PDA

View Full Version : ENO Hammocks

mitunnelrat
03-03-2011, 05:09 PM
I was just window shopping at my local Gander Mountain this morning, and ran across one of these. (http://hammockcompany.com/detail.php?id=ENO-SINGLE-NEST) I'm curious if anyone has any experience with them because the small packed size will fit in my Versipack, and would seriously improve my quality of life from that bag.

bacpacker
03-05-2011, 06:53 PM
The wife got me one for my birthday last year. My plan is to use it in my GHB. I work 35 miles from home and know that I will likely have at least 1 night to lay up on the way home.
Like you mentioned, the package is small and light. They also make a rain fly to use with it. I think that would be lighter and more packable than a tarp. I'm hoping that it fills the bill for me.

mitunnelrat
03-07-2011, 03:05 AM
Not only the rainfly, but it looks like they've got the components needed to make it a 3-4 season setup. Of course, while that'd make it bulkier than my little GHB could handle, it gives me some ideas for my BOB. Then again, if I get into the couple hundred it would take for that setup, I might as well just get one of the Hennesy's I've been drooling over for a couple years.

Kodiak
03-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Hammocks are a nice luxory item to have should one be in need, but my concern is in a bug out or get home situation whoever is sleeping in a hammock becomes a nice target for anyone that happens by. Personally i would rather hunker down out of sight and deal with being uncomfortable.

bacpacker
03-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Kodiak you make a good point unless you can concel inside a dense patch of undergrowth.
I think where the hammock would really shine would be in really wet conditions with standing water and falling rain/snow. Just to get you up out of the soup. Concelment would be a huge priority however.

mitunnelrat
03-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Concealment, imo, is a priority in a limited set of circumstances, which don't even encompass every evacuation event, let alone every emergency/ disaster. I believe a person's only hurting themselves in the end if they select gear/ make decisions within tight limits. Abraham Maslow said it best:

If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
Read more: Abraham Maslow Quotes - BrainyQuote (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/a/abraham_maslow.html#ixzz1FvOC2QXV)

Yes, I'll be putting this in my GHB, but that bag is also EDC, and I'll use its contents whenever possible or needed, which isn't always for emergencies. While its possible I may need it to get home during an emergency, its more probable I'll want to kick back on a riverbank while fishing this summer :D, and very calming to know that my preparations have improved the quality of my daily life. Having gear we use regularly, and know well, will often be of more benefit than a skill or tool we rarely use or need.

Just my thoughts on that matter.

TEOTWAWKI13
03-07-2011, 08:50 PM
I have an ENO, I have to get a rainfly/bug net for mine, I went with the khaki/olive colors for obvious reasons. But at the size of a softball, it takes up no space at all. I also confiscated my old man's Vietnam era hammock.

bacpacker
03-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Hey Tet glad to see you in here.
MI I agree every time SHTF is not a all out tryin to avoid contact at all cost situation. There are certain times I wouldn't use the hammock, but for everyone of those situations I can think of 5 where I would.
They don't provide the protection of a tent, but are lighter, even with the fly. I also think you could get out of it and into a fight/flight mode quicker than in a tent as well.
All that said it's not a be all end all thing but it has it's practical uses and if being able to relax every now and then is one of them, that's nothing but a good thing in my mind.

mitunnelrat
03-08-2011, 03:41 AM
Sorry, I forgot to clarify that I like to keep as many options as possible - including concealable options, which is why I either own, can make , or plan to own everything from components for expedient shelter, to tents, to (eventually) a camper and a retreat cabin. This is but one more tier in a progressive plan for me.

TEOTWAWKI13
03-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Sorry, I forgot to clarify that I like to keep as many options as possible - including concealable options, which is why I either own, can make , or plan to own everything from components for expedient shelter, to tents, to (eventually) a camper and a retreat cabin. This is but one more tier in a progressive plan for me.

That's a good plan. I want to buy a truck tent for my vehicle. I also have a 2 man tent. I want a small popup camper or a smallish camper of some sort as well. I like camping a lot, so it would be dual purpose :)

Grumpy Old Man
04-25-2011, 05:56 PM
You may want to check this out from Bass Pro. I use this one when I camp in the desert as I have an aversion to scorpions and other crawlies coming to see me.

