PDA

View Full Version : Novel Coronavirus 2020 megathread

Twitchy
02-07-2020, 06:29 PM
I'm honestly surprised this hasn't been posted yet, or atleast that I have seen. What are everyones thoughts with the new Coronavirus that is currently making the rounds? It has so far surpassed both MERS and SARS in total confirmed cases in an incredibly short time span. What are you doing to prepare for it, if anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gm2
02-10-2020, 12:17 AM
Currently I'm just being extra careful in public. Keeping a filtered mask in my drawer at work. Wearing it when a client is coughing. Washing my hands religiously, avoiding shaking hands by keeping mine full.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

helomech
02-10-2020, 11:38 AM
Not doing anything about it. I don't think it is any more deadly than most other bugs. It is just spreading faster.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
02-18-2020, 03:19 AM
I think I'm just going to go to Nashville this week and breathe on everybody. Just to piss'em off. BECAUSE IT WILL MAKE ME HAPPY, THAT'S WHY!

RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY! There, I feel much better now........it's the zombie virus man, don'tchu realize it? We'rall doomed.

Maybe this will stop that new soccer stadium they want to build that we need like another hole in the head. Boo ha ha ha!

eagle326
02-19-2020, 04:50 PM
I think I'm just going to go to Nashville this week and breathe on everybody. Just to piss'em off. BECAUSE IT WILL MAKE ME HAPPY, THAT'S WHY!

RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY! There, I feel much better now........it's the zombie virus man, don'tchu realize it? We'rall doomed.

Maybe this will stop that new soccer stadium they want to build that we need like another hole in the head. Boo ha ha ha!

Me like. Maybe I'll drive the 10 miles to the Pro football hall of fame and do the same thing ; maybe throw some coughing in for extra effect.Oh and add the 1,000 mile stare .

Brownwater Riverrat 13
02-21-2020, 01:17 PM
Yeah, now I get to go to my VA appt. today.......guess I should wear a mask. Hadji's going to be there.

eagle326
02-21-2020, 01:52 PM
Yeah, now I get to go to my VA appt. today.......guess I should wear a mask. Hadji's going to be there.

Wear the one with the Punisher skull on it. Seems to thin out the line faster. Just sayin' brother.

Run Low Drive On

Katrina
02-24-2020, 05:03 AM
Y'all might get a laugh, I went to the grocery store this morning and took a swig of my coffee. It went down the wrong pipe and I started coughing, lady behind me in the aisle started to freak out. Her friend popped her on the arm and told her to calm down that I had just had the coffee go down the wrong pipe and asked me if I was okay. told her yes, I swallowed a bug, got a laugh from them. The lady did apologize for over reacting but sheez, People are getting antsy around here as no one knows what to believe right now. Read a post on Modern Survival from someone who has a brother over in So K, Owner of the site knows the poster and allowed it to be posted as he trusted the poster. Brother is a minister and has been in contact with some of his fellow Chinese ministers. Minister says it's 100 times worse than the Government is letting on from what his fellow ministers have said.

bacpacker
02-25-2020, 01:02 AM
I haven't been very active in some time. I came down with something in Early Dec and still haven't gotten over it. It has kicked my butt. Started as a sinus infection and cough, developed wheezing pretty bad and now after 5 Dr visits, 2 rounds of anitbiotics, 2 rounds of Steroids, and now 3 weeks on a nebulizer I go to see a Pulmanary Dr tomorrow, hopefully they can sort it out and get me on the road to getting over this crap. Last few weeks I've been getting some strange looks when I go out. Folks at work have been asking if I have Coronavirus. Nope I tell them, just tryin to hock up a lung.

I have been trying to track this and expect things are probably 10 times what is being told. Economic conditions are gonna take a hit, even if this ends soon. And I don't expect that to happen.

Katrina
02-25-2020, 01:16 AM
bp praying you get better quickly. I'm sure we're going to see a lot of people going a nutty over this. Stock market went down 1000 points today and the things DH was seeing on the areas he reads said it sounded a bit panicky but one pundit said it's a good time to buy as prices are coming down. We'll be sitting tight and hope this thing gets over as soon as possible but we aren't holding our breaths.

Illini Warrior
02-25-2020, 04:07 PM
https://youtu.be/yhgRBbw-lNU

bacpacker
02-26-2020, 12:33 AM
bp praying you get better quickly. I'm sure we're going to see a lot of people going a nutty over this. Stock market went down 1000 points today and the things DH was seeing on the areas he reads said it sounded a bit panicky but one pundit said it's a good time to buy as prices are coming down. We'll be sitting tight and hope this thing gets over as soon as possible but we aren't holding our breaths.

Thanks Kat. I can always use the prayers. Dr put me back on steroids and a inhaler with steroids in it. Says my lung tissue is inflamed. Lung capacity is about half what it should be. Gotta go back and see him in 2 weeks to see how I'm doing.

Marthony
02-26-2020, 08:17 PM
As of today one of our companies suppliers (Canada) has advised they are and will remain sold out of N95 masks & hand sanitizer; it is being bought up in bulk for federal preparedness. Only ones to be expected in short term are those in place with retailers, until they sell out very soon I expect.

My wife & I already have ours with our BOB's as forest fire is up there on the hazard list and smoke a consideration, so not concerned, but an indicator of market effect.

I'm doing nothing more than standard; I never touch bathroom handles with my skin! Might have to adapt this to all public door knobs to be safe, but that's about the practical limit for me.

Will be disturbingly curious to see how this affects life this year, in a public health as well as market logistics and general business/stock market sense..!

Fidel MD
02-26-2020, 10:10 PM
https://legalinsurrection.com/2020/02/wuhan-virus-watch-rod-rosensteins-sister-gins-up-fear-with-her-cdc-statement/

Twitchy
03-02-2020, 02:32 AM
Well this just hit a lot closer to home. 2-3 new cases of unknown origin in Florida as of an hour or so ago according to the governor and a local hospital. All separate cases in different counties. It seems highly likely that this has been spreading undetected in the United States for some time now.

bacpacker
03-02-2020, 10:39 PM
Twitchy, are any of those cases near Jacksonville?

SolomonCol
03-05-2020, 11:34 AM
I don't think it was near Jacksonville but I could be wrong. So many unreliable sources out there you can never be sure.

bacpacker
03-05-2020, 11:49 PM
Thanks SolomanCol.

BTW welcome to the forum.

BWRR, Domey, & Keepist, I don't think any of you were in the path of the tornado Tuesday night. I sure hope not. Also, I heard today the first confirmed case of Covid-19 was mentioned today. Hopefully it was no where near you guys.

Socalman
03-07-2020, 10:53 PM
Well, for us the corona, covid-19 virus has hit very close to home. A local middle school has had a student test positive for the virus. Our next door neighbors have a son who attends that school. We may not socialize very closely the next month!

Yesterday the wife and I made our typical early in the month Costco run. It was so odd to see so many people buy the 2 case maximum of waters. We are good we have water for about a month. The odd thing is, the tap water will be just fine if we are all quarantined.

We are not changing much in terms of our habits. Life goes on. It is believed that the fatality rate of this virus is just a bit higher than the typical flu. However since we both fall into that "elderly" category we are being a bit cautious, not going to extra crowds like games, concerts, etc.

Twitchy
03-08-2020, 12:36 PM
Well, for us the corona, covid-19 virus has hit very close to home. A local middle school has had a student test positive for the virus. Our next door neighbors have a son who attends that school. We may not socialize very closely the next month!

