PDA

View Full Version : How To Sharpen a Disposable Razor

JustAPrepper
10-19-2011, 12:40 AM
Ok, this is not really "gear" related but it's something most of us have in our Basic Supplies...razors.

I don't have a straight razor and if I did DH wouldn't let me within ten feet of his throat...errr, ummm...face.:p What we do have is lots of disposable razors, the kind with the replacement heads, not the totally throw away kind.

Here's an additional tip I've figured out...almost of all of them are interchangeable if you stay within the maker. Any blade from Gillette will fit any Gillette handle. Any blade from Schick will fit any Schick handle. This means a men's blade will fit a women's handle and vice-versa if they are made by the same maker...at least on all the ones I've tried.

If you purchase these kinds of razors you know how expensive they are. Last time I checked they were just under $30 for a six pack at our big box store. This is a HUGE money saver and why it's become one of my All Time Favorites. When I first found this video I went to Walmart and got a Denim Patch (what you would put over a worn out knee or elbow on your favorite pair of jeans or shirt) and put it in the shower area on a shelf. Normally, I would get just shy of a month on a Venus blade, shaving almost every day. I was able to get ELEVEN MONTHS out of one single blade. The only reason I changed was because I could tell the blade had given up about all it was going to give and it was just starting summer so I thought, what the hell...get a new blade. AND, DH got about TEN months out of his, for his face, with no razor burn or knicks.

I wait about a month, just when the blade starts to feel dull then I place the patch against the wall and run it across about ten times. As the months go on, I need to run it across more. By the time I pitched my last blade, after almost a year, I was running about thirty strokes. Same for DH's blade.

I realize that shaving may be a luxury in a SHTF situation but right now, this is saving me money. Money that goes to preps. And there's nothing wrong with a little "luxury" in hard times. And making things last will be important, no matter what it is.

Sharpening Disposable Razor - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Kxiom83Js)

izzyscout21
10-19-2011, 01:10 PM
coooool

Sniper-T
10-19-2011, 01:36 PM
... DH wouldn't let me within ten feet of his throat...errr, ummm...face.:p...

bwahahahaa

seriously, great tip! I basically have wires growing from my face, a razor will last maybe 2-3 shaves at best. definately worth trying!

tx

bacpacker
10-19-2011, 05:01 PM
I just grew a beard. LOL

mollypup
10-19-2011, 11:26 PM
Well, I'm just gonna totally give up shaving if TSHTF. I rarely shave now lol! I'm serious though, if times get real rough, I plan on dressing like a man and dressing my girls as boys. Hopefully we, (especially the girls) won't be as tempting a target for sexual attacks when we're in a world that's wrol.

izzyscout21
10-20-2011, 12:58 AM
Well, I'm just gonna totally give up shaving if TSHTF. I rarely shave now lol! I'm serious though, if times get real rough, I plan on dressing like a man and dressing my girls as boys. Hopefully we, (especially the girls) won't be as tempting a target for sexual attacks when we're in a world that's wrol.

That actually sounds like a good plan, molly. Something I'm goign to have to propose to my wife.

Stormfeather
10-20-2011, 04:48 AM
Wow, definitely going to try this. . .Im imagining the money I can save now!

Stormfeather
10-20-2011, 04:50 AM

Ugh. . .gotta landscape a little bit. . .I mean, cmon now. . .:rolleyes: Im just givin ya grief Molly! I fully agree with you about being the target though, anything you can do to stack the odds in your favor is smart money!

mollypup
10-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Ugh. . .gotta landscape a little bit. . .I mean, cmon now. . .:rolleyes: Im just givin ya grief Molly! I fully agree with you about being the target though, anything you can do to stack the odds in your favor is smart money!

A lot of people's "landscape" is going to radically change after a major SHTF event. The amount of hair will most likely not even be thought about as most people will be thinking in terms of basic survival. I think it's kind of funny how we try to hold onto modern conveniences and paradigms like women shaving lol! Just getting a bath once or twice a month might be considered a luxury, much less shaving.

And I've already bought my girls their "boy clothes" from the thrift store. And I plan on cutting their hair short to make them look as much like boys as possible. Mine too. And besides, short hair will be much easier to keep clean. :)

Sniper-T
10-20-2011, 02:37 PM
A lot of people's "landscape" is going to radically change after a major SHTF event. :)

WTF???

do you mean to infer that there will be no more Brazillians or Hollywoods???

That's not the TEOTWAWKI that I signed up for! :(

harrummphhhh!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t199/DMusicJr/hairy-woman.jpg

:)
lol

Stormfeather
10-20-2011, 02:44 PM
A lot of people's "landscape" is going to radically change after a major SHTF event. The amount of hair will most likely not even be thought about as most people will be thinking in terms of basic survival. I think it's kind of funny how we try to hold onto modern conveniences and paradigms like women shaving lol! Just getting a bath once or twice a month might be considered a luxury, much less shaving.

And I've already bought my girls their "boy clothes" from the thrift store. And I plan on cutting their hair short to make them look as much like boys as possible. Mine too. And besides, short hair will be much easier to keep clean. :)

I agree with you once again. Lets just hope that for the sake of saying it, that it doesnt get as bad as you are planning for. Short hair is much easier to maintain and is less of a pain in the ass to manage in a field situation any day of the week! I guess thats why the military makes us keep it short!

mollypup
10-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Sniper-T!

OMG!!! That is SO funny!!! OH!!! (wiping tears from my eyes!) Thanks! I needed that! :D

Stormfeather
10-20-2011, 02:58 PM
WTF???
do you mean to infer that there will be no more Brazillians or Hollywoods???
That's not the TEOTWAWKI that I signed up for! :(
harrummphhhh!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t199/DMusicJr/hairy-woman.jpg

:)
lol

HAHAH! Will the real Mollypup please stand up?!?!?! LOL!!!

mollypup
10-20-2011, 03:00 PM
HAHAH! Will the real Mollypup please stand up?!?!?! LOL!!!

If only I had that little hair! It takes me all morning just to get the tangles out! :D

Stormfeather
10-20-2011, 03:03 PM
well, . . .um. . . I got nothin. . . .i am for once. . speechless. :confused:

Sniper-T
10-20-2011, 03:18 PM
HAH!!! I just found Mollypup's BOL!!!

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr183/worstphotographer/015-1.jpg

Sniper-T
10-20-2011, 03:31 PM
If only I had that little hair! It takes me all morning just to get the tangles out! :D

pre-detangling???

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z166/jllathrop/020.jpg

mollypup
10-20-2011, 03:35 PM
Please people!!!! You are totally blowing my opsec!!!!

izzyscout21
10-20-2011, 09:17 PM
pre-detangling???

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z166/jllathrop/020.jpg

rotflmao...............that's funny/ scary..........