PDA

View Full Version : The Extractor!

Sniper-T
09-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Something I posted on another forum a couple weeks ago...

originally written, by me!

Being alergic to Wasps/yellow jackets and hornets, I'm always on the watch for nests, and the little beasties themselves. My kit is 'expired' but should still be good... I keep some antihistamines handy...and so far I've been lucky.

Until today.

while working in the yard, I was banging away on some railroad ties, and all of a sudden I am swarmed with hornets. quick decision... pond or house... I bolt for the house, shooing and swatting the whole way. Luckily I got inside without letting any in with me, unluckily... I got stung twice on the way in.

Both hits were on my left leg, one on the knee and one mid calf, and, 20 seconds later, both are swollen like golf balls.

Remembering something I picked up on my last trip to the states... I ran to my storage area and grab this little gadget:
Sawyer Extractor Pump Kit at REI.com (http://www.rei.com/product/407144/sawye) ... r-pump-kit

It was still in the packaging, so I ripped it apart, fumbled with it for a few seconds, and applied it to the more painful of the two. within seconds there is a goodly amound of clear liquid, and some very pink runny liquid in the collector cap. I wiped that on my shirt quick, and apply to the other sting.

same result. back to the first, and as I'm holding it there, I start reading the instructions. The follow them (alternating between bites for 15 minutes) I got liquid out for about the first 4-5 applications on each, and then nothing. but I followed the instructions anyways.

After the 15 minutes... the swelling was down to almost nothing, my breathing was easier, and my tongue didn't feel quite so thick. sat quietly for another 15 minutes and felt back to normal. Well, normal for me - lol.

I'll be taking it easy for the remainder of the evening, keep the bp down, and watch for the telltale signs of anaphyllactic shock.

Incidentally, I had both my truck keys and my phone at the ready in case this thing didn't work.

But, I have to say... it worked like a charm, I can honestly say the reaction would have been much more severe without it!

It isn't something that I would carry on my person... but I think I will pick up a few more of them (truck kit, boat kit, camping kit, etc etc etc.)

izzyscout21
09-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Being allergic to bees, this may be something I need to pick up to accompany my Epi-pens.

realist
09-21-2011, 11:10 PM
You need to seriously talk to a doctor. With you tongue getting thick may mean that you may have an allergy. You probably should have an Epi-pen on hand. If nothing else take some Benedryl. It will help you get to the hospital. Thanks for the info on the extractor, I too will be adding one.

izzyscout21
09-22-2011, 03:06 AM
Realist hit the nail on the head. If you are even remotely allergic, you need to get with a DR and get some epi-pens. I found out I was allergic wwhen I got stung on the tongue during basic (long story for another time). WAS NOT a pretty picture.

Sniper-T
09-22-2011, 11:19 AM
LOL... as the first line of my post states: "Being alergic to Wasps/yellow jackets and hornets..."

so, yeah, I know I am allergic, and I know I should have an epipen, but just cant get over the cash grab that they have become.

I still have an "ANA-KIT" which is 'expired' but would still work. These kits used to be available before epi-pens came out, and carried enough medicine for 7 doses, or treatments. and they cost under $20.00. Now a standard epipen is a single use item, and costs over $100.00

WTF???

Gunfixr
09-27-2011, 10:49 PM
I used to be allergic to pretty much all insect bites or stings, but at 19 that went away.
Now I'm allergic to all seafood, go figure. Yeah, I live right on the coast. Now cannot eat what I grew up eating.
It also rules out fishing as a survival method.
Anyway, I have one of the "Extractor" kits. I got it more for snakes. It is quite nice to have around.