PDA

View Full Version : Foil Tape

The Stig
10-08-2011, 12:47 AM
So I'm in the attic doing some repairs to my furnace unit which included taping up the joints to minimize air loss.

As I'm working with the foil tape I got to wondering how many other uses that product might have.

For some odd reason it hit me that it could be some really handy stuff.

So......how many different ways can you think of to use foil tape?

http://www.swiftpackco.com/uploads/allimg/100825/Aluminum+Foil+Tape+1.jpg

mitunnelrat
10-08-2011, 12:50 AM
I've used it to brighten up the tail/ brake light on my motorcycle. I was amazed at the difference.

dragon5126
10-08-2011, 01:09 AM
OH YEAH! I have rolls of that stuff on hand and use it as well. semi permanent waterproofing tape for whatever is leaking. Ive used it on aluminum canoes and window frames. Patched bullet holes where they accidentally ended up in a shed while the bondo set... (No comment)... I've even used it for patching leaking plumbing and forgot that it needed to be repaired for three years... and the real funny part was using it to fit together rigid vent pipes for the clothes dryers, something it's actually made for, and that actually amazed the spouse.

Edit: forgot one... also used it to shield the inside of a plastic project box for a home brew antenna tuner, was a bit concerned on that one due to the intermittent continuity readings I was getting on the tape I used on that project but it worked beautifully. would have preferred copper but didnt have any available at the time.

bobthe
10-08-2011, 07:12 AM
sarcatically speaking, the only good that tape has ever been for me is cutting up my fingers while trying to get the edges of the tape to seal.

if you pick up a roll or two 'just in case' grab one of those plastic putty knife like things at home depot for .99$ they can be found with the drywall tapping supplies. there is a darn good reason why AC guys use such things for getting a good deal from the stuff.

dragon5126
10-14-2011, 06:55 AM
You get an AMEN on that one Bob!

izzyscout21
10-14-2011, 11:20 AM
I make hats out of it.:)

Sniper-T
10-14-2011, 02:17 PM
makes for a quick and easy exhaust repair for your car.

makes a nice shiny and semi-permanent range marker. (A couple areas that I hunt, I put a wrap around a couple fence posts... one at a hundred yards from where I like to sit, and one at 200)

I've got about 4 linear inches (paper still on) folded up inside each of my emergency kits. smaller and lighter than a signal mirror

One roll will cover a decent sized box for a solar oven