Yesterday the wife and I made our typical early in the month Costco run. It was so odd to see so many people buy the 2 case maximum of waters. We are good we have water for about a month. The odd thing is, the tap water will be just fine if we are all quarantined.

We are not changing much in terms of our habits. Life goes on. It is believed that the fatality rate of this virus is just a bit higher than the typical flu. However since we both fall into that "elderly" category we are being a bit cautious, not going to extra crowds like games, concerts, etc.

The case fatality rate increases substantially if you are over the age of 60. Up to 15-20% for those over 80.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-09-2020, 02:15 PM
Call me an optimist? BUT, I think this "flu" is no different than any other, just a different strain. Lookin at the numbers it just doesn't stack up. You might as well say there is a hurricane coming and everyone needs to evacuate the coast. "Oh......look it's petering out and now heading up the coast." Sorry you ran out and bought all that shit for no reason. Good Drill!

But hey, they convinced Trump into signing off on a few billion though didn't they? Hey only wanted 2.5 million. Now I wonder where alllll that money is really going to go.

orangetom1999
03-09-2020, 04:00 PM
By Brownwater River rat 13,

But hey, they convinced Trump into signing off on a few billion though didn't they? Hey only wanted 2.5 million. Now I wonder where alllll that money is really going to go.

Asking myself the same question.....to where will all that money disappear amongst the Ishmaelites????

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-11-2020, 03:21 PM
As I listen to the radio this morning.........we're in a full blown panic attack! Hell just last week we had a tornado "outbreak" here in Tennessee! I hope that doesn't spread throughout the country. They closing buildings down an Hillary's out wiping everything down with bleach! It's fuckin ridiculous with the media spreading panic politicians going home cause they can't work for fear of getting sick. Just think the democrat candidates running for pres will likely die from the virus cause they are in the "too old" category.

Just stupid............there's not much to say about this. Oh, Rahm Emanuel, “You never want a serious crisis to go to waste.”

bacpacker
03-12-2020, 12:21 AM
Barney has Coronary issues. Already had 1 heart attack at the start of the campain. Biden is in early-mid stages of dementia. Just watch and see who his VP is. I'd lay money it'll be a female. Top of the list for me right now. Muchelle Obummer, Hitlery, and the black chick that was running for prez but dropped out. Shes a former prosecutor from Cali and now a congress critter or senator. Can't think of her name. But all three of them together, any of them, would be horrible news for the US. I seriously doubt Biden would make it thru his term in office without being removed.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-12-2020, 03:07 PM
Concur BP.

Sniper-T
03-15-2020, 09:21 PM
Hey all,

Sorry for my tardiness of late... had some computer issues, and general life business.

All is well with me and mine, stores here are like everywhere mentioned, shelves emptied of the basics by the sheeple. I need nothing that they're binge buying, but am topping off a few things that they haven't thought of yet, but will clean off the shelves in a couple weeks if this continues to progress.

My company has banned all travel, including domestic; which I'm not too choked about, as I was scheduled for a couple business trips in the next couple weeks.

Here's a site I've been watching...

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Katrina
03-16-2020, 01:20 AM
Went to the store for our scripts this morning, first time in 30+years I've seen the shelves at Meijers completely empty.Paper products, bleach and wipes, sanitizers Even bar soap is almost gone. They're even limiting the number of pkgs of diapers per person.Went to get some 15 oz cans of vegetable broth for cooking and it was ALL gone, even the expensive, organic ones were gone. DH has to do regular shots (self administered), he's running out of alcohol swabs and they don't have an eta on when they're getting more. The butcher counter, bulk areas and the deli's are shut down till further notice at the stores.It's been crazy around here.Now the Governor has made it so the restaurants can only have 1/2 the limit in their restaurants at any one time. Schools are all closed, the production we have tickets for has been shut down as is all of Broadway. Bro & SIL in NV are ok except my bro is upset , there is no more shampoo anywhere. Seriously that's what he said "ALL the shampoo is gone" not just the brand he buys ALL of it is gone. Told him I'd send him a couple of bottles if he got desperate. LOL. Talked to baby bro in WA today, he says he has a cold and I am praying that is all he has. Told him to get his arse to the doctor Monday and get tested as he sounded terrible. Sisters in VA are okay. Middle sis cleans the office she works in for extra pay. There were 2 giant bags of TP in the stock room when she left Friday, she went in today to clean and it was gone as are the sanitizers. Guess someone(with keys) in the company went shopping at the office. She works for AC/heating company as supply mgr and she now has to em everyone, thanking the thief as they'll all have to bring tp from home or as she said "air dry". She's really pissed as she thinks she knows who took it, probably the self important BFF of the owners wife who works there AND they can't get dust masks for the guys installing the ac/heating because of all the idiots out there. Haven't heard from nephew in TX, a NICU nurse, but the last FB post he and husband are ok so far and are staying healthy.Other nieces and nephews, knock wood, are okay as well. DH and I are still planning on driving down to GA for the baby's birthday unless we're shut down, as in nobody in, nobody out in the state. Stay safe and as my grandpa would say Warsh yer hands!!

Metrocruiser
03-16-2020, 02:33 AM
Hi backpacker,
The same thing happened to me during the Christmas school holidays. I was sick as a dog and I feel that I went through a couple of bugs during mid Dec to mid January. I was hurting really bad and then my wife caught it off me. My kids were a little under the weather before xmas break. I thought maybe they shed the germs to me and since I am older and weaker immune system it got me.

I have not read the rest of the thread, I hope you have recovered from it all.

I haven't been very active in some time. I came down with something in Early Dec and still haven't gotten over it. It has kicked my butt. Started as a sinus infection and cough, developed wheezing pretty bad and now after 5 Dr visits, 2 rounds of anitbiotics, 2 rounds of Steroids, and now 3 weeks on a nebulizer I go to see a Pulmanary Dr tomorrow, hopefully they can sort it out and get me on the road to getting over this crap. Last few weeks I've been getting some strange looks when I go out. Folks at work have been asking if I have Coronavirus. Nope I tell them, just tryin to hock up a lung.

I have been trying to track this and expect things are probably 10 times what is being told. Economic conditions are gonna take a hit, even if this ends soon. And I don't expect that to happen.

Domeguy
03-16-2020, 07:38 AM
I’ve been telling family and friends, (those who would listen) once the trucks stop delivering to Walmart and the shelves go empty, that’s when the chances of society going all to hell. We have already seen it with all of the hoarding, fights while waiting in line, those kids of things. I don’t know if this virus is seriously a severe strain or not, but it does at least give us a real life chance to find out if what we are doing as preppers is working or not. This might bring in new blood to the site.

