PDA

View Full Version : The Art of Humping

Sniper-T
10-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Packs... you sickos. Geez, keep it family friendly!
;)

The Art of Humping a Pack, by Blake
Walking with a loaded pack on your back is what the United States Marine Corps Infantryman refers to as "humping". And while it may not take a lot of brains to put a loaded pack on and walk, it has definitely become an art, science, or skill that is constantly honed by infantrymen of all types.

With eight years as a Marine Corps Infantryman I have learned quite a lot about the art of humping myself. There are several factors that come into play before you strap on your pack and take your first step.

1.PHYSICAL FITNESS: What is your current level of physical fitness? For those of you who have thought about or have a plan for when the SHTF, you know that this is an important factor of yours and your family’s survival. If throwing on your BOB and heading for the door with fifty lbs. of survival gear on your back is the first step of your plan, then your not going to get very far if you haven’t conditioned your body to take this kind of physical exertion. The best type of physical conditioning for humping is humping. You don’t have to be a long distance runner to be a good humper. The best thing to do is to just strap on your pack and step off for a mile or three and then gradually increase the distance each time you go out, or at a reasonable rate (add a mile a week). Every time you increase your distance you should also increase the weight of your pack. I don’t recommend starting out with a fifty pound pack. As with any kind of body conditioning you should start out light and work your way up as your body becomes used to your training.

2.PACKING: Got a good pack? If you don’t you better get one. If the pack you have isn’t a good one you’ll find out once you start humping with it. I won’t recommend much gear, because all personal gear is just that, personal. Its your preference. I will say this, you can’t go wrong with an ALICE pack. Are there better packs out there? Yes, but when it comes to affordability including durability…it’s a proven product. In the end it all comes down to what you prefer. Packing is a separate art in itself. The first rule in packing is “Ounces make pounds!”. Nothing goes into the pack that you don’t absolutely need or can’t live without. You should consider the weight and size of everything as you pack. One of the most important packing aids that I’ve found through the years is one gallon zip-lock bags (buy the good ones they’ll last longer). Use these to pack things separately inside your pack. Stuff them full and then zip up the bag almost to the end, then (if packed with non-breakables) smash the bag to get all the air inside the bag out. Then zip the bag up the rest of the way. This will help keep you from wasting space inside your pack. I would recommend packing breakable items in outside compartments, or packed in between zip-locks of underwear and T-shirts or something soft. Zip-locs also help waterproof your gear inside your pack. Using a waterproof bag or a trash bag as a liner will also work but this will give you added protection. Zip-locs also help keep your pack organized. These can also be used as a washing machine as I found out in Iraq. Stuff everything into your pack as tight as it will go, then cinch down the outer straps as tight as you can get them. Second rule in packing is “A tight pack is a comfortable pack!” If your adding or strapping items to the outside of the pack make sure they are secure.

When theses outer items shift our flop around they will cause you to sway and possibly fall if they are heavy enough. Just the movement alone can cause you discomfort. I would also recommend not strapping things to the top of your pack (sleeping bags, etc.) unless they are small. These will push on the back of your head and cause unneeded neck pains, and you will have plenty of pains to worry about already. These may also hinder your vision. Strap them to the bottom of your pack if possible. I would recommend food or energy bars and often used items to be in outside compartments. This makes for easy access on short halts and maintains spillages to separate compartments. Field strip your MREs down to the individual packages, get rid of the cardboard containers. You can over-pack a few pounds on food. Because you will be eating the food and essentially lightening your pack at the same time. And your route to wherever your going may be unexpectedly altered, and you may be on the hump longer than you anticipated. And the third rule of packing, “If you can't put it on by yourself, It’s probably too heavy!”

3.GEAR POSITION: When you put your pack on make sure it’s adjusted to the center of your back. Make sure all of the straps are secured to the pack frame properly and that they are tight around your body. You may have to alter positioning of your personal gear that you are carrying on your body (canteens, ammo pouches, butt packs, etc.). I recommend that your gear be positioned so the back pad of your pack frame sit squarely in the small of your back, adjust your pack straps accordingly. Improper ride of the pack will cause extra back pain, and shoulder pain as the straps will be digging into your shoulders. And setting the pack on top of your pouches may cause damage to them that you may not be able to repair. I recommend your weapon go on last. Be sure you are able to deploy your weapon as needed and get to spare ammo without the pack getting in the way. And if you have to dump your pack, then make sure you can do so without it getting caught in your high speed sling and choking you. You should know in the first mile whether you need to adjust your gear and pack.