Kamp-Rit Oversized Tent Cot with Rain Fly (http://www.basspro.com/KampRite-Oversized-Tent-Cot-with-Rain-Fly/product/89513/-1318348)

RedJohn
04-25-2011, 05:58 PM
I like the "above ground" feature. Good to put in the BOL.

mitunnelrat
05-10-2011, 07:06 PM
I went ahead and got the ENO single nest in green/ tan last night. It was incredibly simple to set up and take down. Its also incredibly easy to hit the dirt with it - whether on purpose (or not). Please don't ask me how I know! ;)

I can already tell I'll be adding more of their components to it over time. It was waaay too comfortable to simply leave it at home for the back yard! I'll post pics and a review after I get some better use out of it.

bacpacker
05-10-2011, 09:20 PM
MI the two items I like are the rain fly and the bug net. Seems to be good products.

mitunnelrat
05-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Those are the two items I had specifically in mind! I got the super slap straps already. They were quite a bit longer than the standard straps, and only a few dollars more. I might appreciate that extra length some day.

bacpacker
05-11-2011, 01:01 AM
I looked at those, but was considering 550 cored since I always cary a bunch of it anyway. How long are they? Maybe need to9 reconsider.

mitunnelrat
05-11-2011, 01:49 AM
they're actually called the "Slap Straps PRO", and they're 9.5 feet long each. They're also incredibly easy to use. You can throw the end across/ over whatver you want to use as an anchor, pull the running end through the loop they've sewn in, and clip the hammock's 'biner into any one of several attachment points sewn along its length. I'd actually recommend this setup to an amputee, its that easy.

mitunnelrat
05-11-2011, 01:55 AM
they're actually called the "Slap Straps PRO", and they're 9.5 feet long each. They're also incredibly easy to use. You can throw the end across/ over whatver you want to use as an anchor, pull the running end through the loop they've sewn in, and clip the hammock's 'biner into any one of several attachment points sewn along its length. I'd actually recommend this setup to an amputee, its that easy.

ETA: I'm reading reviews on REI. Apparently these straps are great for lounging in the backyard (which is where I used them), but are "too stretchy" for serious backcountry use, which affects how the hammock hangs and can sag enough overnight to put you just above ground. The common solutions from all complaining so far have been to use polyester straps, which won't harm trees either, or to set the straps at shoulder level.

cwconnertx
05-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Concealment, imo, is a priority in a limited set of circumstances, which don't even encompass every evacuation event, let alone every emergency/ disaster. I believe a person's only hurting themselves in the end if they select gear/ make decisions within tight limits. Abraham Maslow said it best:

I used to make sure everything was easy to conceal. Now I make sure I can conceal if necessary, but also have the option of being seen.

For example, my bivy sack is a more muted color, while my sleeping bag is very bright yellow. If I want to be seen I can lay the bag out and attract rescue, or use it inside the bivy sack and stay hidden. Or put up the foliage green poncho tarp and really blend in to woodlands.

cwconnertx
05-17-2011, 06:33 PM
While its possible I may need it to get home during an emergency, its more probable I'll want to kick back on a riverbank while fishing this summer :D.

Don't forget to spring for the cupholder attachment!

biggcarl
05-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Just pulled the trigger on this:

Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip: Product Specs -- Hennessy Hammock (http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/specs/explorer_deluxe_asym_zip/)

Should arrive Wed. I have a friend who swears by them. I'll post pics as soon as I get time to test it.

RedJohn
05-23-2011, 11:39 PM
Hmmm, interesting. Please let us know.

mitunnelrat
05-24-2011, 03:36 AM
Don't forget to spring for the cupholder attachment!

Oh, I already have one of those, her name is... umm... maybe it would just be better to say I already plan on upgrading the straps, and if I finish that first statement I will have to downgrade the quality of my cupholder. And I too am very interested in a review of that Hennessy Hammock.

mitunnelrat
06-08-2011, 06:42 AM
I looked at those, but was considering 550 cored since I always cary a bunch of it anyway. How long are they? Maybe need to9 reconsider.

