PDA

View Full Version : How To Cook Perfect Rice, Every Time

JustAPrepper
09-28-2011, 11:34 PM
It's probably safe to say that most of us have lots of rice in storage and we all know how to cook it but my mother used to cook the "perfect" rice and I never knew how she did it. She passed a long time ago but I think I found her secret and I've been doing it for years now with excellent results every single time and not a single grain stuck to the bottom of the pan.

I start with a small shallow pan with a lid, like mom did, not a small deep pot. (You can try it with a small pot, I just happen to have a pan similar to what my mom used so that's what I use.) I use the 2:1 ration of 2 cups water to 1 cup white rice. I put the water in the pan, cover with the lid to start boiling and while that's happening I put the rice in a fine meshed sieve and rinse it until the water runs clear, rinsing out the starch. This helps to keep it from clumping. NEVER salt your water until it's boiling. If you are using a good pot/pan you will pit and scorch the bottom. Once the water is boiling, add rice and a pinch of salt. Return cover. Set timer for 20 minutes and reduce your heat until you see a thin stream of steam escaping from the lid. That thin stream of steam is the key. Not too much and not too little. It may take a few tries to find the sweet spot but on my gas range it's a 2 on my dial (Low-Med. Low) and my rice comes out light and fluffy, with no "stickage" every single time.

It's also not necessary to rinse the rice, especially in a SHTF situation if water is scarce. I do it now because I "can" and I prefer fluffy rice. Not rinsing the rice first will keep it starchier so it may tend to clump but if you get that little bit of steam coming out of the lid it will still be cooked perfectly all the way through.

Dropy
09-28-2011, 11:44 PM
I concur with above advice. I grew up in the resturant biz, done some chef work/plenty of line cooks work. I dont like to rinse my rice. i prefer it sticky...the way it was meant to be.

Stormfeather
10-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Sorry, the half pacific islander side of me loves my rice sticky! (No need for a spoon this way!)

mollypup
10-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Rice is going to be a staple in a lot of prepper's diets. I've got a lot of it stored and ready to use. I've been experimenting on trying to find exactly how much rice will adequately feed my family. I don't want them still feeling hungry, but I don't want any left-overs either. I've been using some of my dried preps and rice as experiments in flavor, texture and amount per serving. So far, I have only over-cooked a couple of times. I needed the reminding of how dried food expands when allowed to fully rehydrate. I mix the rice and re-hydrated veggies plus a little meat and try to make a full meal out of it. One pint of canned meat, one cup of dried rice and not even a full cup of say, dried green beans seems to make enough food to feed two adults and two kids for a full main meal.

dragon5126
10-14-2011, 03:08 AM
hey I am so white I glow in the dark but if I cant eat my rice with chopsticks it belongs in soup!

ladyhk13
10-14-2011, 03:15 AM
I think it depends on what you are having with the rice whether ya want sticky rice or fluffy. Nice to know how to make fluffy rice though. I even like it sometimes when ya leave it a little long on the bottom so it crisps some. Rice is all in the seasonings!

izzyscout21
10-14-2011, 08:25 PM
It doesn't matter whether it's fluffy or sticky. It tastes the same once I smother it in Nacho Cheesy goodness!

Geez........no wonder im kinda pudgy

Grumpy Old Man
10-14-2011, 09:40 PM
I usually steam my rice in the bamboo steamer I use for my veggies, dumplings, etc when I'm using one of my woks. I agree that sticky rice is great. I particularly like it covered with cream gravy with fried pork chops.

Stormfeather
10-17-2011, 08:37 PM
man, reading some of your additives to rice, im surprised some of you folks havent died from cholesterol poisoning by now! hahaha! Im sitting here reading and feeling my arteries hardening up!

izzyscout21
10-18-2011, 12:23 AM
man, reading some of your additives to rice, im surprised some of you folks havent died from cholesterol poisoning by now! hahaha! Im sitting here reading and feeling my arteries hardening up!

In order for a well oiled machine (myself) to run (or walk/ drive a jazzy) effectively, it must be adequately lubricated (cheese/gravy) and/ or on oxygen after the fact.

Dropy
10-18-2011, 12:41 AM
i usually steam my rice in the bamboo steamer i use for my veggies, dumplings, etc when i'm using one of my woks. I agree that sticky rice is great. I particularly like it covered with cream gravy with fried pork chops.

omg gravy!!!!!!!!!!!

Sniper-T
10-19-2011, 04:12 PM
I typically use an electric rice cooker, but given the name of the website and what we're prepping for, I've gone 'old-school' for the past couple weeks to try out your approach.

It did take some playing to get the steam level just right, and it created several batches of stuck rice to get it right. but when it does work, it works great. But I did find that there was some variations on the times required with different types of rice. Basmati was 2 minutes less, Jasmin was about 1 minute more (than 20).

I have 6 other kinds of rice too, that I imagine would take some experimentation too, and then I would need to create a chart of rice cooking times... too much of a PITA for this cowboy.

Here's an alternative for you to try... this is a method that a chinese roommate taught me 20+ years ago back in school.
Rinse rice as per usual,
put 4-5 cups of water into a pot, bring it to a boil, add 1 cup rice. boil it until it is done. dump it into a strainer shake the water out of it, then put it back in the pot with the lid on for about 2 minutes.

fluffy rice everytime