PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a hunting noob

The Stig
10-07-2011, 10:37 PM
I want to give hunting coyotes and hogs a try. Not all that interested in deer, birds etc.

I know this is very very broad, but any bits of wisdom or tips/tricks you could share with a suburban kid who's version of hunting is trying to find the hot sauce isle at WallMart?

Gunfixr
10-08-2011, 02:40 AM
Uhhh, the bullets come out of the end with the little hole in the middle.

Seriously, in many places coyotes are considered pests and there are bounties on them. That's right, you get paid to kill them. Also, their pelts can be sold on the fur market, but only if not damaged. Normally, they are trapped and shot in the ear or eye, so as not to damage the pelt.
Often, they do crop damage, or kill deer that landowners get paid by hunt clubs to allow to be hunted, so landowners will pay for each one killed.
So, you can be paid by the landowner, and paid by the county, and then sell the pelt, if you work it right. That's year round.
At least that's how it works here.

dragon5126
10-08-2011, 03:49 AM
the single best piece of advice is take a hunters safety course. First off it is probably required to get your hunting license in the state you are in ( most require them of all but the oldest farts). You may well know the ins and outs of safe firearms handling but these courses go beyond that and take it to the level of ealing with safety while hunting, and you will learn more about dealing with the game than you realize, not to mention they are an excellent source of contacts in your area to find out good hunting areas and other important tips from people who are taking their kids to the course. and dont feel embarassed about being an adult, there are plenty of adults that take the courses as well. When I enrolled my youngest in the course last season half the class was over 25...

izzyscout21
10-08-2011, 07:18 AM
Just come visit. We can hunt both. I will teach you, padawan.

dpwill99
10-08-2011, 07:21 AM
+1 dragon's advice. If you're new to hunting that's a excellent place to start. Additionally (At least up here) plan on taking a rifle for coyote that shoots long and flat. I've never seen one closer than about 150 yards away. They seem to just KNOW when someone is hunting them. As for hogs, I can't offer a bit of advice. Never even seen a wild hog.Other than that the only thing I can say is approach a hunting trip like you're going for a walk in the woods with a rifle and any game brought home is a bonus. It always seems like if you're determined to go out and get an animal you are guaranteed to not see one.

izzyscout21
10-08-2011, 07:32 AM
The cototes here will get well within 50 yards. They seem to have no fear. I shot one with my 1911 last year after it tried to eat me. Distance: about 7 yards.

As for hogs, I typically hunt them with a .308 or larger. The hogs here are a bit more leery of people, but they are everywhere. It's not too hard to find them. Key is, stay clear of momma pig and those tusks.

I will also echo the others' advice. Take the class.

dpwill99
10-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Wow, 'yotes are gutsy down there! Do you have a lot of hogs in Tn? I thought they were more down Georgia/Florida way. Thaat's something I've always wanted to try hunting.

izzyscout21
10-09-2011, 12:56 AM
That's not a typical experience, but they do get very close. I think that one had rabies.

Hogs are all over the place down here. Especially up here in the mountains..

dpwill99
10-09-2011, 06:19 AM
If I ever get down that way maybe you can take me out after them. Goes both ways, though. You ever want to go bear hunting up here give me a shout!

Sniper-T
10-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Not overly applicable to you folks as such... but with an easy adaptation it could be. My favorite way to hunt yotes (and foxes and wolves) is to go out onto a lake ice fishing. Tarp up the entire site including sleds with white tarps. and cover our clothing with one of these: Tyvek Suits, Protective Clothing & Disposable Tyvek Coveralls from T.a.s.c.o. (http://www.tasco-safety.com/clothing/clothing.html)

Then when we catch some fish, take them 50-100 yards away, in an appropriate direction for the wind and gut/gil them on the ice. set up an electronic call, and go back and sit behind the tarp with the rifles.

fun fun fun

Oh... adaptation... think fields and appropriate coloured ground covers... it seems that once they smell the blood, they have a single purpose in life... to take a bullet! lol

helomech
10-13-2011, 04:51 PM
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/helomech1973/IMG_1487.jpg

Look at this nasty thing my 12 year old shot last weekend.

Sparrow
10-13-2011, 05:24 PM
My favourite book(s) that have hunting as a side line are: The earth Children's Series by Auel.

> Earth's Children - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_Children)

Clan of the Cave Bear, Valley of the Horses, Mammoth Hunters etc ...

These books are particularly great for women as the main character is a woman. Amazing, amazing books.

