey's elixir.

gm2
03-29-2018, 08:44 PM
Military Manuals are for people who already know the answer and just want to prove they know it to someone else. I have never had any luck with them.

helomech
03-30-2018, 02:32 AM

Very helpful, thank you.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
04-22-2018, 09:29 PM
Military Manuals are for people who already know the answer and just want to prove they know it to someone else. I have never had any luck with them.

Coast Guard............one has to be a bit more flexible. I've said it before and I'll say it again. "I have the utmost respect for you guys" that is until now...... they took away the "being able to read" requirement.
I never had a problem with a tech manuals till they put them on CDs. At which point I had my BM2 take the dicks/ah discs and go tie himself to a printer for a few days, two sided copies of course.