PDA

View Full Version : Out in the open

Idaho J
09-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Can we talk about how we found this site? I mean, it’s kind of a big deal over at the original site, so shouldn’t we discuss it a little… out in the open?

To be honest, I like this type of site, and have no beef with the old or new staff @ SHTF forums. But I was spammed like a lot of people over at the original site.

Can I ask how this forum got our personal email address?

I signed up because I saw a lot of familiar posters that I enjoy the company of. One user gave the analogy “it’s like having a 2nd bar to go to”. And I agree. But I wish I had found this site through different means, as it seems that my personal info was acquired through dubious means.

The Stig
09-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Can we talk about how we found this site? I mean, it’s kind of a big deal over at the original site, so shouldn’t we discuss it a little… out in the open?

To be honest, I like this type of site, and have no beef with the old or new staff @ SHTF forums. But I was spammed like a lot of people over at the original site.

Can I ask how this forum got our personal email address?

I signed up because I saw a lot of familiar posters that I enjoy the company of. One user gave the analogy “it’s like having a 2nd bar to go to”. And I agree. But I wish I had found this site through different means, as it seems that my personal info was acquired through dubious means.

This is one answer from one of the admins of the "other site".

Here is how they got your emails.

There are some of the old regime that have rejoined under different usernames, everyone's email is public knowledge and accessible through your user profile. They simply went into each member's profile they wanted to target and got your email that way...nothing fishy and no reason to be concerned.

Let me assure y'all they have no access to the backside of this site.

Hopefully that removes any worries of "dubious means" or compromised information.

Beyond that there is really little to discuss. People either received the email, found it to be tacky and deleted it, or checked out this site and found it wasn't for them. Either way that's their business and choice. The other option is they got the email, checked us out and found that we offered something of interest.

Prepping is a big enough subject to support many websites. There's far more available than this one and the original place. Here are shtfready.com we hope to provide no-nonsense prep discussions without petty bickering, basement bound warriors spewing stupidity or tin-foil lunatics trashing good threads with gibberish. We hope that you find that content and environment enjoyable and helpful. If it's not your cup of tea, then we wish you the best.

If you felt the method was tacky or underhanded I accept that and wish you the best. As I said there's a host of other prepping websites out there and all of them have their pro's & con's (and frankly I'd hope people would be mature enough to understand belonging to several sites is a good idea). I'm really not interested in discussing them, I'm interested in building the most practical, useful and non-bs related prep information website possible here. Hopefully that will encourage more people to check us out in the future.

Again, I'm not sure what there is to "discuss". Just to be clear: there will be no bashing of the other place here.

ETA: Don't misunderstand, I'm not looking to quash conversation. I just don't see the benefit of someone saying "I don't like how I got the email" and staff replying "uh.....ok." Beyond that, hopefully everybody understands our desire to avoid rehashing history or bashing a different website, which is what I'm afraid this will turn into.

Idaho J
09-21-2011, 07:10 PM
The discussion was because there was also theories posed of an “inside job” or “backdoor access”. So, thank you for your honesty and setting the record straight.

RedJohn
09-21-2011, 07:48 PM
The discussion was because there was also theories posed of an “inside job” or “backdoor access”. So, thank you for your honesty and setting the record straight.

Well, there are also talks that I am capable of changing messages as you're typing them and display smileys that were implemented by the current staff. This is of course preposterous. They have fired 2 admins because they could not do the job and every little thing that happens there is "of course" my fault because "I am so nasty and I do all that I can do to take them down". The email list was compiled by me and consisted in less than a thousand emails. Data mining is not illegal that I know of, especially when the data is (was, should I say) readily available. The bulk email may be a little on the edge, but is very limited and a one shot only.

There are NO backdoor accesses, and YES, there is a little inside job. Unlike what is said, not everybody is an enemy of mine over-there.

Also, maybe I did not speak a perfect English, but by no means was this email about the other site splitting in 2, but the creation of 2 different forums to avoid situations that happens to sites that mixes it all. The email account was created by me and has always belonged to me. I did not steal anything from them.

This will be the last thing that I will have to say about all this as it is no wish of mine to create any conflict. You can, of course contact, me thru PM.

TEOTWAWKI13
09-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Idaho J, thanks for the "other bar" reference...best analogy I could think of...First of all, I have NO affiliation with anyone other than as a member and what I consider to be a "friendly" relationship. I've been on this site since just about it's inception, as the other site was a bit defunct for awhile.