I was just looking at my straps again recently. They're rated to 200 pounds, which explains why they were stretching under the weight of my fat ass. Also, I hung a hammock swing with some 550 cord yesterday, looped it through my ring about 20 times, and so far its given about 2 inches under periodic use maybe equaling an hour. Neither option seems adequate to my needs, but either could be used in a pinch.

bacpacker
06-08-2011, 09:08 AM
As they say, well crap. I thought I had thought of everything.
Thanks for the update.

RedJohn
06-08-2011, 09:33 AM
These are easily overlooked data until you climb on it and break a bone. Thanks for the info.

bacpacker
06-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Just had a bright (well maybe not so much) idea. I've got a couple of old tie down straps (nylon) that I used to hold a motor cycle on a trailer. They have the metal lock/release system on them. These would not sag with me in the hammock, but would be heavy to carry. tractor supply carries a decent variety of that type strap, next time I'm there I'll look at what they have and report back.
My thoughts were to wrap the long end around a tree and hook the hook back over the strap. Then take the shorter end and hook it thru the ring on the hammock and pull the slack out until it is a tight as you want it. I don't feel like it would sag but very little if it did at all. Something to consider anyway. I hope I can find something without the big metal release systems that will hold in place.

freeman-22
09-21-2011, 12:42 AM
I have used the Hennesy Hammock and I'll say it is as good as advertised. If you are worried about staying concealed just put it up in some thick brush. Getting a good nights sleep and staying dry is really helpful if you have a to spend a night outside on your hike to get home. Very easy to setup and take down and packs easily into a BOB.

mitunnelrat
09-23-2011, 08:49 PM
bp, i was just reading somewhere about people altering those for hammock use. Let me see if I can find the info and get a link to it.

sigma pete
10-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Ratchet tie down straps are the way to go, if your weight is a concern and carry weight is not. I'm over 300# and have been using the 15' 400# orange ones from Harbor Freight with no signs of stretching or adverse wear for about 2 years now. I camp 1+ weekends a month plus 1 week each summer, so they're getting a workout. If carry weight is a concern, you can remove the ratchet portion and box stitch sew a series loops like the slap strap.

As far as hammocks go, I have a homemade double layer ripstop nylon hammock. A friend that I camp with monthly recently bought an Eno in order to try out hammocking. It looks to be decent quality construction. My only concern is that it's not ripstop material, which will likely be the cause of its ultimate demise. For what he paid for it, I'd say he did alright if he gets 2+ years out of it. My homemade one cost a whole lot more but I have piece of mind that it'll hold my weight without fail and I expect to get 4-5 years out of it.

TEOTWAWKI13
10-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Ratchet tie down straps are the way to go, if your weight is a concern and carry weight is not. I'm over 300# and have been using the 15' 400# orange ones from Harbor Freight with no signs of stretching or adverse wear for about 2 years now. I camp 1+ weekends a month plus 1 week each summer, so they're getting a workout. If carry weight is a concern, you can remove the ratchet portion and box stitch sew a series loops like the slap strap.

As far as hammocks go, I have a homemade double layer ripstop nylon hammock. A friend that I camp with monthly recently bought an Eno in order to try out hammocking. It looks to be decent quality construction. My only concern is that it's not ripstop material, which will likely be the cause of its ultimate demise. For what he paid for it, I'd say he did alright if he gets 2+ years out of it. My homemade one cost a whole lot more but I have piece of mind that it'll hold my weight without fail and I expect to get 4-5 years out of it.

details on how to make this homemade hammock...I'm interested.

dragon5126
10-07-2011, 12:27 AM
I hate hammocks... they are never long or wide enough for me and I end up getting wrapped up like a mummy in them. But a point of info you need to remember with any off the ground sleeping device, cot or hammock or whatever. in cold weather you need a minimum of three to five times the insulatoon on the bottom as you do on the topof you due to compression from body weight, no matter what type of material it is (non rigid of course). When you are above ground you will have ambient temp air circulating below you as well as above, and since heat rises the bottom side of your body will chill faster. Some of you live in climates where this isnt an issue and is not even thought of. But it is a very real concern and can result in hypothermia even with a good fartsack.

