PDA

View Full Version : Reliable tape for vehicle kit at -20C?

Marthony
02-23-2019, 02:50 AM
Hello forward planners!

While I haven't posted in some time, I'm very much alive! I've little new preparedness thoughts/practices other than ensuring I get an annual check-up to get advance warning of what others have gone through.

My question today is: what tape have you found that can be left to freeze, and still be functional? I recently tried to use black Gorilla tape at about -20C, and it failed; part of the adhesive separated from the tape to remain on the roll below.

I awknowledge that there are additional challenges with frost, but one challenge at a time. =)

I have tie-down straps etc., but I do like to have several options for all situations.

Thanks!

helomech
02-23-2019, 12:14 PM
Man that is cold. Sorry can't help you. Doesn't get near that cold hear, thankfully.

Illini Warrior
02-23-2019, 12:38 PM
nothing I know of - it's one reason why adhesive tape isn't used to package for the long term ....

gm2
02-23-2019, 11:26 PM
We had negative 40 up here earlier this month and nothing adhesive works in that cold of weather. I use bungees and lengths of wire to fasten things.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

Marthony
02-23-2019, 11:42 PM
Good to know! I'll leave tape out of the winter stock then, and ensure the bungees & ratchet straps are in.

Thanks!

ak474u
02-24-2019, 05:11 AM
I don't think it will weather that temp very well if exposed to the elements, but MAYBE 100mph racing tape? It's made to withstand water and wind, but who knows.

Sniper-T
02-24-2019, 07:51 AM
Both duct tape and gorilla are usable in -20 and below... if prepped for properly. I have rolls of both in my truck that are there for the winter, and used as needed... But it takes time to warm them first. When needed, grab the frozen roll and tuck it into your jacket for an hour, while you sit on whatever you need to tape. Not even warm tape will stick well to frozen anything, but if put on warm, it will stick, once frozen. Black electrical tape too, if needed... but masking tape not so much...

orangetom1999
02-25-2019, 01:56 PM
yeah...that is the problem I too have with duct tape and that black gorilla tape in cold weather.

I like to keep plenty of it on hand particularly as we go into hurricane season along with rope and that 1/8th diameter nylon chord....

Problem with duct tape and or gorilla tape is that it is a chemical on the adhesive and chemicals tend to be temperature sensitive.

But Sniper T's suggestion of pre heating it is a good one. That is about the only way to get it to stick. Makes sense to me.

Thanks Sniper T for the suggestion.

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite

Marthony
02-26-2019, 10:21 PM
Warm tape should adhere to itself at least, if wrapped around enough. =)

Thanks for this!