Sparrow
10-13-2011, 05:27 PM
I don't like that picture of the dead coyote at all. I would never kill them, unless they were a threat, which they aren't around here at all. They are small and look so much like a dog ... I don't see any reason to kill them, kind of a waste of time around here (now this is not commenting on places where wild game might be over run by them and a problem - I am commenting on the situation here in NB Canada where they aren't a problem at all).

helomech
10-13-2011, 05:36 PM
I don't like that picture of the dead coyote at all. I would never kill them, unless they were a threat, which they aren't around here at all. They are small and look so much like a dog ... I don't see any reason to kill them, kind of a waste of time around here (now this is not commenting on places where wild game might be over run by them and a problem - I am commenting on the situation here in Canada where they aren't a problem at all).

We kill everyone that we lay eyes on. Same thing for bobcats, and hogs.

And if you look at the picture, you could see my son actually did it a favor. That thing was nasty.

Grumpy Old Man
10-13-2011, 05:39 PM
The coyotes have become such a problem over in Orange County (The O.C.) that some towns (I think it is Laguna Niguel) have hired hunters to come in and get the population under control. Pets are being lost to the packs with regularity, and small children might be enticing to coyotes as well. They have also interbred with feral dogs and wolves up north to produce a "super coyote". They are the most adaptable of the canine family and as such there are a lot more of them around than you might think. Much like mountain lions here; people don't see them so they thought they were endangered and stopped the hunting season. We lose a few joggers/mountain bikers/ treehuggers to them around here every year. Go Cats!!

Sparrow
10-13-2011, 05:44 PM
That was it just killed? If so, that is very sad it look very malnourished and sickly! I am curious as to what state that is, and is all the wildlife in a sorry state like that?! I'm not used to seeing something like that. Just the other day my rottie was freaking-out barking at a huge moose! Boy that moose looked huge and healthy! And running fast from the barks!

My rottie and I see their scat all the time when we go for hikes, then he pees on it. I've only seen one once as it ran down my drive all nice, healthy and fluffy good winter coat - late last fall.

Sparrow
10-13-2011, 05:47 PM
The coyotes have become such a problem over in Orange County (The O.C.) that some towns (I think it is Laguna Niguel) have hired hunters to come in and get the population under control. Pets are being lost to the packs with regularity, and small children might be enticing to coyotes as well. They have also interbred with feral dogs and wolves up north to produce a "super coyote". They are the most adaptable of the canine family and as such there are a lot more of them around than you might think. Much like mountain lions here; people don't see them so they thought they were endangered and stopped the hunting season. We lose a few joggers/mountain bikers/ treehuggers to them around here every year. Go Cats!!

Makes sense to me, no winter to keep populations in check! Oh another reason to love Canada: Oh Canada, my home and native land ... :) :)

Sniper-T
10-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Sparrow... please don't portray your opinions as gospel, and please don't speak for others. (here in Canada where they aren't a problem at all) I too am from Canada, In Manitoba to be vague, and we have such a problem with coyotes that there is an open season on them, and many munincipalities do offer bounties on them. If you read the national news there is something almost everyday about the problems these animals are creating. In the last month alone I have killed 8 of them, and yet my nextdoor neighbour just lost 4 pet peacocks to them, and another neighbour down the road lost 2 dogs. Coyotes pack up, and a single one will lure a family pet out into a field or onto the road where the pack will kill and eat it.

A co-worker has already lost 3 calves this year, and her neighbour has lost 6 sheep... and yes... around here, they are wreaking havok on the deer populations as well as the rabbit and prairie chicken populations.

If you dislike pictures of dead animals, perhaps you should avoid the hunting thread in the forum??

What part of Canada are you in?

Sparrow
10-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Yes it was only dead about 2 minutes when that pic was taken. We are in a bad drought, so we are seeing a lot more of these nasty yotes.

I just read this website: Problem Wildlife | Wildlife & Ecosystem Protection — Conservation | Province of Manitoba (http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/wildlife/problem_wildlife/coyote.html)

It seems there is a problem with coyotes having disease and mange. That one looked really sickly! If you have pets at home I would suggest washing well if you touched it so they don't get mange or sick.