4.BOOTS & FEET: An Infantryman or “Grunt” can probably tell you as much about foot care as a foot doctor, as these are generally their primary mode of transportation. As before, I can’t and won’t recommend a boot. Its personal preference. However, please consider your local weather and terrain in selecting the proper boot. Boots weigh a lot and take up a lot of space. You can pack a spare set, but you may not have the room. The best way to break in a new boot is to hump in it.

(Don’t forget to pack extra laces.) The only recommendation I’ll make is don’t skimp when it comes to buying boots. They should be considered one of your most valuable survival tools. Because having feet means you can still survive. Pack plenty of socks, cotton or wool. When humping, if you will wear a pair of dress socks under a pair of cotton or wool boot socks this will help prevent blisters. Although you may still get them. Only extensive humping and conditioning of the feet will prevent blisters. They also make humping socks made out of Teflon that work good. From my experience moleskin doesn’t work well if you are going to continue humping. It just pulls the blister off.

Ouch! The best cure for blisters is Tincture of Benzoin Be ready for some pain. It feels like someone is putting a blowtorch to your feet for about ten minutes. But after that you will only experience minor pain or no pain at all from the blister. You can put it on an open blister or draw the puss from the blister with a syringe then insert the tetra-benzoine into the blister with the syringe. I’ve had it both ways. I prefer the syringe method because it leaves the skin on over the blister. This method once cured me of two half dollar-sized blisters, one on each heel.

After only a ten miler in broke in boots. I felt no pain within fifteen minutes, remained in the field the whole week and we speed-humped out that Friday and I got no blisters. It works. But it will make a grown man cry. Or want to. Don’t forget foot powder and anti-fungal powder or cream. Change socks daily, or soon after your feet get wet. Also when humping don’t take your boots off until the end of the day, or unless changing socks.

When you stop for a break take off your pack but try not to sit down. This makes your feet hurt when you stand back up and start walking again. Let your feet air out in the open every chance you get.

5.HYDRATION: Water is good for you anyway, but you will need a lot if you are humping. You may have to plan your route around watering spots. Try and hump as much water as possible. Don’t forget to consider the weight though. Get a camelback or similar hydration system. These work great while humping since you don’t have to mess with screw caps or bottle tops. If you can wear the hydration system under your pack it’s beneficial in case you have to drop your pack you don’t loose your water. Always keep some kind of water on your body with your personal gear. I recommend filling the hydration bladder on each stop to prevent running out between scheduled stops.

Some type of sports drinks or powder are good to have on hand as you will loose a lot of electrolytes while humping and these are good sources for replenishing those and will do so faster than plain water.

Now I know that a lot of this information may not apply to everyone since a lot of you will only be moving so far to a retreat or cache. And you will all be moving at your own pace, or as fast as the slowest person in your group. A lot of you may not even be going anywhere. But if a time comes when you have to "Ruck Up” then this may come in handy.

Sniper-T
10-21-2011, 05:06 PM
I did a swamp Donkey adventure a couple weeks ago (trek/canoe/bike) that kicked my Azz! I don't profess to be in the greatest shape... but 20# pack up and down the rock ridges, through the bush is one thing while hunting... but in a race? totally different story.

I made up my mind then and there to increase my level of fitness.

izzyscout21
10-21-2011, 05:14 PM
um....art of humping..........donkey adventure............I need to go get my mind right before I can contribute to this thread!!:o

Sniper-T
10-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Maybe this'll help...

Swamp Donkey Adventure Racing (http://swampdonkeyar.com/display.php?nID=1&sSID=28b27d5ac218a485ba57851572610452)

izzyscout21
10-21-2011, 05:19 PM
much better. "I see" said the blind man.

izzyscout21
10-21-2011, 05:20 PM
SNiper, thanks for posting this up. As a former grunt, I can say that this info is very valuable to those who have never used their foot Humvees a lot.