mitunnelrat
10-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Ok, I found the info I was thinking of. A user named xxxDarksidexxx over on ZS posted on it. I pm'ed him and asked if he'd either come here to discuss it, or allow me to copy and paste his post. I got the ok to copy it:

here is the suspension system i put together for my double nest.

the straps are 1" x 10' from a set of ratchet straps that i had. the weight limit ( max ) on the ratchet straps is advertized at 900 lbs. SWL is 300 lbs. im guessing the lower SWL number may take into consideration the hardware/ratchet, but im just guessing on this.

the quick links attached to the straps at the trees are 1/4" x 2 1/4". they and are SS, and rated at 1,200 lbs SWL.

the quick links attached to the hammock are 3/16" x 2". they are SS, and rated at 1,150 lbs SWL.

the rings are 1 1/4" ID. they are zinc coated steel and rated at 270 lbs SWL.

all items were purchased locally at home depot and tractor supply company. the small pouch i have the straps in is also from tractor supply company ( 3 sizes for 5.00 ) the straps are in one of the smallest pouches.

the whole setup weighs 1 lb 6 oz accoring to the stren fishing scale, but this does not include my tarp and additional cords for it.

i tried it tonight for the first time in the backyard with this suspension system. i think im happy with it, but i need to get it out into the woods for some longer hang time. i may end up eliminating the quick links that are on the straps. i may also buy some straps from strap works that are a little longer, maybe 12' with a 2" loop sewn into one end.

These are two of his images on the setup:
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/IMGP2885.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/IMGP2882.jpg

sigma pete
10-07-2011, 11:08 PM
details on how to make this homemade hammock...I'm interested.

You ask and you shall receive. I've made 3 hammocks total (1 for me and 1 ea. for my boys). Here are the docs that got me started...

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad298/sigma_pete/Double-LayerHammockInstructions.jpg

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad298/sigma_pete/bugnet.png

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad298/sigma_pete/hammock-and-tarp_lo3e.jpg

sigma pete
10-07-2011, 11:20 PM
I hate hammocks... they are never long or wide enough for me and I end up getting wrapped up like a mummy in them. But a point of info you need to remember with any off the ground sleeping device, cot or hammock or whatever. in cold weather you need a minimum of three to five times the insulatoon on the bottom as you do on the topof you due to compression from body weight, no matter what type of material it is (non rigid of course). When you are above ground you will have ambient temp air circulating below you as well as above, and since heat rises the bottom side of your body will chill faster. Some of you live in climates where this isnt an issue and is not even thought of. But it is a very real concern and can result in hypothermia even with a good fartsack.

My experience is that no amount of insulation between you and the hammock will work because you'lll remove all of the trapped air with your body weight. Instead, you use an underquilt which basically means that you suspend a sleeping bag or quilt to the underside of the hammock where gravity will maintain the loft. It's simple yet more complicated than that so do a google search for "hammock underquilt" and read until your heart's content. I'm using what's called a single or double "poncho liner underquilt" or "PLUQ" with just another poncho liner and/or a fleece sleeping bag (as a blanket) on top.

Regarding comfort, you need to have the proper spread/tension on the hammock so it hangs right and then lay on a diagonal (head on one side and feet on the other) to get a flat lay and not have the sides roll up on you like a burrito. I find sleeping in a hammock more comfortable than my bed. A weekend in the hammock and my back feels better.

dragon5126
10-08-2011, 12:22 AM
The hollow cored insulations do work, but are not very "space efficient" as no matter what type of compression system you have you cant compress them down like you can good down, in which case you end up with a bulky kit. I've seen hammocks where people have sewn in a "pocket" om the bottom side that allowed an easy addition of the "under quilt" you mention. Form me, I find it easier to just set up a bed on the ground using whatever form of insulation I can find naturally, as well as some fire heated rocks.

bacpacker
10-08-2011, 12:40 AM
Rat I seen those straps at TS, but I had forgot about this thread. The quick links, or carabiners are a great idea. I think I just got the finishing touch to using mine.
The underquilt is a good idea and deserves some more research for sure.