PDA

View Full Version : Emp

bacpacker
10-07-2011, 10:43 PM
1) What are your thoughts on being hit by an EMP (either from a CME or nuclear blast)?
2) What have you done to try and protect your important items you feel you must have?
3) What items are at the top of your list to protect?
4) Does anyone have any resources to read and study to learn more about the issue and how to go about protecting your stuff? What stuff is most likely to be affected?

Is there other issues related to EMP's I have left out?

Stg1swret
10-07-2011, 11:06 PM
EMP from a nuclear blast is different from that caused by a CME. That being said, precautions are going to be different, and items that will be affected will also be different. Nuclear blast EMP would be the most devastating of the two. CME's happen often, but unless they are very strong 'X" class events, will not affect your life very much. The Carrington Event which was caused by an "X" class CME only affected long wire transmission lines, and that is pretty much the extent off what will happen. With todays warning systems for CME's , all you need do is unplug any device you wish to protect from an electrical outlet, A CME will not directly affect a motor vehicle, but because it can affect the power grid, will affect the ability to produce electricall power and distribute it.
Nuclear blast EMP will disrupt electrical components , so shielding is necessary for anything utilising descrete electronic components, this includes, but is not limited to automobiles, aircraft, phones, computer, radios, and electrical power distribution.

dragon5126
10-08-2011, 03:42 AM
I've got a substantial steel cabinet in the garage that is strapped fingered and heavily grounded, lined with insulating plastic shelving and have various spare items stored in it. The big problem comes not in the damage done by an EMP but by being the person with working hardware after an EMP. Suddenly friend will be come adversaries... While I'm not suggesting everyone will become whack jobs, all we have to do is pick up a news paper to see how unreasonable people are becoming while there still is mass transit and an electrical grid, food being delivered to grocery stores and working televisions to numb their minds. It really is frightening to think of what would happen if one of Jerry's storied did happen in the real world...