PDA

View Full Version : Sleds

Sniper-T
09-29-2011, 05:56 PM
Around these parts, sleds (or snomobiles) are an important part of winter, and another part of the BOV collection that must be maintained. It isn't uncommon to have nasty winter blizzards where 2+ feet of snow will fall, even more will pile/drift up, and everything from roads to powerlines go down.

While my home is well set for days/weeks/months of being shut off without power, a lot of people near me are not. But even though I'm set, it is nice to be mobile, whether to run a neighbour to a BOL, or run into town for some fresh milk/veggies... This is where a sled comes into play. add a tow-behind sleigh, and you've got winter mobility with a decent payload.

here's a shot from a moosehunting trip, which might help put a local bug out into perspective:

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/other/moose3.jpg

This was taken about 30 miles from my secondary BOV, that's three guys (myself included) with 3 machines, 3 sleighs, and 3 moose (6-900 pound animals)

bacpacker
09-30-2011, 12:27 AM
Sniper that looks awesome. Good hunting as well. What type machines and sleighs do you guys use?

Sniper-T
09-30-2011, 11:08 AM
I run a Polaris 500, one buddy had a Polaris 440, and one Arctic cat 800. We had two *boggan* sleighs and one homemade job. That pic was taken on the second day, after about 6 hours of chainsawing and bushwacking, we finally made it out to an old logging road, so we stopped there for a beer and lunch... and a picture

dragon5126
10-07-2011, 05:27 AM
for a good design for a towable build it yourself sled (dog style) get a hold of a copy of the reprint from your local Boy Scouts of America on klondike derby sleds. Actually, if you have time, hed into the service center and check out all the reprint booklets they have as well as older hand books and field books as well as their merit badge books. These are MOSTLY from pre political correctness days and teach everything from how to make wooden skis to wooden archery bows to finger printing (it's actually where I learned that part of my trade) to you name it...