PDA

View Full Version : Nets for fishing

Grumpy Old Man
10-06-2011, 09:29 PM
After talking with my hunting/fishing buddy after my last charter trip, I've decided that I need to learn to throw a net to catch baitfish and perhaps other fish. Which, of course, led me to investigate seines and other nets. The only experience I have with nets has been the hand helds used to land my fish. So........ anyone here have any experience with using nets to catch fish? I'm thinking that this sort of technique could be very productive from an energy expended standpoint in a survival situation or when SHTF.

dragon5126
10-07-2011, 05:03 AM
Gill nets are about the best bet for fresh water fish since for the most part they dont school up the same as salt water varieties do when they are big enough to eat. Here on Lake Michigan they used to use large dip type nets on a cross frame to haul in smelt. But we were also having problems with alewife coming in from the St lawrence seaway and dying in the fresh water and stinking up the beaches, so the DNR started stocking the lake with salmon. No more alewife as the salmon ate them, it also created a massive sport fishing industry... so the stocking continues to this day, unfortunately the samon now are eating almost all the smelt... so there aren't enough to net... that was pretty much the end of any netting for food in this region. Gill nets, while not allowed unless you are a native american (no comment), are the only alternative and are made of light line the fish dont normally notice and try swimming through as they generally are used across a full span of a river or creek. I've observed them being used, and they are effective, and contrary to common belief normally dont entrap smaller fish as they tend to swim through the weave. If you are in an area with a lot of rivers they are a valuable resource IF you can process and dry the fish that are excess, (think no freezers available). If not look at set lines as they are less likely to over harvest. While our survival is the primary concern, we do need to look at the ideology of the native americans that were here before the whiteman. They took omly what was needed to ensure that there would be a continuing supply for following years. We can't forget that survival doesnt just mean "until tomorrow, or things get better" it means living on for the natural duration of our lives, and that includes the lives of our offspring and theirs...

izzyscout21
10-08-2011, 07:49 AM
somehow, I seem to see the formula like this:

Nets + water + ME = Rescue squad

In all seriousness though, I'd like to learn how to use a net effectively. I think it would be a great way to catch fresh meat whil still maintaing OPSEC. It's quiet. I like that.

Kodiak
10-09-2011, 04:45 AM
Lunchbox and I were just talking about this topic on our way home a few days ago. I agree that learning how to use a net to fish would be a valuable skill. Im gonna start shopping around for one, and i know a certain pal who has a pond to practice in. =)

Grumpy Old Man
10-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Try this link for a net manufacturer that's fairly close to you.

Fishing Nets (http://www.memphisnet.net/category/nets)

I'm thinking the 3' radius, multifilament multi cast net and a 20' seine mad of #15 twine.

Kodiak
10-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Try this link for a net manufacturer that's fairly close to you.

Fishing Nets (http://www.memphisnet.net/category/nets)

I'm thinking the 3' radius, multifilament multi cast net and a 20' seine mad of #15 twine.

Thanks for the site Grumpy, and i agree the 3' radius net would be perfect.

Something else that i picked up a few years ago were a couple of crawdad traps. You should look into those, they are a nice way to get some grub while doing minimal work. I picked mine up at Bass Pro.

LUNCHBOX
10-10-2011, 08:45 PM
I have used the 6' nets and had alot of success (I do like me some bluegills/sunfish/redear, depending where your from) Kodiak, if you bring that contraption over you better have something to put on the grill....haha.

bacpacker
10-11-2011, 12:49 AM
Gotta check out the crawdad traps. Never saw those before. That is some good eatin right there.

Kodiak
10-12-2011, 04:40 AM
Here is the crawfish trap that i got.

Deluxe Crawfish Trap | Bass Pro Shops (http://www.basspro.com/Deluxe-Crawfish-Trap/product/44701/64906)

Sniper-T
10-13-2011, 03:14 PM
It isn't hard to do... but does take some practice to do it well. the size of the mesh will determin the size of the fish you catch.

There are a lot of you-tube videos out about how to toss one.

youtube, net casting - Bing Videos (http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube%2c+net+casting&qpvt=youtube%2c+net+casting&mid=CE3807E52174B77FC92DCE3807E52174B77FC92D&FORM=LKVR#)

or

youtube, girl cast netting - Bing Videos (http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube%2c+girl+cast+netting&sk=&mid=C9C666938DA682FE4F4EC9C666938DA682FE4F4E&FORM=LKVR2#)

just google "cast netting" or "net casting" ?!? go figure. lol

I tried some modifications a number of years ago, with an 8' net... where I took the weights off 1/2 the net and put corks on, then let it hang in the water like a commercial fishermans gill net. Limited success, but caught a couple nice ones that would be welcome in SHTF. you need to equip for your area, a 5" Whitefish net won't do much good for smelts... so know what kind of fish you are targeting.

Oh, and fyi... a net is measured on a diagonal from knot to knot, when pulled tight.

Those crawfish traps are awesome. I LOVE eating them little devils!

dragon5126
10-14-2011, 03:16 AM
crawfish on a salad with ranch dressing, with a good full bodied beer... dammit now I'm hungry!

faster
10-16-2011, 09:26 PM
you can use regular fencing to make traps and seines. Just overlap 3 pcs of it, and the mesh size goes from 5" to 1.2". You can block a stream with such a "seine", and then come downtream with another such "net", moving one end at a time, with rocks to keep it vertical, floats to help with that, and a big stake at either end to hold it. You walk forward a bit with one end, stake it, then repeat with other end, until you've penned up a lot of fish. They will live a long time if you give them some room, and serve as bait for other critters. Ditto their guts and heads. shoot the dogs and cats, etc, that come to feed on such, and eat them. Set snares for the dogs, and box traps for the cats. Make the latter out of fencing, too, if need be.