PDA

View Full Version : Winter Vehicle Preps

Fatty
09-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Another winter is around the corner and I'd like get a head start on an updated emergency bag for the vehicles. I've typically kept a blanket, some chem lights/flares, a couple mre's, flashlights, bottled water, etc in a bag along with a shovel on the side. But I figured since we don't have a "master list" that I could find via the search option, I figured I'd throw that out there:) Any/all ideas welcome.

The Stig
09-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Not a bad idea to get a head start on things.

In Ohio I would add a milkcrate full of an extra bottle of windshield washer fluid, blanket, winter boots, gloves, hat, ice scraper, frozen lock deicer stuff, etc to the normal amount of preps I carried with me.

In Mississippi in the wintertime? Hummmmm. I might throw a light windbreaker in the backseat come December.

Bruuuuhahahahahahahha

bobthe
09-27-2011, 06:28 PM
In Mississippi in the wintertime?

ha. ordinarily I would have laughed along with you on that one living in central florida. But last winter we had one heck of a cold snap. Two weeks of bellow freezing. Homes down here aren't insulated for that kind of temperature and don't have heating for that kind of temperature. I ended up having to have my son camp out on the floor in my room and run the fireplace most of the night to stay comfortable.

sounds like a good idea for a thread "what do you expect to be the least likely SHTF for you, and how to be ready for it"

The Stig
09-27-2011, 06:51 PM
ha. ordinarily I would have laughed along with you on that one living in central florida. But last winter we had one heck of a cold snap. Two weeks of bellow freezing. Homes down here aren't insulated for that kind of temperature and don't have heating for that kind of temperature. I ended up having to have my son camp out on the floor in my room and run the fireplace most of the night to stay comfortable.

Oh sure, even this far south it gets cold. When I moved down here in February it was 32F and freezing rain 80 miles north of us (I'm almost on the coast). It was only slightly warmer than that here (maybe 35ish) when I rolled into town was probably mid march before the temps rose back up to 50ish. My Grandfather spent the winter in Ft Lauderdale and his reports mirrored your experience. Just plain old cold all winter.

All that aside, the topic at hand is changes to your vehicle to account for winter. The fact remains I'm not hauling around a snow shovel and 50lbs of of deicer if it's 35F and nary a snowflake has fallen in the last ten years.

If you make changes to your in-car supplies what are they?

sounds like a good idea for a thread "what do you expect to be the least likely SHTF for you, and how to be ready for it"

Actually, I think that's a great idea for a thread. Toss it up in general discussion. Good thinking.

Stg1swret
09-27-2011, 10:22 PM
I change out the wiper blades for heavy duty ones, I also add a small 1qt size alcohol heater. This can be home made easily. I don't carry a snow shovel, but rather a folding entrenching tool, small amount of cat litter (about 5lbs) it is great for traction. Blanket, Energy bars, and chocolate. Small esbit stove , coffe/tea bags. 50ft of rope, ice scraper and brush. A few packets of instant soup. Flares and a spare flashlight, bivybag type emergency sleeping bag. My B.O.B. is always in place I just change out dependent on the season.

Stormfeather
09-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Well, first off I was setting up my vehicle yesterday for winterization, so this is kind of easy to write about.

1- changed all fluids in the BOV Jeep
2- Added 3 tubes of sand in the back compartment for weight
3- added the extra 2 tow straps to the front push bumper for easy access.
4- Just got in my power flares and added 5 to the Jeep and 5 to the Rover PowerFlare Corporation (http://www.powerflare.com/)
5- Checked the fire extinguisher
6- Went thru the JBOB (JeepBugOutBag)and verified all GTG, and it is.
7- Added an extra E-Tool because a buddy gave it to me due to his ETS from .mil.

Sniper-T
09-29-2011, 03:54 PM
I add a couple extra cans of seafoam,
I stash a bottle of lock de-icer outside of the cab of my truck,
blankets,
boots,
woolens,
toque,
gloves,
sterno heaters,
pots,
candles...

I make sure that my antifreeze is good down to -50F and my washer flui is same.
I put in a thinner oil.
I add 2 additional shovels to the box

I add 100' of chain to the always present 30' of tow-straps.
heavy duty jumpercables.

If the weather is going to stay below -35F for an extended period, or if there is a crazy wind with it, I'll cover my grill.
I dig out my spare key, so I can pre-warm my vehicle, or leave it running if I stop somewhere for less than a couple hours.

heavy duty extension cord,
check the block heater.

test the battery

That's about it.... Welcome to Winterpeg, Canada! LOL

bacpacker
09-29-2011, 04:12 PM
Sounds like it gets kinda cool up there.

Sniper-T
09-29-2011, 04:21 PM
meh!

all a matter of perspective.

we also get a bunch of snow too:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii16/AroundWinnipeg/Winnipeg12312006.jpg

realist
09-29-2011, 05:19 PM
I guess since we had a frost for about seven or eight days straight that would not count as being cold. It must have gotten down to at least 30 degrees, really....

BTW Sniper T it doesn't even get that cold in my freezer...... I can deal with the cold and snow but not the ice.

Sniper-T
09-29-2011, 05:42 PM
Ice is good! Ice is your friend! without ice how on earth could we drive our trucks and snowmobiles across lakes and rivers??
It also goes well in rum. lol

In truth... we usually only get 2-3 weeks of -35F type a cold. but it will go down and stay below -20F from mid November until the beginning of April. with some exceptions of course

Not much different that the Wisconsin-ite... just a little colder for a little longer

The Stig
09-29-2011, 06:06 PM
In truth... we usually only get 2-3 weeks of -35F type a cold. but it will go down and stay below -20F from mid November until the beginning of April. with some exceptions of course

Holy christ.....I just got a splitting headache trying to imagine that.