Sniper-T
10-21-2011, 05:25 PM
No problemo! :)

here's another little article that helps reinforce the previous:

Walk!, by Snolden

If you value your existence and your life, then walk! I am an Air Force brat who did nine years active duty in the Navy. In other words I moved a lot. Eleven states in the first 33 years of my life. I traveled to all fifty states and a few countries. Every one is different, and areas within each are completely different from the part that you live in. Most people that lived in places I have been do not walk any further than a few hundred yards a day. A mile is a "long walk" for most folks. A good portion of the rest walk or run several miles as a work out, but that is with 6 ounce sneakers, shorts and an iPod as their only loadout.

Post SHTF or even during a week without power, you will be subjected to environmental conditions that your body cannot adapt to unless you have experienced it before. The environment that you find yourself in can affect your decision making. Cold, hot, humid or other; these conditions will prevent you from living. You will have to carry a lot of things a long way to make do, even if vehicles are working. You must condition yourself to this level of exertion.

So, go for a walk. Please use common sense and know your limitations. For those with physical limitations, you will have to toughen your mind more than those of us without. The demands on the body are going to be extreme for some even when all parts of it work correctly. I would like to challenge all of you to "honestly" walk 10 miles carrying a light bag. By "honestly" I mean in the clothes that you will be wearing post-SHTF. This will probably be some form of boots, belted pants, long sleeve shirt and jacket. If you can't do this right off, then work up to it but nearly everyone will be able to do it. Ten miles should take 3-5 hours at the most depending your individual condition. Then do this again next month, in a different locale [, over different terrain]. I recommend a 5-7 minute break every 45 minutes as the optimum. [Depending on the weather and personal preference,] breaks of 10 minutes/hour or 5 minutes/30 minutes might work better.

For example, walk 10 miles around your city this month. Next month go to a trail in the woods. Walk. Anyone that has been in the Army or Marines will laugh at this distance. Many people in the Third World walk this far every day just to go to work or school. Then they turn around and walk that far back home. A pace of up to 12 minutes per mile is a good goal if you are in good shape. When backpacking I shoot for 15-20 minutes per mile including time spent for breaks. That works out to a little less than three hours for 10 miles. That is a very comfortable pace I can keep up for days.

The point of this exercise is to learn the techniques that you will need to walk. Everyone can walk, right? Nope, they can't. Most people don't understand about layered multiple pairs of socks, proper lacing of boots, proper waist belt adjustment on a pack and the other items that you only learn by walking (proper is different for each person and can change between the start of the hike to the end of the hike). For the average person with 10 pounds of belly fat, I would start with a 20 pound pack. That is only one gallon of water, a change of clothes, a lunch and a few emergency items plus the weight of the pack itself. You can start lighter or heavier, this is your challenge. Bring extra socks, moleskin, an ace ankle wrap and Band-Aids the first few times [or whenever you switch to a new set of footwear]. You might need them before you make it back.

Please only walk one day a week, to begin your training regimen. You will get serious blisters if you are not used to it and try to walk 3 or 4 days in a row. Just in that first walk you will learn what you like and don't like about your shoes. For instance, you may find that you need to wear different underwear, an undershirt, and perhaps a different hat. You will realize that it isn't that hard and it will encourage you to go further. Once you build up calluses [, stamina] and find your individual pace, then you can go all day. Now you can get through the long walks that are inevitable when SHTF and your body will remember. This conditioning will free up your brain to focus on decision making-- unimpared decision making. Weather extremes can still get you but you have a baseline experience level. I recommend that you walk year round to learn how the weather affects you (But I realize this is unlikely, especially in extreme cold and heat for many people.)

General guidance for a maximum backpack weight is 1/3 of your body weight for medium distance hikes. 1/4 of your weight (1/4 of 200 pounds is 50 pounds, in my case) is far more comfortable. This may seem like a lot but with the right boots/socks and pack it actually is easy. And since you are already walking 10 miles straight now, you will quickly find out what qualities to look for in your gear. Some things can be fixed for free. For example, I don't lace the top holes in my boots. This lets my feet breathe a bit more. I have learned how to load"my pack for maximum comfort.