And for Sniper, I'm sorry to be a bit touchy :). But here is a list for you from the above website for Manitoba:

Reducing Coyote Problems

Do not feed coyotes or any other wildlife, especially near human habitation.
Keep all garbage in plastic or metal containers with lids tightly secured.
Keep children under close supervision while they are outside.
Bring pet food inside a secure location every night or, better yet, feed your pet indoors.
Keep pets inside at night and under close supervision while they are outside during the day.
Avoid close contact with any wild animal or wild animal feces to prevent exposure to disease or parasites, and ensure your pet's vaccinations are up to date.
Coyotes may be trapped during an open season using approved humane traps and trapping techniques. See the annual Manitoba Trapping Guide for more information.
Coyotes can also be removed by a homeowner at anytime in defence of private property or to protect personal safety on land that they own (but not Crown land). Property owners may also use the services of another individual, such as a licenced trapper, to address a particular problem coyote on their property.

Those traps sound like a good idea, and less work. Here in NB they aren't a problem at all. Also their scat contains small bones and fur proving them to be FANTASTIC vermin control. Also, your open season seems pretty short and not during summer breeding months. I'd be most concerned with keeping the diseased ones away from my pets and livestock then anything else.

But still, I stand by my original statement that in comparison, Canada does not have the same problem with Coyotes that the USA does!

Sparrow
10-13-2011, 07:03 PM
One last thing. If I had a coyote problem, and no big dog. I'd get a big dog.

A big dog of the working/ herd guardian type would do wonders in keeping coyotes and other unwanted wildlife away. Mine goes around the property marking it with his pee every day ... the only thing that came on the property this year was a gopher in the garden ... and he ran scared when my rottie barked (he's chained so he can't chase or wonder).

Here there are bears, moose, deer, coyotes, gophers, rabbits, racoons, etc ... and no problems because of my big dog!

Sniper-T
10-13-2011, 07:39 PM
There we go... now we're talking the same language... I was starting to wonder about that whole Mars/Venus thing. lol:D

The season is actually quite long, opens with the first hunting season in mid April with Bear season , and runs through to the end of Feb... Trapping season overlaps this as well, and they are encouraging people to trap more and shoot less, as then it makes one more conscious of and likely to utilize the hide.

Here's a quote for you:

Big Game Hunting
Gray Wolf and Coyote
Licences
Gray wolves and coyotes can be hunted under the authority of any big game licence, and as such, there are no tagging requirements.

from here: Manitoba Hunting Guide (http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/wildlife/hunting/biggame/grwolf_coy/index.html)

This means if someone want a pelt they can shoot it as long as they have a big game tag and take the hide. if they do not want the hide, they do not need any licence, they do not have to tag it, and they do not have to remove it from the bush. meaning, anyone can go out and shoot them at will.

and again... in a lot of areas they are paying upto $50 for the right front paw.

In some areas there is up to a $150 bounty for wolves.

I don't know if you saw my 'trapping thread' but I have been actively culling them for over a month now... (as nuisense control) in that time I have taken 6 foxes, 8 yotes and a wolf.... And this is just on my property. That I've taken with 2 single traps.

Now, even though trapping season is now open, the hides are still not worth anything because it is/has been too warm out... after the cold sets in, they'll come out with their winter fur, and I'll have a dozen or more traps out, and I'll save/give away/sell the hides.

And as for your next post... I do have a dog... a great big lab. so I'm not worried about anything like that to me or my place... but my neighbours with small children/pets/livestock... I try to help them out too. but for dogs... when I have more time another day... I'll tell the story about when we were dog sitting a husky "in heat", and how bold the yotes and wolves got

and not just for these critters... I shot a bear 2 weeks ago (ish) 25 from my house after it trashed my bird feeder and garden shed. and this Spring my neighbour lost a poodle to a cougar.

By the way... I'm a fan of Auel too. I attribute her to the reason I ended up with a degree in Archaeology/Anthropology

Peace!

Sparrow
10-13-2011, 07:58 PM
When I commented on the picture, I said it was sad. And it is sad the state of that creature.

One other thing I though of, is probably a good idea to bury it or better yet - burn up the carcases. If you leave then there ... full of disease, mange, rot and possibly rabies ... other starving animals will eat it and the disease cycle continues. Which is bad for you, anyone bitten, livestock bitten etc ...

Side note Sniper: aren't men from Mars? :)

bacpacker
10-14-2011, 01:41 AM
Yotes are becoming a larger problem around here as well. My former boss had killed 7 on his 11 acres and he lived pretty close to town 3 miles or less. We've had them here before but never had trouble yet. Since we got the chickens, I will be happy to remove them. Rabies is the big problem around here with yotes and coons in particular.
I read some of Auel's stuff as well years ago. Very good writer IMO.

dragon5126
10-14-2011, 03:24 AM
I don't like that picture of the dead coyote at all. I would never kill them, unless they were a threat, which they aren't around here at all. They are small and look so much like a dog ... I don't see any reason to kill them, kind of a waste of time around here (now this is not commenting on places where wild game might be over run by them and a problem - I am commenting on the situation here in NB Canada where they aren't a problem at all).

