PDA

View Full Version : Water Filter Comparison: Katadyn Hiker vs Katydn Vario

The Stig
10-08-2011, 01:26 PM
I have two water filer products, the Hiker and the Vario, both from Katadyn.

The hiker is a straightforward filter with a plastic body, plastic handle/pump stem and weighing in at 11oz. It's a simple, basic unit. It promises one quart per minute pump speeds. It uses a pleated "paper" cartridge with activated charcoal to filter water.

To pump one pulls the handle out and then presses it back down ala a bicycle pump. Water is drawn in on the out-stroke and then expelled on the down.

While definitely not flimsy, the Hiker doesn't inspire confidence that it will resist breakage from sharp impacts or over-zealous pumping. I can see that pump stem snapping off if someone pumps aggressively.

Katadyn website pricing is $64.95

http://shop.katadyn.com/media/dimg/c064329fe19d62d7d29a0a96a925ffef.jpg?l=1

The Vario is the top of the back-country line of filters. Slightly heavier than the hiker at 15oz it offers double the filter speed at two quarts per minute. It also uses a pleated "paper" cartridge with activated charcoal to filter the water, but also has a ceramic pre-filter for particularly nasty water. The output is adjustable between "more water" and "more filter" so you can adjust given your water conditions which is a nice feature. While also a plastic unit the grade of materials is much higher. The body & handle appear to be a glass filled nylon while the hiker is a more rigid ABS type material.

To filter the water one moves the handle up and down ala an old fashion water pump. Because of the design water is expelled on both movements of the handle thus the faster pumping rate.

Katadyn website pricing is $89.95

http://shop.katadyn.com/media/dimg/6c40a7fb83e21afb94f975576aa8c061.jpg?l=1

While it will be no shock that the higher priced, better featured Vario will out perform the more basic Hiker unit, I wanted to do a series of tests both to compare the unit but also determine if the extra cost of the Vario translates into extra value.

izzyscout21
10-08-2011, 01:29 PM
let me know how it turns out. I've been looking into these tow models to add to the stocks.

The Stig
10-08-2011, 01:55 PM
The first test I've done is a measure of raw pumping output.

I filled one sink (the smaller one on right) with water and timed how long it took to empty it. Pretty straight forward.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/2011-10-08_06-42-16_767.jpg?t=1318077444

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/2011-10-08_07-07-00_536.jpg?t=1318077483

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/2011-10-08_07-20-45_374.jpg?t=1318077524

It will be no shock that the Vario pumped faster and emptied the sink more quickly given that its output is twice as large as the Hiker. The Vario did it in 9 minutes 40 seconds while the Hiker took an agonizing 18 minutes and 36 seconds. (Note: The Vario was sent on "faster water" setting which is appropriate given the condition of water being pumped.)

The penalty of the slower pump rate goes beyond time. I burned up a ton of energy to filter what was a relatively small amount of water. I work out, am in decent shape and do lots of cardo and my arms were on fire to the point I had to keep switching arms to keep the Hiker pumping. Hell, I had worked up a sweat! In a SHTF situation where you're already taxed, stressed, weakened and tired, that's a lot of energy to burn to do one task (albeit an important one). Based on the rate of pumping, and depending on your needs, you may have one person spending a significant amount of time filtering water to process enough water.

The Vario was far easier. For nearly 10 straight minutes I pumped without switching arms, positions or taking a short break. Because the Vario pumps with both motions of the handle (ie it pumps when moving the handle out and in) it was easy work with no sweating or displeasure.

The $25 extra for the Vario translates into more water pumped, but perhaps more importantly, less energy expended to do so.

The Hiker was also significantly nosier than the Vario. While you probably won't be filtering water behind enemy lines ala James Bond the noise is a consideration. Also a minor issue, but the configuration of the hoses on the Hiker meant they tended to get pinched more easily under use than with the Vario.

Overall, if you just needed a simple filter to do some light-duty work the Hiker would be fine. But if you are filtering water to supply an entire family or some other similar large quantity the extra cost of the Vario is well worth it.

The next test will be my observations of filtering dirty water.

Stg1swret
10-08-2011, 03:56 PM
A suggestion for the dirty water test, use some yard soil and cloud the water up. Don't let the sediment settle. this would simulate the area along a stream or creek bed edges.

The Stig
10-08-2011, 04:38 PM
A suggestion for the dirty water test, use some yard soil and cloud the water up. Don't let the sediment settle. this would simulate the area along a stream or creek bed edges.

That's exactly what I planned. Get a small tub of water, toss in some fine Mississippi red dirt (aka sand), shake it all up, then filter into a different clear container.

Stg1swret
10-08-2011, 04:44 PM
It will be interesting to see how the filter media holds up.

Kodiak
10-09-2011, 04:38 AM
Myself and Lunchbox have used the Hiker Pro for the past couple of years when we go camping, it works and we have not had any issues with it. But we're always looking to upgrade and find different items to use in the field, thanks for the comparison Stig, cant wait to see how the dirty water test goes.