PDA

View Full Version : USS Bonhomme Richard LHD-6

Kesephist
07-13-2020, 07:45 PM
On 12 July 2020, an explosion occurred about 8:50 a.m. aboard Bonhomme Richard while in home port at Naval Base San Diego undergoing maintenance. The resulting fire was fueled by paper, cloth, rags or other materials, not fuel oil or other hazardous materials, Rear Adm. Philip Sobeck, commander of Expeditionary Strike Group 3, told reporters that evening. That day, 17 sailors and four civilians were taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries; all but five were released by morning of the next day, Navy officials said. As of 13 July, the ship is still on fire.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
07-14-2020, 05:54 PM
WTF? Did not know this. Been to engaged on tryin to make a deal. Thanks but not good news.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
07-14-2020, 06:08 PM
1st glance at some of the footage. My assessment, she's in a "yard" period. Most likely just returned from deployment. Looking at all the conex boxes on deck the contractors "yardbirds" are on board and most all systems are "tagged out" for maintenance. So, there will be a lot of complacency in my opinion. Between contractors and "post deployment laziness" makes for a good recipe. And then there's Seaman Hadji.............need I say more. We'll see how it plays out.

Fidel MD
07-15-2020, 08:21 PM
As I understand it, she was tied up alongside after a yard period...finishing up a 2 year maintenance period.

Well, it'll be longer than 2 years to fix her now...if she can be fixed at all.