You will change your tune when your poodle dissappears... Yotes eat domestic dogs like they are chocolate bars...

dragon5126
10-14-2011, 03:41 AM
With the diseases that yotes carry, any big dog that would be left out to defend live stock would be put at risk of getting those same diseases. You cant innoculate against mange, and the innoculations you can give your canine are only 89-95% effective so your animal is still at risk. Th only way to prevent the spread of the disease is eradication of the source. You really do need to educate yourself much more about the dangers of coyotes. They will and commonly do pack up and attack larger dogs as a singular source of food. If you are seeing yotes in your drive way and you have a rottie in the house you should be damned worried about leaving the house at any time of day since they hunt at any time of day or night, and your rots presence is not doing anything to deter them. Add to the fact that they seem well fed, and are in your drive way means that they are HUNTING in your driveway...

Sniper-T
10-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Well now, I've certainly done my part to de-rail this thread...

My appologies to the OP.

Back on topic...

We also have wild hog issues around these parts, mostly stemming from people who actually brought them in planning on farming them; then realizing after the fact, that there is no fence in the world that can contain these things if they want to get out.

So in an effort to cull them, they now have an 'open season' and no bag limit. meaning anywhere, anytime... shoot them (safe hunting/shooting laws in effect of course).

like Tennessee, we have a lot of big bush around here, and this is where they are moving into, so when we go hunting, it's an adventure. It is also often quite impromptu. Let me explain...

Myself, and my group of friends are all outdoors people, so we, or one of us could be out somewhere doing something. snowmobiling, quading, hiking, x-country skiing, etc. and if we see some fresh tracks, the phone call goes out, and we try to arrange a hunt for the next day. We try to get at least 4 people but the most success comes with groups of around 8. we'll go back out to the area of the fresh tracks, and spread out in a line, with the center person on the tracks. Then we stalk the animal(s) until we locate it, then try to get the 'wing-people into position to cut it off, and get into a shooting position.

We are generally in pretty heavy bush, and most shots are within 20 feet. we typically use .30-.30's or .45-.70's with open sights.

what type of terrain do you plan on hunting?
sight-line distances?

The Stig
10-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Well now, I've certainly done my part to de-rail this thread...

My appologies to the OP.

Back on topic...

what type of terrain do you plan on hunting?
sight-line distances?

I'm along the gulf coast so lots of thicket/underbrush, lots of pine/oak trees....usually clumped together with irregular open spaces inbetween.

So shots can be up-close-and-personal, or 200 yards. Just depends.

Sniper-T
10-14-2011, 12:05 PM
If they are abundant in your area, AND are allowed to under tennessee hunting regulations, I know guys that have been successful hunting them over baits. get yourself to one of those areas that you've got a decent line of sight, with some distance (a 200 yd clearing would be good) but set your bait in the middle, so you effectively cut yourself down to 100yds. This will give you more options for your position depending on the wind.

Hogs are very wary critters, and you'll want to be as scent free as possible, and downwind of where you hope they'll be. You'll also want to be invisible. either buy or make a blind, and utilize some local foliage to personalize it to the location.

Then hunker down, and use your best 'these here are some good eats' calls and wait.

Sniper-T
10-14-2011, 02:01 PM
I mentioned a story about a husky in heat earlier… and since it is pertinent to this thread I’ll add it here (rather than the requested PM’s)

Two winters ago, my wife and I had the joy of dog-sitting for her sister of their young Husky pup… who happened to be a female in heat at the time. My wife picked it up from her sisters and took it home, we set up its’ bed in the sunroom, and dog-proofed the room. It should be said, that I am not a fan of having dogs inside the house! She put the leash on it and took it for a walk around in the yard, the whole time it’s whining and yowling, and making whatever other sounds a dog in heat makes, peeing all over the place, etc etc etc…

I get home a couple hours later, plow the driveway, shovel the steps etc, and when I get inside my wife says that she went to take Zoey (The dog) for a walk, but heard some coyotes and could hardly hold the leash. No Biggie, I grab her, and head out the backdoor with my wife, only to be stopped in my tracks on the second step by the sight of a coyote about 30 feet away in my back yard.

