PDA

View Full Version : The less people know the better!

ncmtnman
09-22-2011, 04:59 AM
I have been stocking supplys for a while and though many hours about "what if"! What if everyone around here knew what i have? I would have a big X on my head when people need what i have! Im single and have told 2 if things go bad to come to me! I have enough for them and my family! My family has no idea what i have! I just joined this group and hated to because the Goverment has people telling whos buyin what and they dont want us to be able to care for ourselfs! They want us to depend on them! Thats there way to control us! Everyone who knows me know i dont have money and i dont! But,Over the year ive put back supplys i will need! I have 2 5 gallon buckets with new nails and so many boxxes of screws that ive bought so cheap at yard sales and flea markets! Most wouldnt think of nails but i can trade half mine for other supplys! When you see things like this cheap its a good idea to put back anything that you wont be able to get! People really need to put on their thinkin caps to have whats needed when the time comes! Whats important to you and yours when the time comes?
No one will have enought money to get whats needed when the time comes! Mines not or will not be for sale,Trades yes but money will be worth not a $@#& thing!

Rock
09-22-2011, 05:27 AM
I think you are going in the right direction, but consider this; a gallon bucket of nails is effing heavy and you don't want folks you don't know coming to you and your stronghold! Some other non-perishable items like fishhooks, sinkers, fishing line, needles and heavy thread, razorblades, aspirin, vitamins, might be better barter items. They are smaller, lighter, and impossible for most folks to make on their own. If there is a big die off, folks can get all the nails they want from abandoned houses, if they don't just squat there and take over!

Stormfeather
09-22-2011, 05:31 AM
I somewhat agree with keeping it somewhat low profile. I have a few people that Ive deployed with overseas that live close to me that are preppers as well, and we all are pretty good friends with a plan in place. But other than that, I have to say, I dont really advertise outside of my circle of friends what/how Ive prepped.

Another good prep item to consider, those 1 ounce alcohol mini fridge bottles. They are easy to store, transport, and people will always want/need alcohol!

ncmtnman
09-22-2011, 05:59 AM
Good ideas! This is what i want,Other ideas! But,the nails i have less than$5 and screws maybe$8-10.I have goats, chickens, dogs, cats and takes alot to keep up my house and sisters also.we have 3 storage buildings and a barn. It would take so long to recycle nails and anyone seeing you do that might not like it! Fishing times slowing down due to cold weather here now.Think ill check for sales at local roses and kmart! I bought so much archery stuff last year at K-mart at about 15-20% of cost.That way i get more bang for my buck!

Alchol is also great idea! But,My pancreas is dieing and ive never drank!My grandpaw made the best shine around and have all his stuff and know how to make it! Not worth the risk now but will make it for trade and fuel when the time comes!:D

Stormfeather
09-22-2011, 06:18 AM
I would love to pick your brain about that sometime! Would love to get firsthand knowledge about the process's involved to get a good end product.

bacpacker
09-23-2011, 01:38 AM
Really good ideas guys. I've been gathering screws, nails, hardware, many kinds of hand tools, lumber ( check craigslist), plywood, medical supplies, fishing gear, hiking gear, etc. you just never know what you might need or what you can trade for something you need.

LUNCHBOX
09-23-2011, 02:00 AM
BP, I'm on the same page as you. I think people will need living items....Meds, fishing gear, outdoor items in general--nails and screws included. The everyday stuff will be less needed, rugs, air freshness, etc.

AquaHull
09-23-2011, 05:20 PM
I don't worry much about much ,I just buy stuff when it's cheap and add to the stock ,pretty much all that has been posted in this thread

dragon5126
09-24-2011, 03:06 AM
Making alcohol isnt that hard, and with the current "renewable biofuel" ideology, you can find out how to make it almost anywhere. The trickey part is the temps requires to distill it without watering it down but that too is fairly eays to acomplish.

Stormfeather
09-24-2011, 04:43 AM
Ive read up on it quite a bit, but im hoping to find someone with some practical application experience to it, this way I can call them up when things start bubbling over and ask them. . . "is this supposed to be like this???" :D

izzyscout21
09-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Ive read up on it quite a bit, but im hoping to find someone with some practical application experience to it, this way I can call them up when things start bubbling over and ask them. . . "is this supposed to be like this???" :D

yeah, bubbling over isn't good. Especially when it's near a heat source. I remember one time I tried to make Hamburger Helper with beer, since I was out of milk. Not pretty. Fire dept got involved.....big bruhaha.

dragon5126
09-26-2011, 03:22 AM
I always make chilli with beer, no beer and it aint worth making...

Grumpy Old Man
09-26-2011, 08:13 PM
yeah, bubbling over isn't good. Especially when it's near a heat source. I remember one time I tried to make Hamburger Helper with beer, since I was out of milk. Not pretty. Fire dept got involved.....big bruhaha.

Why am I not surprised Izzy? ROFLMAO.

Seriously, Mead is probably the easiest alcohol to make and it only gets stronger with age. And if you want to distill, but don't quite know how to set a still up, the Foxfire Books detail the how-to. Or alternatively, you can freeze your homemade whatever and decant the the remaining liquid (liquor). You can take hard cider to about 60-65 proof applejack that way.

izzyscout21
09-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Triggertime will tell you, I'm a walking accident waiting to happen.

dragon5126
09-27-2011, 05:57 AM
Triggertime will tell you, I'm a walking accident waiting to happen.
We all are Izz, after all, anything thats fun comes with risk... even reading a book, hell thats the most dangerous of all, just think about all the bad ideas that has generated!

Grumpy Old Man
09-27-2011, 04:52 PM
You know it's all funny 'til one of your friends gets hurt; then it's hilarious! J/K Izzy! But I still can't get the Hamburger Helper image out of my mind.