Okay, now for the good news. Once you can do this for a few days straight with about 20-30 pounds on your back, you don't have to do it all the time to maintain the conditioning. I find that a 5-6 mile walk once every week or two with a 15 pound pack and "first line gear" maintains my long distance conditioning for months.

Long distance walking does not replace aerobic conditioning, it simply allow yours feet to get used to the abuse. You still need to aerobically condition your body for maximum cardiovascular health. In parting, I was amazed at the amount of heat produced by my feet the first time I walked ten miles on a hot day in boots.

TEOTWAWKI13
10-25-2011, 09:29 PM
I went to the gym last week.....for the first time in a year or two, because a.) I'm a lazy ass b.) I have a busy schedule c.) I'm a lazy ass or d.) All of the above.

I'll go with d.) All of the above

So my goal is to get my big butt from 275 down to 250 by Christmas, and yes I can and will lose weight through the holidays. Then to 205 by next summer. I plan on hitting some hiking trails this fall in an effort to do so, along with my gym routine, and maybe get back into my muay thai training. SHTF, I'll be hurting right now.

bacpacker
10-26-2011, 12:24 AM
Sniper you have put out some great info. I've never been in the military so have no experience from that standpoint. However I have been backpacking since I was 10. Your writing on footwear is dead on. Good boots that are broken in are critical. That and good socks. Keeping your feet dry is very important as well. Sweat, as well as, water will soften your feet and cause blisters very quickly. I try and carry 2 pair of sets of socks, liners and heavier outersocks. 1 drying, 1 on.
Packing your pack to fit your body and the terrian you are walking on will make your carry much easier. Starting light and working up will also help your muscles become accustom to the weight and help you learn to balance the load as you walk.
The idea of carrying water in a bladder near your body is another great idea. Water is heavy and by keeping it close to your body will help maintain your center of gravity.
Keep it up Sniper, some good stuff here.

Twitchy
11-25-2011, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the article! I currently have a pair of hiking shoes (not boots) that have the inner sole curved to the natural way your foot is... I walk home everyday with a 15# backpack about 2 miles... wearing regular sneakers and these, there is a noticeably higher level of comfort in the new shoes...

The Stig
11-25-2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the article! I currently have a pair of hiking shoes (not boots) that have the inner sole curved to the natural way your foot is... I walk home everyday with a 15# backpack about 2 miles... wearing regular sneakers and these, there is a noticeably higher level of comfort in the new shoes...

I learned the lesson of proper footwear this past summer. Damn that hurt and I'll never make that mistake again. As you say, correct footwear is sooooooooo much more comfortable.

Sniper-T
11-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Just spent a week+ on holidays in Newfoundland... did a pile of hiking all over the rock. I am so happy that I took my good shoes along. There are some amazing trails, to see some stuinning scenery. Without quality footwear... we couldn't have gotten in to a lot of places

Twitchy
11-25-2011, 10:54 PM
I learned the lesson of proper footwear this past summer. Damn that hurt and I'll never make that mistake again. As you say, correct footwear is sooooooooo much more comfortable.

I do remember reading of that journey. I think... :p

Stormfeather
12-20-2011, 11:47 PM
One of the things they dont talk about when humping, is the mental daze you can slip into and not even realize it when going longer distances. (20+ miles) As a former Marine and now current Army, Ive done MORE than my fair share of humping, and can tell you two things will be a definite. . . . (1) You will fall into the mental daze after youve humped 15 or more miles carrying 75+ pounds of weight, (2) you will be surprised how far you can push your body, you will never know until you try.

madpiper
04-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Something that needs to be addressed - Athlete's foot. If you don't have it you'll get it. Forget all the expensive creams and stuff and use the natural method (experience says it's the quickest cure also). If you don't know what the natural cure is ask some former Grunts - they'll tell you and swear by it - so will you if you have the need and try it.

Twitchy
04-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Something that needs to be addressed - Athlete's foot. If you don't have it you'll get it. Forget all the expensive creams and stuff and use the natural method (experience says it's the quickest cure also). If you don't know what the natural cure is ask some former Grunts - they'll tell you and swear by it - so will you if you have the need and try it.