I stepped back into the house and grabbed a .30-.30, and a handgun for each my wife and myself. By the time I got outside again, that coyote was gone. I fired a couple shots into my berm, figuring that the noise would scare him even farther away. Reloaded, and off we went for a walk down my bush trails. We made it about a hundred yards and were both (all three-the dog too) stopped short again, as the bush seemed to come alive with howls A mixed bag of wolf, coyote, and fox calls ALL AROUND US. Literally, there were dozens and dozens of them.

We were walking by moonlight, but at this, I snapped a flashlight on and shone it through the trees, and there were eyes everywhere around us. They were all still baying barking and howling, so we turned around and started heading back to the house, basically dragging this snaky dog with us… she really wanted to go ‘play’. We hadn’t gone more than a couple dozen steps and we were stopped short again as instantly we were in absolute silence. Every animal stopped howling at the same time. I spun around and immediately fired off three rounds, and we high-tailed it back to the house. As soon as we slammed the door closed behind us, the howling started again.

We got back without incident, and got the dog back into the sunroom… but she stunk… I grabbed some paper towels and wiped her scent off her back legs, and put the paper towels in a ziplock bag, and threw them in the freezer. Since I had to work the next day, I put in a set of earplugs, and went to bed. My wife napped a bit on the couch but Zoey howled all night, and in response, the wolves and coyotes howled all night. I got up and went to work without incident, and came home earlier the next day, so I would still have some daylight. First we walked the dog up and down the driveway a few times, my wife didn’t want to get too far from the house (me neither) even though we were armed. Once the dog did her business, my wife went back in with the dog, I wiped her down again, and bagged the scent as before, but this time I took it with me, along with the rifle and a couple extra boxes of shells.

As I headed out to the back forty, I looked around, and saw that the ‘dogs’ had run a vigil around the house for most of the night, as they had packed down a ring through over 2 feet of snow, and had run it almost down to bare ground. When I got to the clearing in the back, I checked my wind direction and took the scent towels and hung them up in some brush. I backed off to a shooting position and within minutes they started to come in.

In less than hour (‘til dark) I shot 19 coyotes, 4 wolves and 2 red foxes. Normally, when you fire a shot at a pair or pack, the rest run away and are never to be seen again. But this day, they would run off a bit, then turn and come right back in. I left with a full magazine, but they didn’t look twice at me, they single-mindedly went after those scent towels and tore that whole area apart fighting over them.

In my absence, my wife loaded the dog back into her car and went back to her sisters’ place, where she stayed for the next couple days. I waited an hour, then fired up my sled, hooked onto the sleigh and went out to pick up the carcasses. It took three trips, and the next 14 hours to skin them all out.

I used the rest of the scent towels on a couple different occasions since then, but with less success, I still got a few yotes and another wolf, and they still came in without regard for their safety, but not in the numbers of that first shoot. In hindsight… I should have put the scent out the day before the planned shoot. Probably high up a tree, where they can’t get to it, and then go back the next day for the shoot.
I always keep an ear out for anyone saying the have a husky in heat, and will do this again!

Sparrow
10-14-2011, 04:16 PM
With the diseases that yotes carry, any big dog that would be left out to defend live stock would be put at risk of getting those same diseases. You cant innoculate against mange, and the innoculations you can give your canine are only 89-95% effective so your animal is still at risk. Th only way to prevent the spread of the disease is eradication of the source. You really do need to educate yourself much more about the dangers of coyotes. They will and commonly do pack up and attack larger dogs as a singular source of food. If you are seeing yotes in your drive way and you have a rottie in the house you should be damned worried about leaving the house at any time of day since they hunt at any time of day or night, and your rots presence is not doing anything to deter them. Add to the fact that they seem well fed, and are in your drive way means that they are HUNTING in your driveway...

Thank you for your concern and advice. It is always appreciated.

Around here the land is in 200 acre plots. Lots of dogs and nobody has problems with coyotes, just next to me the guy has lots of sheep and their auzzie Shepard has digressed into a house baby and no longer guards the flock at all - still no problems with predators. I saw one, before I got this dog and the house/property was vacant for over 6 months.

Basically, where I am - they aren't to be feared. They're small, in good heath and mind their own business. However, I wouldn't be silly enough to keep our family Pomeranian outside ... a hawk would get it!

helomech
10-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Hogs are very wary critters, and you'll want to be as scent free as possible, and downwind of where you hope they'll be. You'll also want to be invisible. either buy or make a blind, and utilize some local foliage to personalize it to the location.

Not around my parts. I have a video of me hollering at some, and the didn't run away until I got within about 40 yards of them.