Katrina
03-16-2020, 07:38 PM
Hope all is well down your way Dome, BRR and all.
DIL2 and kids are out of school for 6 weeks she said this morning. The school she works at is going to do a food pick up for the not so well off 2 days a week. Other than that she is self quarantining as Son2 still has to go to work. Asked if they were okay for supplies, she told me they are okay for the next 2 weeks,TP,etc. Told her to get themselves and the animals over here if they have to IF the shelves don't get stocked by then. Son2 had to take grson2 to eye doctor so he called to see if there were any elderly there before he went in. As Son 2 works in the public ,he wanted to be sure to keep exposure to the minimum.
DH's BFF and walking buddy called and cancelled walking with him as he woke up this am with low grade fever and was heading to his scheduled Dr's appt. Praying he's not infected. I told DH if friend has it, we're DEFINITELY NOT going down south and we are not going ANYWHERE. He'll just have to walk around the house for his exercise LOL. My Dr is down sick as well (reception didn't say what, just Docs out for next few days ill) so all appts there have been canceled. DIL2 did go out to $ store Sunday and loaded up on craft stuff to keep the kids busy for the next 6 weeks. Governor just shut down all restaurants in store dining starting at 3pm today but will allow drive thru and delivery, so the restaurants don't lose too much money but I am wondering how soon that will change. Grub hub stated they will continue to deliver pre paid stuff and will call/text you and have the people leave the packages on your porch. When I went to the store yesterday, picked up a bottle of 91% alcohol just to be sure we had it in case DH DOES run out of his swabs and I think I got the last bottle. At least that's what I think from some of the comments I was hearing when people couldn't find any.
Was on another site and there was some discussion of a possible non essential inter state travel ban (ie going to b-day party , non essential, etc) in the works but nothing definite so we'll be watching this closely over the next week n half. Anyone hearing this kind of chatter?

bacpacker
03-17-2020, 12:32 AM
Metro, glad you and the family got over what you had. Things are getting crazy. I ended up going to a pulmanary Dr. He put me back on Steroids and a steroid inhaler. Finally some thing that worked. My cough and the wheezing has mostly gone now. I went back to Dr last week for a follow up and he retested me. First visit my lung function was 47%. 2nd visit I was up to 72%. Dr was surprised I made that much improvement that quick. Said it usually took 2 months to get that much. He kept me on the steroid inhaler until I go back in June for a follow up. He thinks I should be over it by then. I know breathing is much easier than it was for a good long while. But this crap has took it out of me. I have tried working around outside the past 2 saturdays just doing some light stuff. First week after about 2 hours, taking breaks ever 15-20 minutes I was toast. This saturday I was able to go 30 minutes or so at a time, and stayed at in about 4 hours. I'll take the improvement for sure.

Sounds like work is gonna shut down to a large degree, other than essintial personel at some point soon. Due to my recent lung issues and still being on meds, our division director has ok'd me to start working from home. I'm gonna go in tomorrow and gather up what I need and will be working from here for however long this runs. I'm glad they are letting me get started now. It wouldn't be good for the wife or I either one to catch the CV. It'd probably kill us both. Staying home will be good.

Sniper-T
03-18-2020, 12:40 AM
on going thread...

what are you lacking.. what are you scrambling for, what are your thoughts?

My veggie stocks are low... I'm pumping them hard, cans, dried, and frozen... before the sheeple get wind

gas
propane

seeds

given my keto diet, my rice/pasta stocks are low... maxing them

bumping up flour

have lotsa beans... adding more\

daily, the sheeple are realizing their shortcomings, and binge buying to compensate.

Shelves may be empty soon, ants, are you topped up
?

realist
03-18-2020, 05:16 PM
As of last few days the shelves were cleared out.

Good morning all from the Left Coast, its been a while since I’ve been on, been pretty busy. That is up until now. The courts have closed so I’m not working there, the Junior College closed so the Police Academy has been suspended so I’m not teaching. We are now under a public health order to shelter in place. What does that mean is for the general population, as one site says “Stay the F*** Home”! However, they are saying you can go out for exercise, groceries and medicine. There are a bunch of exempt business, including the local marijuana dispensary, that are allowed to stay open.

So, over the week there has been panic buying in the stores. It is really amazing to use all this as a learning exercise. On the west coast here we do not have the shelves cleaned out like some of you folks when there is a hurricane. People are real concerned about getting toilet paper but don’t have enough food in their pantry, I wonder what flavor is the toilet paper? One thing they are putting out is the trucks are making deliveries as much as possible to the stores. What was panic a couple days ago has calmed down, then again still shortages.

My take on this is I’m in the class that the virus hits hard, however I am in great health. As for preps I have been doing this since the 1970’s so I am pretty good and even my wife seems to understand now. So, with all this panic buying I figure in about another four or five days I will check the stores because they are stocking them and restock what I want, not need. So what am I doing, I am planting my garden hopefully this week but it is raining so I might get the starts going. The big thing is I’m social distancing which kind of sucks when you like to get with friends for dinner.

Long term on this is I truly hope this will be short term, but I wouldn’t prep if I thought that. I am looking at a minimum of 90 days for a lot of people however bills have to be paid and I don’t know what people are going to do. I’m a big cash guy, there are some places that do not take cash because it might be tainted, I didn’t think about that! Gold and Silver markets are going down if you notice however most of that is paper and not physical. If you try to buy it is pretty much “out of stock”.

Having studied pandemics for the past 20 years as a sideline of my work I see we are going to get hammered by this virus. No, it’s not the normal flu. The normal flu does not totally overwhelm hospital systems. The economy worldwide is trashed. Medical supplies are drying up at a time when we need it RTFN. We now understand Made In America, our pharmaceutical chain sucks and we rely on China for them. This has got to change along with a bunch of other things.

You might consider positioning yourself to be prepared to weather a depression not a recession. I am starting to look at the long term of years for the recovery not months. Time will tell.

Domeguy
03-18-2020, 06:37 PM
Coronavirus Pandemic, day 16.
If anyone is still out there, I’m alive but struggling. Food is running low. Down to only 459 days worth, not counting all the freeze dried in the cellar. My hands are super sanitized and my butt is super clean, as the still is putting out about 50 gallons a day. Down to 15,999 rounds of ammo (dropped 1 round down the heat vent while doing daily inventory). Power still on, but for how long? Missing human interaction but I have the 4 cats, and the dog...for now.. (I'm soaking her food in BBQ sauce in an attempt to marinate her from the inside in case I have to eat her). I fear dark days ahead. News is all bad. Neighbors have attempted to leap from windows to their death, (or near death... most have single story homes so they are badly bruised). Blew through most Netflix series so may have to rewatch some again..Basic Survival is a definite challenge. I vow to persevere to the end, I am a survivor! Please, if there is life out there, communicate with me to help preserve my sanity.

Thanks...Domeguy

bacpacker
03-18-2020, 09:35 PM
As of today I am working from home. I have no issue with that. 2 hours drive time now out the window, ditto on fuel and maintenance cost.
We've been picking up a little stuff here and there as we find it. Some stuff has been hit hard, other stuff is still available. We are still eating out of the fridge for now. Stocks are pretty well topped off on what we normally store. Fuel prices have dropped under $2 a gallon, so I'm doing my rotation with all my gas stores. I rotated the diesil out last Dec. Keeping vehicles full of 100% gas right now, just to not have that to think about. Picked up several garden plants this week and starting seed this weekend. Was able to pick up a can of 5.56 at the farm store the other night.
One thing a lot of folks haven't mentioned, we have picked up some cash at the bank in addition to what we normally hold. I expect banks to close at some point, and I've heard of ATM's at some places closing or running out of cash. We never use ATM's, but wanted to have cash on hand in case.

