PDA

View Full Version : Bugging in is not realistic.

faster
10-16-2011, 10:05 PM
towns and cities will have no water, so they will burn. Dogpacks will be everywhere and a very real threat. Rural buildings will all be shotup-searched, repeatedly,as the desperate "townies" (and your rural neighbors) look for food, gear, water, etc. you need not go far, but you need to get away from buildings, get near a year rd source of water, and get underground, with drums of stuff already stowed there, underground.

helomech
10-16-2011, 10:53 PM
I am bugging in, odds of someone finding my place is not very good. And unless there are huge numbers of attackers we will be fine.

WvBoy
10-17-2011, 12:16 AM
Situation will dictate my response.

I'm not happy where I am but it's what I have for now.

bacpacker
10-17-2011, 12:23 AM
I'm buggin in, unless the SHTF situation calls for buggin out. Chemical spill or Nuc accident would be the 2 major factors around here that would cause us to bug out. Not a lot else would do that. We don't have a good bug out location we own, most of our supplies are here, not a ton of reasons for us to leave.
Military invasion or goverment collaspe, not sure what we'd do, just depends on the situation.

Sparrow
10-17-2011, 01:06 AM
my BOL is very remote - one ... nobody would be able to access during winter snow, ... summer, block the 1 main road and people on foot will get eaten alive by the bugs :)

JustAPrepper
10-17-2011, 01:18 AM
Faster, maybe a better way of trying to get your point across would be trying to explain why Bugging In wouldn't work for You and Yours and letting the rest of us decide for ourselves, based on your experience, or your assumptions, as to whether it would work for us or not.

I'm pretty passive and there are a lot of conversations on these type of boards that I won't indulge in because I don't feel qualified but when met with such a strong opinion on a matter that Me and Mine have put a lot of thought in to, I respond in kind.

My situation is not your situation. My situation is "MY" situation and we have planned the best we can. Bugging In is our primary choice for a myriad of reasons. I could explain them one by one if you'd like just to give you a different perspective, something you didn't afford any of us when you made your assertion.

And just to prove a little of my point, we are not cats. We can't just take all our shit and bury it "underground" someplace as you suggested, nor can we build berms to hide it from anyone with any common sense. Our natural elevation is as flat as Kansas and digging just a few feet down we would hit the top water table. The only "hills" we have in our area are those from the landfill so building any kind of earthen berm would be a dead giveaway that something is hidden within.

So thanks for your insight, limited as it may be, but it doesn't work for us. We're Bugging IN.

rentprop1
10-17-2011, 05:17 AM
you have to work with what you've got, I'm in a town of only 8,000 but 2 major cities are an hour away, or 2 days away if you had to walk it

ravensgrove
10-17-2011, 06:55 AM
Ummmm, this is highly subjective. I am fairly certain, all the work we have put in for years, and daily....makes us safer bugging in for most scenarios...vs. taking off bat ass crazy into the unknown..where guess what according to you hoards of people will be wandering about. You can not live on the run forever.

"if we must die, then we will die in the land we were born in, defending our freedom"-Sitting Bull

Sniper-T
10-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Faster, maybe a better way of trying to get your point across would be trying to explain why Bugging In wouldn't work for You and Yours and letting the rest of us decide for ourselves, based on your experience, or your assumptions, as to whether it would work for us or not.

I'm pretty passive and there are a lot of conversations on these type of boards that I won't indulge in because I don't feel qualified but when met with such a strong opinion on a matter that Me and Mine have put a lot of thought in to, I respond in kind.

My situation is not your situation. My situation is "MY" situation and we have planned the best we can. Bugging In is our primary choice for a myriad of reasons. I could explain them one by one if you'd like just to give you a different perspective, something you didn't afford any of us when you made your assertion.

And just to prove a little of my point, we are not cats. We can't just take all our shit and bury it "underground" someplace as you suggested, nor can we build berms to hide it from anyone with any common sense. Our natural elevation is as flat as Kansas and digging just a few feet down we would hit the top water table. The only "hills" we have in our area are those from the landfill so building any kind of earthen berm would be a dead giveaway that something is hidden within.

So thanks for your insight, limited as it may be, but it doesn't work for us. We're Bugging IN.

well said...

and, DITTO!!

AquaHull
10-17-2011, 11:21 AM
I live in a place that city dwellers will flee to,if I go further "Up North" , I will run into the residents there, who in turn will have to flee into Canada, who then will have to flee into Hudson Bay, Sooner or later , someone needs to take a stand

The Stig
10-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Ummmm, this is highly subjective. I am fairly certain, all the work we have put in for years, and daily....makes us safer bugging in for most scenarios...vs. taking off bat ass crazy into the unknown..where guess what according to you hoards of people will be wandering about. You can not live on the run forever.

Couldn't agree more. The bugging out that people seem obsessed with entails leaving a support structure, supplies and relative shelter at the exact time you need the most support, supplies and shelter. Its often when news reports are most unreliable (i.e. you're making decisions based on the worst information possible) and likely doing it at the exact time everybody else is.

Unless absolutely forced out by circumstances, I'm not voluntarily putting my family into the least safe and least practical of all choices.

Lastly, those obsessed with "bugging out" are usually the ones obsessed with EOTWAWKI/Mad-Max type scenarios above all else.

TEOTWAWKI13
10-17-2011, 04:03 PM
towns and cities will have no water, so they will burn. Dogpacks will be everywhere and a very real threat. Rural buildings will all be shotup-searched, repeatedly,as the desperate "townies" (and your rural neighbors) look for food, gear, water, etc. you need not go far, but you need to get away from buildings, get near a year rd source of water, and get underground, with drums of stuff already stowed there, underground.

