PDA

View Full Version : Grappling Hooks: No idea what to use these for but cool nonetheless

The Stig
09-21-2011, 04:24 PM
While surfing my new favorite store Countycomm.com (thanks Izzy :( ) I came across this grappling hook.

I have no idea why I'm thinking this is so cool, nor any uses off the top of my head, but I still think it's cool.

http://www.countycomm.com/_images/hook/hook2large.jpg

The pocket grappling hook was originally built by EOD Robotics, Inc. at the request of a desert warfare operator. He explained his need for a light weight, reusable grappling hook that could be used to snag trip wires or command detonation wires on IEDs in a combat environment. Soon other members of the military saw how useful they were and ordered another production run.

Features include:

Pocket size: stowed size: 1" x 5.5 " (also fits in your collapsible mine probe pouch)
Weight (without water or sand ballast) 5 oz.
Collapsable: The spikes unscrew and are stored in the water resistant O-ring sealed body.
Variable weight: by adding sand, dirt or water into the body of the grappling hook you can increase the weight of the hook for more effective throwing range.

These hooks are not certified for life support activities and should not be used for any life support function. They are designed to pull trip wires.

Versatile: Easy to carry, quick to deploy and quick to stow.
Multi-mission capable: Maritime applications, SWAT, EOD, radio telephone operator
Flexible: use it as a specialized grappling hook to remotely capture lines, tear down phone lines, reposition barbed wire emplacements, disrupt wires, move packages and bags, rake and break windows, tear down blinds/curtains in SWAT entry applications.
Remove the spikes from the outside and use it to cast a line. This is currently being used by military RTOs (radio telephone operators) to string field expedient HF antennas.
Use it as a waterproof storage container to protect important items from water damage (when the spikes are removed).
Materials: The body is made of T6061 aluminum. The spikes are made of 300 series stainless steel

Looks like they have a baby version too:

http://www.countycomm.com/_images/_thumbnails/microhook27large.jpg

Damn...why am I such a sucker for gadgets like this. I am a GearWhore

Sniper-T
09-21-2011, 05:28 PM
we used to make similar ones to that, but the spikes were curved slightly, and barbed. When the fish were in the shallows spawning, we'd toss these out and pull back in jerks. It wasn't uncommon to get 2 fish at a time. post SHTF... I can see something like that useful in a few ways. With some heavy wire they could be used to control 'animals'...

izzyscout21
09-21-2011, 05:31 PM
We used to use these to detonate land mines, IED's and booby traps. Attach a line, toss them out, and drag them across the trip wire.

The Stig
09-21-2011, 05:39 PM
We used to use these to detonate land mines, IED's and booby traps. Attach a line, toss them out, and drag them across the trip wire.

So they actually worked for their intended purpose? Wow. Good to know. I kinda assumed that was website hype.

izzyscout21
09-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Nope. I've used them. they work.

LUNCHBOX
09-22-2011, 02:04 AM
Stig, I wish I would have known...I passed on one last weekend while shopping.---lol. Probably one like Izzy used. (Gear pimping of course)

izzyscout21
09-22-2011, 03:02 AM
Stig, I wish I would have known...I passed on one last weekend while shopping.---lol. Probably one like Izzy used. (Gear pimping of course)

have you no shame??:p

Fatty
09-22-2011, 03:36 AM
I have the 20.00 cheaper than dirt model, works great for taking down trees:)

realist
09-22-2011, 04:59 AM
It is better when you have the robot doing the placement....... Now if you are into gear and really want a toy you need the robot to go with it......

The Stig
09-22-2011, 11:09 AM

Ladies and gentleman......all our new members....I want to warn you about Lunchbox. He is a trouble maker and wallet breaker.

It is better when you have the robot doing the placement....... Now if you are into gear and really want a toy you need the robot to go with it......

Dammit! Now I need a robot.

izzyscout21
09-22-2011, 11:47 AM
me too, me to! I need a robot!

izzyscout21
09-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Ladies and gentleman......all our new members....I want to warn you about Lunchbox. He is a trouble maker and wallet breaker.

Dammit! Now I need a robot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5ef9xiA61M

LUNCHBOX
09-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Stig, Izzy, you guys asking for a robot?......lol.

izzyscout21
09-22-2011, 05:53 PM
I plead the fifth.

piranha2
09-22-2011, 07:25 PM
UMmmmm, we use those or similar (not me, but people I know) down here in gator country to retrieve, well, you get it.

mitunnelrat
09-23-2011, 07:02 PM
LUNCHBOX, if you pull out a robot from somewhere we're gonna have to alter your title. It'll need a "The" at the front!

dragon5126
09-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Did someone mention Robots?