Socalman
03-18-2020, 11:41 PM
Monday I heard a report on the radio that gun shops are doing a great business again. This time many of the liberal Californians who voted for our insane gun laws are being inconvenienced! Shocked to hear that they have to wait 10 days to pick up their weapon after they have done the load of paperwork required by our central party in Sacramento. Here is a good one for you too, we have a background check for ammo! If you are picking up your new gun and ask for ammo right then and there you skip the background check. If you start to walk away at the end of the transaction and the clerk has closed the transaction on the computer you have to start the background check--after you fork over more $$! So some of those who just thought they voted for "common sense laws" have discovered, it has been BOHICA.

Metrocruiser
03-20-2020, 09:12 AM
I'm glad to hear you are improving in your health BP. It sounds so much worse that what I went through.

Most of the businesses in the Metro Vancouver area are closed and are soon to be closed. It will just be the essential services that will be operational. Time to move the boat out of the garden and start planting.

I'm planning to stay low at the fort. How far away do you think plundering and pillaging is? Should I buy some barbed wire and bar up my windows?

Sniper-T
03-21-2020, 01:21 AM
Coronavirus Pandemic, day 16.
I have the 4 cats, and the dog...for now.. (I'm soaking her food in BBQ sauce in an attempt to marinate her from the inside in case I have to eat her).

Thanks...Domeguy

Atta boy! I knew I could draw you to the right side... see sig line 2

what flavour bbq sauce?

Sniper-T
03-21-2020, 01:30 AM
Hey Metro, you move? I thought you used to be in the Peg?

- - - Updated - - -

Around here, at least in the cities, stores that are open are refusing cash. plastic only!!

I imagine that that will change at some point soon, so I am also pulling cash!
small bills

orangetom1999
03-21-2020, 02:34 PM
By Sniper T,

Around here, at least in the cities, stores that are open are refusing cash. plastic only!!

I imagine that that will change at some point soon, so I am also pulling cash!
small bills

I'm not so sure it is going to change ….but stay a cashless society.

The ultimate "Herding Scheme" is a cashless society....being able to totally know what people are doing....and where they are at any given time...what they are buying and how much. Are they a threat to the system??

Between cell phones, our modern cars and the coming "Cashless Society.." it will be total control. Our technology telling on us. The Ultimate Herding Scheme.

Such radical plans work best if instituted under the guise of an Emergency. Problem historically is that when or if the emergency is over...the government seldom gives the power back to the people when they ..or someone behind the government is making a killing off this rigged structure in place.

It will be absolute power...divine right of kings..feudalism….royalty..the very system our founders sought to prevent by limited government.....buckle up....this will not be limited government.

Went to Bass Pro yesterday while out getting some other prepps…..for a few reloading supplies..

Most of the bullets were gone in suitable calibers..particularly pistol..and AR calibers....so too the powders.

Managed to get the last can of Bullseye and two boxes of Hornady 180 grain spire points...interlock bullets...and put them away. I am mostly sat for reloading supplies but noted the run on such items. Don't think they will be restocking any time soon.

Will pass this status off to my friend via ham radio ….some 400 miles west of me in Tennessee.

We set up our Ham radios years ago....with an emergency secondary link in mind should many regular systems be shut down....land lines or cell phones.

We envisioned war or Islamic Terrorism..but not this virus....

Nonetheless we do have arrangements to reach each other and schedules...etc etc.

Thinking this may be important as well as resourceful later down the road.

Have set up two VHF/UHF radio stations up in Central Virginia..among preppers that they can keep in touch with each other.

This will not work out if the repeater should go down for any reason.

I contacted one of them early in this morning and they were able to hear me clearly about 110 miles away...but not transmit though I had them key up the repeater to note if they were working well and in range. I noted their signal...good and strong early in the morning. Contact at these ranges works best early in the morning or late night. the other station is about 125 miles out from here.
They are using mobile VHF radios and or Baofeng Walkie Talkies with an adapter and a base station antenna hooked up to the Baofeng Walkie talkies. The mobile radios run between 20 and 45 watts and the Baofeng walkie talkies 5 watts.
The 440 MHZ bands we are trying to stay away from them as the range is too short without heavy/complex directional antennas.
These are FM mode radios.

HF/High Frequency long range will be the way to go without a repeater but most do not have the training or the radios...and these radios are expensive. A little bit above the AM broadcasting band. 75 meters or 40 meters.. This is Single Side Band mode...SSB. Very good at longer ranges.

Or if it comes to it....radio pirating....free lancing...to keep in communication. Similar to what we used to do out of the CB bands.

The limit here will be our knowledge, training, and resourcefulness.
I am grateful for the old timers teaching me to fabricate my own antennas. I am not dependent on the system for antennas....in this case a base station antenna.

Been buying solid 3/8 diameter aluminum rods from true value hard ware stores for years along with aluminum angle bar for the purpose of putting back antenna materials.
Also put back several rolls of 12 gauge black stranded wire in 500 foot lengths..from Lowes...this too for making olde fashioned wire antennas.

My base station antenna here is one of those 500 foot rolls of 12 gauge wire.....hoisted up into my trees to form an olde fashioned loop antenna and on it I can tune in the ham bands...CB radio and even AM/FM Radio. I have built another antenna for the really high frequency stuff.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
Orangetom

Metrocruiser
03-21-2020, 05:51 PM
Hi Sniper-T,

Ive been trying to get out of the city for years, but I don't think it will happen. However the wife has brought it up a couple times in the last few days. If we change to homeschooling for our kids, it just might happen.

Are you in Northern Manitoba?

I just read something about the cash stigma.
https://business.financialpost.com/opinion/with-cash-both-a-carrier-of-covid-19-and-an-accessory-to-crime-should-we-eliminate-it-not-so-fast

bacpacker
03-22-2020, 12:46 AM
Thanks Metro. I am feeling much better than 3-4 weeks ago. Endurance is coming back some to. Just a ways to go now. I'll get there. Hope you are able to find a place out in the country.

OT, I like your planning for the radio comms at the ranges you want to operate. Repeaters are nice, but I don't hold out hope for them staying up during a major disaster. HF is the way to go for sure. Downside is cost and not near as many folks have the gear or license to operate there. Balancing act for sure.

orangetom1999
03-22-2020, 04:06 AM
Agree..and well said....backpacker..

Here and a note to the wise....decide carefully.....,

Got a call today from someone who knows I reload much of my own ammo in the calibers I have.

They were looking for .223/5.56mm ammo as the shelves are bare...

However...

I know that this person is a type of good time Charlie.....living the good life and spending monies and not putting much back.

Bewarned...of people who did not prep during good times.....

I have this nightmare ….which crops up occasionally ….of being stuck on that famous Desert Island with 400 people who only know how to text..

You decide for yourself and your group.

Orangetom
Not an Ishmaelite

Sniper-T
03-23-2020, 06:49 PM
Hi Sniper-T,

Are you in Northern Manitoba?

Nope... I'm out in the country near Richer (SE of Wpg)

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-26-2020, 08:26 PM
So I can't say I'm enjoying this, BUT! Watchin everyone do the "Pee-Pee" dance tryin to get shitpaper, BB's, beans, an powder does make me chuckle every now and then. Went a visited the kids and grand baby up at Ft. Campbell this weekend. Made it up there in record time, NO TRAFFIC! All is well up there and we'll be sending them pampers. We had Beef Welington, picked up the ingredients on the way with no issues. Even had the butcher center cut me a 3.3lb tenderloin, oh yeah. We are business as usual here. Workin on the house, Lowe's just delivered the new washer and dryer, yeah. We saw all the cleaned out shelves, basically stuff we have had because that's the way we live. Practice what ya preach. Oh......beer, gotta work on the beer thing. Oh, and Reece's Easter Eggs. Keep up the great work people, because if this shit keeps up for a couple more weeks. The "Weaks" are going to get restless and we're going to have some issues in the big cities. Stupid is as stupid does I reckon. Keep your shit together people and help those "in need" watch your six. And don't forget to love your enemy, uh congressman, uh, politician, I mean neighbor cause ya might have to shoot his donkey. Peace, Love, an No Underwear!