So, basically, your BOL is the batcave? By opting to Bug Out, and given your parameters, you don't give yourself much of a chance.

Stg1swret
10-17-2011, 04:33 PM
My situation is one that eliminates bugging out as a viable option until after the 'horde" has past. I'm less than 10 miles from the center of Philadelphia. The I-95 corridor and its associated traffic precludes bugging out unless I had days of warning that a major SHTF event was going to happen. Bugging in until the vermin pass is my only option. Most will be out of the area or dead within 3 days of such an incident and a breakdown of ROL(rule of law). I can stay and defend my position easily for a period of 60 days. Your mileage my vary depending on your circumstances.

mollypup
10-17-2011, 04:53 PM
Which directions the zombie hordes decide to go has been on my mind a LOT lately. I live about 40 miles outside a huge metropolis with many interstates leading into and out of the city and going in all directions. Will the zombies hordes march north? or will they go south where it's warmer? Will they mainly go east or west? How does a zombie decide which direction is best to go in? I think a lot of them will be trying to get to relatives houses and not just hitting the road without a destination in mind. But the inner-city gang dwellers........I think they will stay in the city for the most part because it's the only turf they really know. Some will venture out beyond the city limits but most will probably fight it out over the remaining loot. We have a LOT of people who are not legal residents of U.S. of A out where I live and they speak Spanish mostly. It's them that I worry the most about in regards to the wandering hordes.

I've decided to bug-in. It's the only way we could possibly survive this coming economic melt-down. Just lay low, board up the windows, bar the doors, keep the guns loaded and hope they all just pass by our house and neighborhood in their search for whatever it is they'll be looking for.

ravensgrove
10-17-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm actually obsessed with TEOTWAWKI....and that is why I work so hard to reskill and BUG IN. If its really TEOTWAWKI....you'll be much safer hunkered down, then wandering around as Stig pointed out looking for food, shelter, water et all.

Stormfeather
10-17-2011, 05:18 PM

Im curious if you even thought this statement out? While our mascot may be a ANT, it doesnt mean we bury ourselves in a anthill and call it a day!. My situation is this, I have a huge water source nearby, and if that one fails, I have the Mississippi river as my next water source. ( I dont foresee it drying up anytime soon) Im rural already, I have gravity fed local water, so no issues there. My rural neighbors are all pretty much either farmers or Amish, so I cant really see a whole horde of bearded Amish zombies chasing me down in that horse and buggy of theirs, but hey, you never know! As for underground, I think you may very well justify that if you have caves or caverns in your area, but since I dont, I think I will stay with my bug-in plan, its a full support structure already in place, and I dont have to expend precious energy digging it up.

hank2222
10-19-2011, 02:40 PM
My place in the southwestern mountains is design to be totaly off grid with no one really knowing it there inless you walk on top of it when i pop the hatch and come out to see what going on .

That why alot of the people in the area have home's bult into the side's of the mountains there or bult in such away you can tell it a house intill your right on top and it by then it too late for you if they want to hurt you ..

So bugging in might work for you but it going to work for me in the long run because of the way my place was design not to be see from the road system that runs by the area

realist
10-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Okay I vote for bugging in. I have spent years putting my place together so I am pretty much committed. I have a great group of neighbors that I can depend upon. We have water on site and grow some of our own food. We just have too much stuff to pick up and move on short notice. That said I do have a plan "B" and that will be to go to our property that is about 100 mile north. However this is long term since we do not have a cabin built yet.

I am in total agreement that everyone's situtation is different. What works for some does not work for others. We moved out of the city just to get away from the rat race. Having been through a bunch of gridlocks when I lived in the city I can not imagine having to get out with a total breakdown. If I were to run into that now I put everything I need on my back an hike out. That is not for me. Last week we took a short trip and it never ceases to amaze me at what we forget when we are not even under stress. Now fast forward when the SHTF and what will we do. I have my lists made just in case but I guess I'm getting old so I will just stay here for now.....

ladyhk13
10-21-2011, 06:57 AM
My place in the southwestern mountains is design to be totaly off grid with no one really knowing it there inless you walk on top of it when i pop the hatch and come out to see what going on .

That why alot of the people in the area have home's bult into the side's of the mountains there or bult in such away you can tell it a house intill your right on top and it by then it too late for you if they want to hurt you ..

So bugging in might work for you but it going to work for me in the long run because of the way my place was design not to be see from the road system that runs by the area

how do you handle the humidity inside your home?

Sparrow
10-21-2011, 11:35 PM
Will the zombies hordes march north? or will they go south where it's warmer? Will they mainly go east or west? How does a zombie decide which direction is best to go in?

I've decided to bug-in. It's the only way we could possibly survive this coming economic melt-down. Just lay low, board up the windows, bar the doors, keep the guns loaded and hope they all just pass by our house and neighborhood in their search for whatever it is they'll be looking for.

I have a zombie plan - it is to get to Grand Manan!!!

Hey that rhymes :)

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nbgrandm/grandmanan.jpg

sidewinder
10-25-2011, 12:00 PM
There won't be any armed check points full of bad guys set up in my front yard.

Putting your family in a vehicle on the open road with the possibility of such check points every 1/2 mile by hungry unprepared hordes...isn't an option for me. If I get killed it will be defending my BUG IN.

On the road you are offering up....your wife...your kids....you...your vehicle...your food stuffs and ......where will it go from that point on?

Just remember...hungry, sex starved, armed hordes....don't need you alive to carry on. They just need what you brought to the offering table....