Dieing of anticipation, what is the natural remedy... unless i already know it... I wont be the one to mention it and be wrong though :rolleyes:

Taz Baby
04-11-2012, 12:24 AM
Pee on it

IDTANDY
04-11-2012, 01:22 AM
Pee on it

True,it's the Urea.

Sniper-T
04-11-2012, 01:23 AM
^
yep!

or if you're dehydrated too. gasoline, kerosine, alcohol, etc. all work. Not necessarily the 'best' thing. but in a pinch... they work!!!

I keep a small bottle of everclear around (huge resistance to drink), just for things like this, and coldsores.

POW, they're gone!!!

Twitchy
04-11-2012, 01:24 AM
Sigh... I figured it was that but i wasnt about to be the weird one... :p

IDTANDY
04-11-2012, 01:29 AM
Sigh... I figured it was that but i wasnt about to be the weird one... :p

This is weird..
HPS Urine Therapy UT Programs (http://www.hps-online.com/hurine1.htm)

Other natural treatments.
Garlic
Well known for being one of, if not the most effective herbal remedy in curing fungal infections, garlic
will most likely be number one in any form of research you may do to aid in your battle with this type of
infection. Garlic has been scientifically proven as one of the top choice herbs for athlete’s foot. It
does an excellent job in the immediate relief of symptoms caused by athlete’s foot. Simply take a small
tub, large enough to soak the feet completely, add a fairly decent amount of crushed garlic cloves and
add in a touch of rubbing alcohol. While the aroma may not be ideal for hosting company, it will work
wonders to ease the itching and burning.

Licorice
25 fungicidal compounds making it a powerful natural herb for athlete’s foot. It can be used to prepare
a strong beverage using five to seven teaspoons of the dried herb added to one cup of water. Bring the
mixture to a boil and allow to steep for 20 minutes. When it is cool plainly apply it to the affected
areas with cotton balls or a clean cloth.

Tea Tree Oil
Herbal remedies for athlete’s foot have long included tea tree oil. Studies have shown it to be
effective for reducing symptoms and bringing relief while studies have just begun which show that
actively using tea tree oil for 4 days should begin to bring upon the healing, while after 10 or so days
the athlete’s foot infection should have a quite notable, almost healed condition.

Lemon Grass
Lemon grass is a powerful herbal remedy for athlete’s foot due to its anti-fungal agents which help
prevent infections. The oil from lemon grass can provide healing in two forms. It can be taken internally
as a tea, followed by using the teabags as a compress to be directly applied to the area of the foot that
is infected.

Ginger
There are several known herbs that provide antifungal compounds. In a list of over twenty, ginger ranks
Among the top five to almost all herbal specialists. The most powerful method to use ginger to bring
relief to those suffering from athlete’s foot is by taking one ounce of chopped ginger root and adding it
to one cup of boiling water. Use a clean cloth to absorb the concoction and apply to the foot. The warmth
will provide soothing to the foot whilst being absorbed by the infected area.

Twitchy
04-11-2012, 01:35 AM
This is weird..
HPS Urine Therapy UT Programs (http://www.hps-online.com/hurine1.htm)

I'm more concerned at how you even FOUND that.... LOL!!

Sniper-T
04-11-2012, 01:56 AM
^
lol

IDTANDY
04-11-2012, 01:58 AM
I'm more concerned at how you even FOUND that.... LOL!!

:eek:

cwconnertx
06-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Sunlight is a powerful anti-fungal and it doesn't smell like urine.

But if you get jock itch.... don't get a sunburn...

ElevenBravo
02-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Just FYI, its a combat arms thing.... The jarheads are not the only ones to call it humping, grunts call it affectionately the same...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP_myVFo5WY

ElevenBravo
02-11-2013, 10:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-zuBHKHftk

ElevenBravo
02-11-2013, 10:35 PM
You will fall into the mental daze
Droning.... sux. Been there, done that... dont wanna do it again.

Droning at night... sux even worse. The guy in front stops and you dont.... even.... realize it.

EB