Katrina
03-27-2020, 01:23 AM
BRR Can send ya some Reese's Eggs if ya really need them. Trade ya some yeast, LOL there isn't a scrap of yeast around here.
Seriously will send ya some if you need them. I'm covered on the yeast. Can't get my wheat berries though,did find a farm couple towns over that grows its own NGO wheat, so I'll be heading out there to get more if they still have any. May have to wait until this summer to pick up more.

Domeguy
03-27-2020, 04:55 AM
Atta boy! I knew I could draw you to the right side... see sig line 2

what flavour bbq sauce?

K.C. Masterpiece, sweet and tangy...but please note, just adding to the dogs food that the wife got...not the cats. She got a registered black lab puppy, or as I call her...that eating and shiting machine. Not my idea!

Domeguy
03-27-2020, 05:22 AM
The missus and I were planning on taking the RV up to Illinois to visit my sister. They were planning their 45th anniversary party, but their small town decided to close down the meeting hall they were going to have it in due to virus control, so we canceled the trip. I was going to provide the liquid refreshment, which I had made ahead of time, so on the plus side, now I’ve got several gallons of alcohol to be able to turn into hand sanitizer.
Don’t know where everyone else lives on here, but we live in a very small county in TN, with very sparse population. So for us, so far, it’s like this virus outbreak is happening in another country. Wide spaces between yourself and the closest neighbor. No one here in the county has been tested positive, but I know that could change in a heartbeat.

************If anyone here is really hurting for something, let me know. If I don’t have it, maybe we can get it in the county we’re you can’t in the city************

Fidel MD
03-27-2020, 05:25 PM
https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/mql_sars-cov-2_-cleared-for-public-release_2020_03_25.pdf

bacpacker
03-27-2020, 10:58 PM
K.C. Masterpiece, sweet and tangy...but please note, just adding to the dogs food that the wife got...not the cats. She got a registered black lab puppy, or as I call her...that eating and shiting machine. Not my idea!

Hey Domey, I like KC Masterpeice. But have you ever tried Sweet baby Rays BBQ sauce? To me it is a whole nuther step up.

Glad to hear you guys are doing ok. How close were you and BWRR to the Tornados that hiot down that way a few weeks back?

- - - Updated - - -

We are just staying around the house mostly. Have went out a couple times for specific items we wanted and for a recon trip just to see what things were looking like. Otherwise I'm working from home. Wife was told to stay home at least thru next week. Kinda getting a taste of retirement. So far everything has went just fine. No issues at all. Had plenty of food to eat on in the fridge and pantry. Picked up a few things to stretch that out further. Wife has been ordering food on line and we just go pick it up in the parking lot.

eagle326
03-27-2020, 11:36 PM
We're good here . Like BWRR said just watching people do the pee pee dance and seeing how stupid people really are . Only daughter and I travel out to the wilderness like Giant Eagle ; Walmart to pick up whatever looks like it may add to our stores. Wife has a compromised immune system and after almost losing her to it 8 weeks ago along with the RSV virus she's on lock down until further notice from doctor and us . My few neighbors are like us and we have eyes on all non familiar people and traffic in our area .

On a side note my 2 FN model 9 high powered 9 mm's are really enjoying the frequent rides to various stores and shops . I don't think they'll ever be the same again damn youngin's . ;) People in our area are still acting civilized for the moment but we'll keeping an eye on the wildlife so as to plan our moves .

Run Low Drive On

Metrocruiser
03-28-2020, 03:10 AM
Sweet baby Rays BBQ sauce
I make pulled pork with this sauce. Yummy

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-28-2020, 03:28 PM
OK confirmed a couple of cases in Coffee county and now we have some here in Franklin county according to the son who works at the hospital. Got a a nasty toothache been nursin, woke up up to to a swollen face, aint going to the dentist, BUT! We do have our medicinal stash of various antibiotics for this occasion, so amoxicillin it is. Yes, we survivalists are stupid people.........who's laughin still?

eagle326
03-28-2020, 05:44 PM
There are 22 cases in Stark county where I live . If I remember correctly we've had a couple people die not included in the 22 number .

Sniper-T
03-30-2020, 10:14 PM
OK confirmed a couple of cases in Coffee county and now we have some here in Franklin county according to the son who works at the hospital. Got a a nasty toothache been nursin, woke up up to to a swollen face, aint going to the dentist, BUT! We do have our medicinal stash of various antibiotics for this occasion, so amoxicillin it is. Yes, we survivalists are stupid people.........who's laughin still?

Suck it up buttercup! Hammer and a cold chisel! Pac! Toothache and tooth, gone!

lol
keep an eye on it, you may need the cordless drill and/or angle grinder.

eagle326
03-30-2020, 10:39 PM
Suck it up buttercup! Hammer and a cold chisel! Pac! Toothache and tooth, gone!

lol
keep an eye on it, you may need the cordless drill and/or angle grinder.

Domey has his mountain elixir for pain. Drink till you pass out ; remove tooth ( Wife as dentist ) ;)

Wake up after removal and drink till numb. Since wife knows nursing she'll take right fine care of you .

Run Low Drive On.

Domeguy
03-31-2020, 02:54 AM
No, no, no...all you need is a ice skating boot, (white preferably) and a large stone. Did no one learn anything watching “castaway”.
My mountain rumitizum elixir sure couldn’t though.

Sniper-T
04-01-2020, 10:00 PM
Well, the company just announced a reduced work week. now working 4/5 and getting paid accordingly.

At least still working.

helomech
04-01-2020, 10:45 PM
Well I will be stuck here it looks like till at least June, so at least I am getting paid, and with all the over time better than before. Just really sucks I can't be home, or at least have the ability to get home.

bacpacker
04-01-2020, 11:01 PM
I hate to hear that for both you guys. Different situations, but they both suck

Brownwater Riverrat 13
04-02-2020, 03:45 AM
Well, the company just announced a reduced work week. now working 4/5 and getting paid accordingly.

At least still working.

Ok, I guess I like the fact that they keep you working brother, but I still feel this is all bull shit. When all said and done, congrats, you politicians successfully controlled the population. They fell for it. Sorry brother, not against you or your country, I'm saying all of them. We are the losers here. I'm just sittin back waitin and I pray for the innocent in the next few weeks. Aaaaaannnnnd I hope I'm wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I will be stuck here it looks like till at least June, so at least I am getting paid, and with all the over time better than before. Just really sucks I can't be home, or at least have the ability to get home.

You my friend I would like to hear is back stateside where you belong right now. I'm sure the family might be alright but If there's anything you need. Feel free.

Sniper-T
04-02-2020, 05:42 PM
Controlling the population?? you're kidding right?

For every million that die from this 5 million will be born.

This isolation is going to see the biggest baby boon this planet has ever seen!

- - - Updated - - -

Controlling the population?? you're kidding right?

For every million that die from this 5 million will be born.