I visit both (now all 3) sites almost daily, as it's good to get info from different spots and stay connected with people.

I can assure you from an outsider looking in, these guys don't have any use for personal information, I've never been hacked or virused or hornswaggled, you know what I mean. They're good folks. There's some bad blood from the other side I guess. I don't know. But you don't have anything to worry about is what I'm saying.

Sorry if I'm out of line guys.... Teot

Stormfeather
09-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Maybe im missing something, but what is "the other site"?

The Stig
09-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Bill,

The "other website" being referenced is whenshtf.com (http://www.whenshtf.com) Check them out sometime when you get a chance.

It is a website that most of us belonged to and some of us were on staff.

The reader's digest version is new ownership came to town with a different approach. Some of us left to go in a different direction and thus shtfready.com was born.

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM if you have other questions on the subject.

Twitchy
09-21-2011, 08:58 PM
yep, most of the old staff is here...

TEOTWAWKI13
09-21-2011, 09:26 PM
yep, most of the old staff is here...

and most of the good members the other site had are here too *cough cough* lmao

RedJohn
09-21-2011, 09:40 PM

And you're very right about that. The core (the ones with the FIRST 100 tag) are the best group ever. Now we're adding to this group. I like what I see in the new members. There are been some very good input since yesterday.

Welcome all again, we appreciate your presence.

izzyscout21
09-21-2011, 09:53 PM

I'll second that motion.

realist
09-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Well Redjohn it was devious and underhanded and that is why I am here............just kidding. For those of us that do not know the politics of all the forums I for one am here to learn from all ya all. So if it okay I will stay a while. Thanks for the summary.

izzyscout21
09-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Welcome to the fold. Bring a tent, lawnchair, 24 pack, get comfy and stay awile. It's a great place to be.

realist
09-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Love to but I'm old and have gout so I have to drink only whiskey if that is OK? The most important thing is that we have fun no matter what we do or it is not worth it...........

izzyscout21
09-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Love to but I'm old and have gout so I have to drink only whiskey if that is OK? The most important thing is that we have fun no matter what we do or it is not worth it...........

Ok by me. I'm glad you're here.

Glad to see all the new folks today.

Stormfeather
09-22-2011, 03:53 AM
Bill,

The "other website" being referenced is whenshtf.com (http://www.whenshtf.com) Check them out sometime when you get a chance.

It is a website that most of us belonged to and some of us were on staff.

The reader's digest version is new ownership came to town with a different approach. Some of us left to go in a different direction and thus shtfready.com was born.

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM if you have other questions on the subject.

Ahh, gotcha, now im tracking! I was a lurker there, but really didnt get into the site itself too much, used it as a reference mostly. Well, im think im here to stay either way, thanks for the heads up!

Stormfeather
09-22-2011, 03:55 AM
Welcome to the fold. Bring a tent, lawnchair, 24 pack, get comfy and stay awile. It's a great place to be.

GP Medium. . .check
Stump. . . check
24 Pack. . . Check (make that a 22 pack now. . )
Comfy. . . check

Looks like im here for the long run!

ladyhk13
09-22-2011, 04:54 AM
Ok, I guess this sort of clears things up. I only recognize 2 names here though...but I see how ya'll are...ya start up a new site and hand pick the "golden" ones and leave the rest of us "red headed runaway step children" in the dark (LOL). But I do have to tell you that I love the Ladies Forum on the other site. We have a wonderful group of gals and we share anything and everything and learn so much from each other. I haven't gone through all of your threads/forums yet so if you have one already then I hope to find it...if you don't have one maybe you would consider adding one? We love that only ladies have access to it.

realist
09-22-2011, 05:27 AM
Ladyhk13 that other site was closed for us guys, probably rightly so. However I would really like to have a female's perspective on a bunch of the stuff that is posted. I have my son and daughter hooked and I am still working on my better half. It would be so much better to have her on board. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated..

izzyscout21
09-22-2011, 03:51 PM
GP Medium. . .check
Stump. . . check
24 Pack. . . Check (make that a 22 pack now. . )
Comfy. . . check

Looks like im here for the long run!

Stormy, I think you and I are gonna get along really well.:cool:

RedJohn
09-22-2011, 11:50 PM
This thing normally being solved tonight in the background, I am closing this thread.