PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Engines

Kodiak
03-07-2011, 12:49 PM
I currently have an '03 pickup with a 6.0 diesel engine and have heard that you can run them using the grease from resturant fryers once you strain it. I understand that eventually the engine will prob fail, but in a pinch it is possible. My question is with all of the electronic components in a modern diesel engine will this still work? Or is this for older diesel engines.

Im not much of a car guy so am just curious.

gunbuilder69
03-07-2011, 02:11 PM
That's a good question, Chubbs,any answer?

Chubbs
03-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Well actually I do. You need a kit to run straight veggie oils that consists of injectors and glow plugs designed for that. But here is a link to explain it alittle better!

Straight vegetable oil as diesel fuel: Journey to Forever (http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html)

Now if you find a gas station that carries bio-diesel you can run that straight with no modifications to the truck.

W9driver
03-20-2011, 03:57 AM
There was a guy here loacally who had been doing this for a few years. He pulled campers for a company. His truck ran great but it bit him in the end. Since he was getting old veggie oil and using it for profit he got a audit and fined for not paying fuel tax. But if its for personal use I wouldnt think it would be a problem. Also I used to work for a trucking company who recycled their old motor oil by adding a gallon or two to each fuel tank every fill up. It was dispersed in the diesel enough not to cause problems and they didnt have to pay disposal fees or haul away the used oil.

Kodiak
03-20-2011, 08:55 AM
I would definetly go bio diesel if i could find somewhere around here that sells it. Thanks for the link chubbs.