This isolation is going to see the biggest baby boon this planet has ever seen!

helomech
04-02-2020, 10:04 PM
I bet the net death toll is way down during this crisis. Just think of the reductions in car accidents, work accidents, gang violence, abortions being stopped, etc. plus like sniper said, the giant baby boom coming.

Sniper-T
04-02-2020, 11:06 PM
robberies and attempted robberies at grocery stores ( superstore) started here today in the parking lots... be aware, heads on swivels... and for God's sake, protect yourself!

eagle326
04-07-2020, 01:16 PM
Update on virus :

109 cases in Stark county
22 in hospital
8 dead

State wide :

4450 cases state wide
1214 in hospital
143 dead

4 dead at Alliance senior care facility bringing total to 8 in Stark. About 11 or 12 miles from my house.

Katrina
04-07-2020, 03:27 PM
eagle hope you're staying well. It's not to bad so far here, DH and I are still alive, well and kicking here. Talked to Son2 the other morning. He's still doing okay but he had to send a worker home the other day(coughing) and he's got one of his oldies(one of his meat cutters) coming in for couple of hours before the 10 pm closing to cut, wrap the meat for the next day. Said the guys wife wanted him out of the house HA HA HA. Just joking, he is down 1/2 of his staff now. As it's the meat department its cleaned regularly but he did say he's been extra extra vigilant.Has gotten many compliments, told his boss (store mgr) "My mamma taught me good" LOL. All meat is wrapped and in the open cases, they won't slice or cut meat if you want it then and there. IF they have it in the back they'll get that, slice/cut, wrap it and hand it to you. Company he works for sent out memo. IF employee (EE) or immediate member of EE in the home has virus, they are to stay home and Company will pay them their regular hours. Son2 says that has given his people some peace of mind. Stores are taking temps before they are let in though. He also said they are getting stock in now that the crazies aren't grabbing everything off the shelves and he let me know I can't use my bags anymore, gotta use the plastic ones,YUK. All in all he told us things are getting better. His store has a lot of the "gimme dat" folks and with the buses shut down traffic has slowed a bit but he's still busy.
Legislature is meeting today on Gov's request to extend the disaster powers but we believe they will only give 30 days not the 70 she wants. If that happens we'll be shut down till June, will have to contact airline to see what I can do about the ticket we booked for me back before this started. Just hoping they'll refund the $ (non refundable ticket) but more than likely they will only let me exchange it for a ticket later on this year. Who knows maybe they will refund. Not holding my breath though. Gov also is making noises "suggesting " places like Lowe's close down as it's felt they aren't "essential", HORSE HOCKEY. We have some minor projects we've wanted to do but put off 'cause life intruded. DH wants to get the garden going too. Cleaned out the boxes the other day and we have to rebuild the boxes(10 years old), last year was really hard on them and we need some things so hopefully she won't force them to close. Stores are finally getting smart and only letting 2 people in a group go into the stores. They can't bring the whole family in with them now. Read on another site one lady saw a couple of as she put it baby mamas try to bring the 5-6 kids in with them. She said security stopped them and those two went off on the guards but they stood fast didn't let them in. The idiots left she said cussing and carrying on with the rug rats behind them. Her words not mine. Nephew posted the hospital(TX) where he works is not accepting "home made" masks or gowns so the hospital is issuing paper ones and get this "sanitizing " them and reusing them. Found out my niece is home, had an emergency appendectomy a week ago, so she's out for at least 6-8 weeks at home.Her mom is glad but at the same time sad as her daughter is an high risk obstetric nurse and that will leave the department short And babies are still being born. Sorry to ramble on. Stay safe, God bless all

eagle326
04-07-2020, 06:17 PM
Wish you and your's the best Katrina . As for us we'll good to go.
Daughter works in pharmacy at hospital . They have their own private entrance with temperature taken before entering . She's very cautious in all she does . Runs house like hospital. Wife and I call her nurse Kratchet . :p

Her and I are the only 2 who venture out to various stores . 99% it's me who does the shopping among the wildlife out there . Wife is restricted by us as she has a weakened immune system at this time . So basically I let daughter stay home if possible to work with wife .

I figure us Nam vets may have some left over anti bodies left over from taking the malaria pills in Vietnam . So It's better for me to venture out than them . :) While practicing common sense and cleanliness.

Just think if we actually did we'd be the cure walking . ;)

bacpacker
04-07-2020, 10:22 PM
Glad you guys are doing ok Kat and Eagle. We are doing well. Mostly staying home, ordering food on-line and picking it up as needed. I need to do a Lowes run myself, need lumber for a project and want to pick up more plants for the garden.
Our county has 41 cases and 3 deaths. They were all very high risk folks. So many around here are just ignoring the virus and running around. I hate being stuck here, but we are making good use of the time.
Hope everyone stays safe.

eagle326
04-07-2020, 11:53 PM
Glad you guys are doing ok Kat and Eagle. We are doing well. Mostly staying home, ordering food on-line and picking it up as needed. I need to do a Lowe's run myself, need lumber for a project and want to pick up more plants for the garden.
Our county has 41 cases and 3 deaths. They were all very high risk folks. So many around here are just ignoring the virus and running around. I hate being stuck here, but we are making good use of the time.
Hope everyone stays safe.

Glad you and southern belle are good son. Yea we still have some who act as if the world is all good and ignoring instructions . They'll be the one's crying for help if they catch it . Darwin's theory in action .

Run Low Drive On

Katrina
04-08-2020, 10:33 PM
Glad to hear you're all doing good..So far. Legislature has only given the Gov. to end of month with the emergency powers but DH and I feel she'll come back and request another 30 days end of the month because some idiots in the State don't seem to want to listen and stay home. Just heard a mailman has come down with the virus, I think down by Detroit area.Heard from sister from another mother (my BFF), niece is back to work. She's a high risk obstetric nurse, just praying she's ok. It's too soon after her appendectomy but babies are still being born and her area is so shorthanded right now due to the virus. she felt she had to go back. Talked to SIL in NV. My brother did get shampoo LOL but he's not happy, cost him 9 bucks for the bottle. She said it was one of those as he calls it fru fru shampoos. She's working from home but as he's in construction, still has to go out to do the inspections and punch lists.But being very careful. Other Brother and SIL are doing ok, he's working from home but as they live on site of her job (manager of storage facility deemed critical), he's driving her crazy right now. So she put together a "honey do " list to get him outta her hair. Baby Sister's doing ok in VA. Waiting to hear from other sis. So we're all well and still chugging along but I'm running outta crossword puzzles to do :(. Got a note from baby bro in WA apologizing for being an idiot Seems ALL 4 of the sibs got on his butt too, wonder why?? LOL, Could be big sis spread the word??? AND he just found out someone in another section of the docks(he's never had contact with that area or personnel) there has come down with the virus. SO he's glad he's off work now and staying safe.Hope you all stay safe God bless

Socalman
04-09-2020, 10:21 PM
Where I live in SoCal, a bit east of Pasadena, most people are heeding the stay home request/edict. The majority of people are using a facemask if they go out. I personally know one older gentleman who played in a community band with me in Burbank who was diagnosed with the C-19 on 3/20 and on 3/23 passed away. He was in good health but was 93! In the actual city where I live there are no reported cases of the virus. I have followed the reported death rate and I am getting about 2.5% of those who have tested positive have died. Not as deadly as many had thought, but it is certainly easier to spread this bug.

