PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Central

The Stig
09-21-2011, 08:00 PM
As a new resident to a hurricane prone area I've put a lot of time and energy into preparing for the eventuality of dealing with this weather driven SHTF event.

Whether it be increasing the supply of water on hand to investing in hurricane shutters to finding tracking software on line planning for dealing with a hurricane has dominated my prepping since March.

There are many of you who have weathered hurricanes (and in some cases a bunch of them). I thought it would be a good idea to have a hurricane oriented discussion thread. This isn't for tracking individual hurricanes but rather discussing of specific preps, what to expect, common damage that takes place, dealing with the aftermath, etc.

So with that.......if you've dealt with a hurricane please share with us your wisdom so that carpetbaggers can prepare.

Stormfeather
09-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Lots and lots of Blue Tarps
5 gallon buckets of water stored with the covers on underneath the house with a few drops of bleach in them.
Canned foods with a can opener
batteries of various sizes for all of your devices
A closed shelter in the immediate vicinity made of concrete is extremely advisable
beer/alcohol (not necessary, but Ive been thru quite a few "Hurricane Parties") Nothing to really do but hunker down and wait it out, alot of folks take this time to throw a party, since it seems to get everyones mind off of the current situation.

piranha2
09-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Been through several. Depending on the damage, water, food, generator if you want power, gas for genny, some type of bbq grill or a means to cook food, more water to flush toilets or other means, plastic to cover broken windows, maybe a blue tarp or two if your roof sustains damage, chain saw to cut your way out to the road, battery operated radio, and the list goes on.

piranha2
09-21-2011, 09:56 PM
We all have most of these items, but this is what the NHC lists.

Water - at least 1 gallon daily per person for 3 to 7 days (NOT ENOUGH)

Food - at least enough for 3 to 7 days
— non-perishable packaged or canned food / juices
— foods for infants or the elderly
— snack foods
— non-electric can opener
— cooking tools / fuel
— paper plates / plastic utensils

Blankets / Pillows, etc.

Clothing - seasonal / rain gear/ sturdy shoes

First Aid Kit / Medicines / Prescription Drugs

Special Items - for babies and the elderly

Toiletries / Hygiene items / Moisture wipes

Flashlight / Batteries

Radio - Battery operated and NOAA weather radio

Telephones - Fully charged cell phone with extra battery and a traditional (not cordless) telephone set[I] (WONT WORK ANYWAY)[I]

Cash (with some small bills) and Credit Cards - Banks and ATMs may not be available for extended periods

Keys

Toys, Books and Games

Important documents - in a waterproof container or watertight resealable plastic bag
— insurance, medical records, bank account numbers, Social Security card, etc.

Tools - keep a set with you during the storm

izzyscout21
09-21-2011, 10:45 PM
As a new resident to a hurricane prone area I've put a lot of time and energy into preparing for the eventuality of dealing with this weather driven SHTF event.

Whether it be increasing the supply of water on hand to investing in hurricane shutters to finding tracking software on line planning for dealing with a hurricane has dominated my prepping since March.

There are many of you who have weathered hurricanes (and in some cases a bunch of them). I thought it would be a good idea to have a hurricane oriented discussion thread. This isn't for tracking individual hurricanes but rather discussing of specific preps, what to expect, common damage that takes place, dealing with the aftermath, etc.

So with that.......if you've dealt with a hurricane please share with us your wisdom so that carpetbaggers can prepare.

Stig, just let me know if you ever need somewhere to bug out to in the event of. I think I've got some room, if you can put up with us and the twins.

NCWildman
09-22-2011, 01:04 AM
Just spent almost 6 days with no power or water thanks to Irene! Have been through enough hurricanes that I feel I can share this advice. First question is are you staying or leaving? I always stay (unless it is a cat 3 or higher) because getting back home is a nightmare (trees down & flooding). If you stay here is the most important items to make sure you have....

Hand crank radio with a light. (bat. will die and this will be your connection to everything)

A couple of full propane tanks and a gas grill or a gas burner.

Propane bottle lanterns with the connection to hook them to your propane tanks. Plus extra mantles and matches! Nothing better then being able to light your house up to keep unwanted people away! I even hang one on my front porch.

Before the storm hits scrub your bathtub with bleach water and rinse it. Then fill it up with water. Even if you are on city/county water and still have water after the storm there will be a boil warning! Get your water supply before the storm!

Food wise...just stock up on canned foods that you can heat up on the grill. Or a gas burner. Cook a big pot of chili ahead of time and freeze it in gallon bags. Trust me on this.

Before the storm hits go to the bank and get as much cash as you can. In small bills! Cash is king and what stores are open cant break large bills and with no power cant take cards!

Also make sure you fill all your vehicles and gas cans up with gas! Not that you will be driving around but when the power goes out the a/c in your vehicle will be your best friend! Just ask my dog. lol

Last thing I can add is if you have a laptop make sure it it charged up! You can charge your cell phone from it.

Hope this info helps!