Sniper-T
10-14-2011, 04:31 PM
Not around my parts. I have a video of me hollering at some, and the didn't run away until I got within about 40 yards of them.

where abouts are you?? Sounds like I should be hunting down there... lol

helomech
10-14-2011, 04:47 PM
where abouts are you?? Sounds like I should be hunting down there... lol

About 2 hours north of Houston, near Palestine, TX. I can post the video, but there is some cursing on it, I was on the phone with a buddy when I was filiming it.

dragon5126
10-15-2011, 04:16 AM
Hon, your idea that yote are not to be feared is highly misguided. I really suggest you contact someone from your governmental game management department and get correct information. Yotes and wolves are classified as predators for very specific reasons. Even small and "healthy looking" yotes have attacked people all across North America.

dragon5126
10-15-2011, 04:19 AM
Iv'e hunted hogs that would bolt at a flea fart and Iv'e seen them literally charge the jeep because we woke them up... It depends on their mood, time of day and how you're holding your mouth at the time.

helomech
10-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Iv'e hunted hogs that would bolt at a flea fart and Iv'e seen them literally charge the jeep because we woke them up... It depends on their mood, time of day and how you're holding your mouth at the time.

Yeah, when I am hunting them, they are very cautious. But when they are in my backyard they are not scared till one of them dies.

Sniper-T
10-15-2011, 02:27 PM
...and how you're holding your mouth at the time.

My mouth is usually hanging slightly open, with a thin stream of drool running out one corner, as I am mentally firing up the barbeque... is this wrong?

Sniper-T
10-15-2011, 02:35 PM
Another common way that we hunt coyotes, is while we're out big game hunting. Once we get a game animal (deer, bear, moose...) we'll take it back to a strategic location to gut it, leave all the eviscera where it piles up, but then take the lungs and drag them in a few different directions leading from the bush to the gut pile. then take them and hook them on a tree 4-5 feet in the air, so they drip and the smell is carried by the wind.

We'll take the animal back to hang, then come back out with the smaller rifles and take position for a couple hours. The birds always move in first (ravens, hawks, eagles, etc) and they start making a racket... Doesn't usually take long before the first curious yotes start showing up. Always leave the first couple... They'll gorge themselves for a couple minutes, then start howling... as they call in their friends. Be patient, we try to wait until there are 8-10 around before we start shooting, and can usually take a half dozen before they run off too far. wait a bit longer, as there is always one or two that come back for a little more.

faster
10-16-2011, 09:19 PM
if you call them electronically, at night, best have both a shotgun with 00 buck and a tight choke, and a rifle with a scope and luminous x hairs, or an optical sight. Sometimes they are close and moving fast, other times they are hanging back. You want the right tool for either situation. I'd say, tho, that you need to get a .22 rifle, first, practice a lot with it, take some squirrels rabbits, etc, and build your hunting experience. Pelts are worthless except in cold weather, and even then, many are worth very little, due to mange, etc.

Sparrow
10-16-2011, 10:56 PM
My mouth is usually hanging slightly open, with a thin stream of drool running out one corner, as I am mentally firing up the barbeque... is this wrong?

I got a pic of Sniper-T this morning ... he was dreaming about this thread!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_JY1XiYvSvKE/TUr9wgomGOI/AAAAAAAAADM/qCGkzoB36_I/s1600/sleep_drooling1.jpg

Sniper-T
10-17-2011, 10:42 AM
HEY!!!

You said that pic was for your eyes only!!

lol

izzyscout21
10-18-2011, 12:46 AM
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/1180604787768.jpg

bacpacker
10-18-2011, 01:00 AM
Damn that looked like my pillow this morning.

Sniper-T
11-02-2011, 02:04 PM
bump...

How you making out Stig? Get out at all?

The Stig
11-03-2011, 01:30 AM
bump...

How you making out Stig? Get out at all?

Hey man...thanks for checking in. Sadly no. I've been bugging one of the cousins to go but it's not real high on his priority list.

And it doesn't help that I've spent more time on airplanes and in hotels lately than I have been home.

Sniper-T
12-02-2011, 02:52 PM
bump again Stig... that's another month... did ya get out at all?

The Stig
12-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Sadly no. Business travel, holidays and training classes have conspired to keep me out of the field.

Keep asking though.....I want to get out there.

Sniper-T
12-07-2011, 10:12 PM
been out yet?

Sniper-T
12-07-2011, 10:13 PM
been out yet?

??

Sniper-T
12-07-2011, 10:14 PM
been out yet???

lol