We have been having a long session, for us, of early spring rain. Since Sunday it has been one storm after another, with perhaps no more than 3 hours between!. That is good since we were behind on on rainfall and the snowpack in the Sierra Mountains was below average. Since a great deal of California water is dependent on that snowpack it is a welcome storm.

Due to my schedule from mid-December to early April I rarely get to the gun range to do a little practice. Now, I can't get out due to this virus.

In many communities gun stores have been declared "non-essential" and closed. That is an order that is being challenged as unconstitutional and we will have to see what the lower courts here say. If I do get to a range, I will have to be wise in expending practice ammo!

Brownwater Riverrat 13
04-13-2020, 03:57 PM
Many things to comment on.......WE are GTG. Passed electrical ruf in inspection, now we have a green light to button the additions up. So we are continuing on. Things around here locally for the most part seem to be quiet, domestic dsiputes picking up, more sick but that is expected. "Baby Boom" good one! Guess they're done with the sex part, now they're out robbin people. Slappin each other around. OK, we'll see how the next week goes, eh? No pun intended "Sniper"

Sniper-T
04-13-2020, 07:36 PM
there have been a few muggings and robberies in grocery store parking lots around here recently, enough to warrant police presence in a couple areas.

Liquor stores are still big targets for teens. Many you have to scan ID even to get in.

Last week, a group of youths robbed one, and took the cops on a high speed chase, smashing into vehicles until the cops finally cornered them. Then they rammed a cruiser and an altercation ensued resulting in a cop shooting and killing a 16 year old girl.

Expect an escalation if enough of the wrong kind of people get desperate enough!

I've started locking my doors at night, and am prepared for a home invasion (also not uncommon lately)

Domeguy
04-13-2020, 09:31 PM
Moore County here in Tennessee is still 100% virus free. We are 1 of 7 counties in the state with no virus infections. It might change, but so far, we are taking social distancing seriously. If Jack Daniels had not stopped doing the tours about a month or so ago, I feel we would have been wiped off the map. We are the second smallest county in Tennessee, and most people just drive through with no reason to stop now.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
04-14-2020, 12:28 AM
SHIT MAN! Don't go tellin everyone we ain't got no virus round here. Sum bitches'll come from allover justa infect our asses. Way ta go, damn. I'mona come over there'n kick ya down that hill again.

eagle326
04-14-2020, 01:24 AM
SHIT MAN! Don't go tellin everyone we ain't got no virus round here. Sum bitches'll come from allover justa infect our asses. Way ta go, damn. I'mona come over there'n kick ya down that hill again.

Hell I don't even there B.W.R. but you should give Domey a kick from me also.
I'm wonderingg if he got dropped on his head a few times as a youngin' . :confused:

Domeguy
04-14-2020, 01:38 AM
All open knowledge on this fancy new internet thingy

Katrina
04-14-2020, 02:44 AM
Geez Packing the kids and animals up now. We'll be down in a NY minute. Just Kidding guys!! That is phenomenal. Hope you all stay virus free. So far it isn't too bad here but I don't know how long we have before more and more come down with the virus around here. DH and I stay home unless we (I) have to get scripts and other foodstuffs ie produce and dairy, I'm good on most everything else. I'm real picky about who handles the food so I will go out and pick it up. So I do the shopping, DH brings in the mail and takes a walk, weather permitting but other than that we are cogitating at home just waiting for the weather to get better so we can get the garden going. IF I can get some things, Not sure if Lowe's and Menard's will let us in to get the stuff, Thanks Guv. I got some seed but we need to rebuild the (10 yr old) boxes and get the dirt for them.
DIL2 's school just learned last week one of the janitors that packs the food (at central location) has come down with the virus. So because Son2 is in public daily and he and Grandson 2 have asthma, her boss told her to stay home just be on the safe side. So far none of them has shown any signs but they have another week or so of watching themselves and the kids carefully.Easter was VERY quiet this year. The kids were bummed they couldn't come here and hunt Easter Eggs and play with the aunts, uncles and cousins.We all stayed home, so first time in over 40 years no one was here for Easter. I pray this thing gets licked soon.I'm having grand kid withdrawal symptoms. Speaking of which, BRR how's that grand baby doing??

Socalman
04-15-2020, 01:39 AM
My wife has made a few trips to the store. I did very early on, but have stayed home under house arrest! Since I am considered an at risk person, age+history of bronchitis+some cancer history, I am playing it safe. We did go down to my daughter's home today and do some yard work for her. She was injured at work and unable to push a lawn mower so I took care of it today.

I keep wondering if here in Southern California had some early exposure to the virus back in late Nov. to mid January. We do Prescribe some have a decent amount of tourism from China and a number of business people who visit. Indeed my brother in law even spent a week in Wuhan a few years ago!. A few months back lots of people were getting pretty sick, the doctors would say, "You got a bug of something. but not flu." They would suggest rest, lots of liquids and everyone seemed to recover. Having said that I did have a musician friend that I last worked with on Feb. 29th. He was 93 but and succumbed to the virus around Mar. 23.

Stay safe all, but let's do what we can to get the economy moving!

Brownwater Riverrat 13
04-17-2020, 02:58 PM
Too late, we already been infected, done closed the damn local market down...............

Kesephist
04-17-2020, 03:41 PM
Been keeping low here. WM is, by virtue of selling medicines, food, and guns, "essential" and therefore am still working. Nicely full of hours, as my supervisor has a low version of COPD and judged it'd be safer for her to take two weeks off. The procedures WM has put in play were done so incrementally.

Kinfolk, the media has ramped up large amounts of panic on all this. Busy screaming about the logical hotspots and trying to spook folks into that the whole damn country is like NYC or LA or SF.

I don't much like the money handout. OH, yes, necessary... but not with all the damned pork pelosi and schiff and the rest of the left stuck in it. I won't see a cent, as I have been working all through this. And will continue to do so. Living by my self, no social doings, no family...

The low national body count speaks to me that the bug has been in country a lot longer than the official Chinese say-so. Down here in TN there is this annual thing here called "the crud". I'm willing to believe that a lot of people had the Wuhan bug and took it to be the crud and just soldiered on. (Vegas didn't have the crud... allergies all to hell from all the non-native plants, and living in a cross between a mixing bowl and a wind tunnel...mine was olive pollen)

This has been a slow motion SHTF. Though I would prefer to beat the tar out of him as opposed to quote him, Rahm Emanuel was correct: Don't let a crisis go to waste. And this one is very good at letting people see how their preps worked or didn't work, and what sort of fixes need to be in place if any.

A lot of folks got hunting and fishing licenses during this. Makes sense...exercise, sunshine, fresh air, by yourself.

Oh, and by the way... URI's like Wuhan, as a general rule, tend to slow down the the GI tract, as do their meds. So all these ijits filling every closetspace with TP only have two advantages: TP doesn't have a shelf life, and as much as they bought, will likely not need any more for a long long time.

Yr ob'nt and surly
Kesephist
KI7CIL

Domeguy
04-21-2020, 07:10 AM
Mr. K, you hit the nail on the head. Here in our county, it has been a slow motion SHTF event. It was all around us, but not here. We did report one case as BWRR stated. I haven’t found the details, but the store was open the next day. It looks like we will be starting to open our economy here, but we never really stopped it.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
04-21-2020, 04:50 PM
As I understand it, said "infectee" was a Jack Daniel's employee and not from Moore County. Most folks are business as usual but the square is pretty much dead with Jack Daniel's tours being closed. They rely on the tourism. We try to go into town and eat at the local eating establishments to help support them and our tummies.

