PDA

View Full Version : Canning Bread?

Stormfeather
10-12-2011, 06:02 PM
I was thinking about trying out canning bread, and was doing some research into it, and come to find out, apparently its not a LTS type of food like I thought it was. Does anyone have any expertise here that they can throw in their .02 cents in? Im going off of this article I found in regards to canning bread. Any practical experience would greatly be appreciated!

http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/FN-FS_250_10.pdf

They say that canning bread basically doesnt kill off botulism, would love some input before I waste my time trying!

Thanks!
S/F2

bacpacker
10-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Stormy, the wife makes bread in a jar, one of her favorites. We've kept some of it and tried it up to 2 years with very good results.
We have not been doing it longer so can't give info any further out than that.

ak474u
10-13-2011, 02:31 AM
my brother cans cakes in jelly jars, they're tasty, and they seem to have an indefinite life, but they are a little like a toosie roll pop, no one knows how long they'll keep cause they can't resist eating them. I'll get the reipe if I can.

Stormfeather
10-13-2011, 04:12 AM
Thanks for the input folks! I was a bit squemish about the whole canning bread, but I think I will give it a try and see how it goes. Better to get Botulism now, than in the future when theres nobody around to treat it professionally I guess! (But damn, I hate being a guinea pig for myself!)
AK47U-I would love to get that recipe! As a matter of fact, you get me that recipe, and I will do a step by step breakdown for canning it and post it on here!
BacPacker- The same applies! Would love to try out other folks recipe since I dont have any of my own!

dragon5126
10-13-2011, 08:20 AM
Not to phoo phoo the idea, but it seems a bit counter productive in that it would take more room than the ingredients themselves do alone. Flour water and a leavening agent are your basic ingredients, sugar is generally used for the leavening of the bread (food for the yeast) so before it raises the ingredients take less than a quarter of the space. Getting it out of the container sounds like a pain as well...

izzyscout21
10-13-2011, 12:20 PM
I wnat to try some. I've never heard of canning bread, sounds pretty cool

mollypup
10-13-2011, 12:34 PM
I kind of agree with dragon5126. I would think by just keeping the ingredients in an airtight container (except the yeast), and then making the bread as you need it would be more efficient. I guess I'm real stingy with my mason jars and only want to use them for foods that are filling and nutritious. I've got plans to build a home-made solar oven and that's how I plan to make bread if the power goes out.....for a long time. :)

bacpacker
10-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Dragoon you are right. It does take up more space than the ingrediants do. We don't make it so much as a LTS as we do for a quick treat that stores well. The wife also gives them out as birthday and christmas gifts.

dragon5126
10-14-2011, 02:45 AM
Don't get me wrong, it's not that i wouldnt want to try it. I've cooked eggs in orange peels in a bed of coals, hard boiled eggs in a dixie cup cooked burgers in an onion layer, and so many different ways of cooking that this one sounds to good to not try.

bacpacker
10-14-2011, 02:55 AM
We use wide mouth pint jars. They get sprayed with non stick spray, ingredients mixed and dropped in the jar. The jars are put in the oven and baked. Once they are done pull them out and put the lid and ring on them. They seal up in just a few minutes.
I'll try to write up a receipe. Only problem is the wife don't have anything written down. Shes just tries stuff out of her head.It turns out.

dragon5126
10-14-2011, 03:05 AM
LOL in the head recipies are such a pain, both the wife and I have them, it's more intuition than recipie. Thats the way I cook Salmon and Chili...

sidewinder
10-27-2011, 03:53 PM
http://www.amazon.com/M%C2%AE-Brown-Bread-Raisin-oz/dp/B0000TA3QW

I have several cases of this stuff.

Tried in a local eatery really good.

I also found a bread mix that just needs water....

I'm making all my food preps that don't require eggs or milk.

Sniper-T
10-27-2011, 04:18 PM
http://www.amazon.com/M%C2%AE-Brown-Bread-Raisin-oz/dp/B0000TA3QW

I have several cases of this stuff.

Tried in a local eatery really good.

I also found a bread mix that just needs water....

I'm making all my food preps that don't require eggs or milk.

Have you tried making bread with powdered eggs and milk?

sidewinder
10-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Have you tried making bread with powdered eggs and milk?

What's easier than adding only water?

Stormfeather
10-28-2011, 04:49 AM
Well, this is more about the sweetbreads that get canned that im interested in. Im still hoping Mrs BacPacker comes up with a recipe for me to try!