PDA

View Full Version : Katadyn Pocket Microfilter

Gunfixr
09-25-2011, 05:20 AM
A couple years ago, I took the plunge and ordered a Katadyn Pocket Microfilter. You know, the $200+ one with the ceramic filter. I got it from CTD for something like $240. It has a silver impregnated ceramic filter that can be repeatedly cleaned and is good for 13,000 gallons.
It is the standard used around the world. For some time I've had other filters, using replaceable units that last about 200 gallons, but I just didn't want to run out of filters, especially with a family of 4 to hydrate. After all, water really is the first on the list of necessities.
I've used it several times now, and it works great. It is plenty easy to use, doesn't take up a huge amount of space, and is easy to maintain, even in the field. It makes water quickly, so not a lot of time is wasted. The silver impregnated filter unit naturally keeps bacteria growth away, so it will wait for you to get to clean it.
I know, it's big bucks, and I put it off myself for years. But once I took the plunge, I've not regretted it.
For my GHB, it's just an inexpensive 50 gallon worth bottle filter, but for the main BOB, this is it. I do want a second one, after all, two is one, and one is none.
As one bushcrafting friend of mine says "It'll make camel piss into clean, drinkable water, in no time at all."

bacpacker
09-26-2011, 01:16 AM
I tend to lean that direction myself. I bought a PUR ceramic filter years ago for backpacking and have never regretted spending that money. I do recommend getting multiple pre filters for it. They will extend the life and spread out cleanings .