We need to turn this country back on. Times are going to get tuff come end of summer.

Domeguy
04-22-2020, 01:56 AM
Our “stimulus check” from The Prez came to us, direct deposit, at a great time. Our refrigerator went out, and would cost $1200 to repair. This was a 12 year old refrigerator, so off to Lowe’s we went. Pretty crowded for everyone staying home. And we tore down the porch, which was getting a bit old and worn out. So, we are putting up a new one, a covered porch this time. When I shopped for all the lumber, the store was very full, again for a stay at home order. So, Lowe’s got all of the “stimulus check”. I did my part
by helping out their financial burden. So in closing, my hat is off to you Mr President, thank you for the refrigerator and porch.
And from what I hear, Nancy just loves the ice cream she bought with her check.

eagle326
04-22-2020, 01:06 PM
We now have the following in Stark County.

1- 28 dead
2-251 cases
96 currently hospitalized.

I think most of them are from the cities where it's more crowded and nursing homes .

bacpacker
04-22-2020, 10:41 PM
We've had a total of 46 cases, 3 dead. No new cases is last 2 weeks

Katrina
04-24-2020, 03:57 AM
good Deal Dome, Fridge AND a porch. AWESOME!! Just checking in. We're still doing good. Talked to Son2 today, he and family are still doing ok but I am worried, one of his staff had the virus and has come back to work supposedly cleared by his doctor. Of course this Mama is fretting but he said they are still good. He is taking precautions. Have gone through 4 crossword books so far. Finally found all the ingredients to make laundry soap, so I'm good. I was almost out. Was worried I'd have to get the Lava soap out to scrub the clothes clean, LOL. Still cold, rainy AND snowy here. Want to go out and play in the dirt. Son2 did say they had to call the police the other day at his store, some idiot woman(baby mama) tried to return 15-30 roll packages of TP and threw a hissy fit when she got told NO. Manager pointed to the sign states NO RETURNS on TP, Paper Towel, Hand sanitizer, etc. Son 2 said she just started screaming and yelling causing a ruckus. So they called the police to escort her and her TP out of the store. He said(partially joking) they have the police on speed dial. Other son is doing ok so far. DIL1 just found out last week she has a blood disorder, hemocrytosis ??(not sure of the spelling). Blood has too much Iron and red blood cells so now she has to go have a pint of blood drawn every 2 weeks to get that under control,got a text from them today, her back operation went well. she has outpatient surgery on her back, Doc burns the nerve ends to alleviate pain. works for 8-10 months and the time is getting longer and longer between treatments now. SON 1 has been off work for 3 months now and on unemployment but has not gotten any checks due to an error that the company he did a movie with screwed up and caused a delay in his payments. SO we're worried that they'll need some $ help but he told us he got a residual check from another movie that should tie them over for the next couple of months. He did get an email telling him the movie/TV show he was suppose to start before this all began looks like they will be starting up with "extreme" cautions and procedures this July if not in June, so hopefully he'll be back to work soon. He's not expecting a "stimulus" check, as he made too much to qualify last year, he thinks if anything it will only be the $500 for the baby. I did get a pleasant surprise last Friday, DH came in with the mail said I got a letter from the Settlement court on the the Takada suit. told him Well that's 50 cents we didn't have, opened the letter got almost $75 as a settlement. That went right into my checking account (aka my prepping account). Hope all are still well . stay safe.

Vodin
04-28-2020, 04:04 AM
Hello. Good to see all of you again.

My wife and I own our own business and have for 22 years. We are running tight and lean. Just waiting to get back out there. Been waiting for the last 6 weeks and the race starts May 8th. Possibly...

Socalman
04-28-2020, 04:02 PM
Welcome back! I too had been quite scarce around here for some time. For some reason I have more time on the computer now that I am under "house arrest" for the last 6 weeks!

Vodin
04-28-2020, 04:12 PM
I dont know if it has been stated here or not. Earlier in life I laid down a bike. The result was/is a TBI. I dont have short term memory per se. 15 minutes is my limit out side of that it takes time for me to find the memories.

Like Socalman I am locked in as well. This time provided me an opportunity to look into some links I have saved. Will be here more often to have an easier recall.

Side note, what is the status of Grumpy Old Man?

Again I am glad to have this opportunity to learn more.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
05-10-2020, 05:36 PM
Well, I guess we all died...............they arrested a homeless man in Nashville Friday. He was in a quarantined area at the fairgrounds (positive for the virus) and decided he had enough and jumped the fence and left. So they sent the sherrif after his ass and they arrested him for, get this, escaping a penal colony! The Mayor of Nashville is going to release all phone #'s an addresses of positive beer virus folks to the LEO's. So I guess if you don't stay put they're gonna throw you in the penal colony?

OK, chew on that for a while.

Oh, and last Saturday we had our 1st Officer involved shooting here in Moore county in oooh at least 25yrs. Suspect survived, bad day at the golf course, caught cheatin by his wife, a little alcohol, add pistol and a little stupid. All is well, I guess the wife will be moving out now.

Happy mother's Day to all the Colony's Tribal Mums!

helomech
05-11-2020, 09:10 PM
I am still alive and virus free in Guyana, got at least 3 more weeks here.

bacpacker
05-12-2020, 12:09 AM
Not dead here. Just busier than a one legged man in a butt kickin contest

Brownwater Riverrat 13
05-12-2020, 03:50 PM
Yup, we're still workin on the cabin, no one's lookin to buy the other one, payin the bills. Now we are coming to a stand still. Till the house gets sold we ain't forkin no more doe into the cabin. Keepin what we have in the accounts and on reserve till the SHTF or it blows over or the house gets sold. Nickles and dimes till then.

Glad to hear some of you are still out there and alive, it's still all bull shit and they need to turn the country back on.

bacpacker
05-13-2020, 12:01 AM
Long story short, I got really sick back in Dec. Initially just really short of breathe that came on all at once. As time dragged on it went into a severe cough, breathing kept getting worse, By mid Jan after 3 Dr visits, 2 rounds of anti biotics, 1 round of steroids and an inhaler I was getting no better and coughing so hard I thought I broke some ribs. Went to another Dr and got a steroid shot and put on a nebulizer 3 times a day. Still no imporvement. They did refer me to a Pulmanoligist. He did all these breathing test and told me my lung function was 42% of normal. He put me on steroids again and a steroid inhaler. Within a week I started breathing a little better, another week and week back for a follow up and was tested again. This time I was up to 72% function. I go back and see him in June, still doing the inhaler, but off everything else. By the end of March I felt decent, but had zero stamina. Trying to do anything in the garden I would do 30 minutes and I'm done. Also got sent home to work in mid March. Just went back last week. I'm feeling much better now and can put in most of a day.
Work is hectic with all the crap going on, Trying to push the garden hard at home. Don't leave much time for much else.

I'll quit bitchin now. Glad to hear you guys are doing ok, Hopefully the house sells before long. And yeah it is bull shit, all the numbers they put out are totally designed to scare everybody and shut the country down. Now that the economy is in the tank now they bitch about that and the rising price of food. What the hell did they think was gonna happen.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
05-15-2020, 03:41 PM
Hey I could bitch...but their ain't enough room on the internet to hear me out.