PDA

View Full Version : Pressure cooking?

helomech
10-20-2011, 05:14 PM
When pressure cooking deer do you use the same cook times as beef, or do you have a source for cooking/canning wild game?

Thanks

Grumpy Old Man
10-20-2011, 11:26 PM
I use the same times for canning beef for deer, elk, bison. But I use pork times for feral hogs. I guessed that was what you are asking. If you are simply pressure cooking use the recommended meat times. My old Better Homes and Gardens and Betty Crocker cook books have sections on pressure cooking meals. Typically 15-25 minutes, depending on size of the cut, after you reach pressure (~13 psi for me at my elevation). I tend to use my small 8 qt pressure cooker for cuts that are not as tender as my old choppers like.

helomech
10-21-2011, 01:24 AM
Thanks yes that was what I was asking. I was wondering because they are more lean than the store bought counterparts.

Sniper-T
10-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Interesting. Never having pressure cooked/canned... this is all new to me.

Are you saying that you can take a couple few pound roast, and cook it in 15-25 minutes? And it is tender? How well do the flavours infuse?

Can you use a pressure cooker to can? A pressure canner to cook?

realist
10-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Sniper T yes you can do just that. It is amazing what you can do with those things.

I'm not getting off on a tangent...... When we went into Afganistan they talked about IEDs made out of pressure cookers, they were everywhere. I got to thinking about that. It made sense for them to be used in locations were there is little fuel. Since you only use a small amount of liquid it does not take long to come up to pressue. You will find that for cheap cuts of meat they will be much more tender than any other way to cook meat. The big problem with a pressure cooker is that they can be heavy however if I am using a BOV it is a none issue. They make them in aluminum so that takes off some of the weight. I highly recommend that anyone who has not used one to consider it. Start small then go up. You do not have to buy one of those huge canners. Go to wally world or sears and they should have a nice small one for smaller meals. Enjoy.

Sniper-T
10-21-2011, 04:12 PM
So then... what is the difference between a canner and a cooker??

are they interchangeable?

helomech
10-21-2011, 05:40 PM
So then... what is the difference between a canner and a cooker??

are they interchangeable?

You can use a canner to cook, but you can't use a cooker to can. The difference is that the canner has a shelf inside so the jars do not sit directly on the bottom of the pot. If they sit directly on the bottom they will break. Other than that a canner and a cooker are the same.

Sniper-T
10-21-2011, 05:50 PM
But that's the same as water-bath canning. I have a wire 'screen' that I drop into any big pot, and it creates space between the bottom and the jars. That would work too, no?

helomech
10-21-2011, 05:53 PM
But that's the same as water-bath canning. I have a wire 'screen' that I drop into any big pot, and it creates space between the bottom and the jars. That would work too, no?

Maybe, it is just easier to buy a canner, and take out the insert when you want to cook. I have both a canner and a cooker. My pressure cooker rarely ever gets used.

Sniper-T
10-21-2011, 05:57 PM
reason I'm asking is I'd be looking at buying 2 appliances. something small (It is just the wife and I), but something big to can some meat/fish

but if we have an impromptu group for dinner (it happens) it would be nice to pull out the big one to whip something up fast.

And the little one would be more convenient if I was just going to can some leftovers into pints or 1/2 pints

helomech
10-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Another thing to watch for, is that the cookers (at least mine) does not have an adjustable pressure release. It is set at 15 psi and it can't be changed. The pressure canners can be adjusted, mine from 5 to 15 psi.

realist
10-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Helomech I am just getting into canning so I am learning. So there should not be a problem with my cooker to be used as a canner? I have used it a bunch to cook but this winter we are looking at putting up a bunch of stuff. i have a couple of old pressure cookers that my mom used to use but they are old and I want to replace them. We are looking at one of the large ones with the pressure gauges for our next purchase. Do you know if cooking in them will affect the gauges, since canned only uses water?

helomech
10-23-2011, 03:16 AM
Never used the ones with the gauge, but as long as you keep the liquid below the 2/3 full line you should be fine.