PDA

View Full Version : Blue Plastic Tubs: A Preppers Friend

The Stig
02-21-2011, 05:46 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4140/4934524389_1c31f8e168.jpg

I am in the process of moving my family across the country. I've been living out of a hotel for the past 3+ weeks and have found these plastic tubs to be a life saver. For example, I've got one filled with all the equipment I haul for my mobile office (printer, cords, paper, staplers, etc). I just toss it on one of the hotel carts with my suitcase and overnight bags and off I go.

I've also been using these more and more at the house over the past year or so. Our big prep supply shelf has a bunch of these with food supplies, bottled water, cooking equipment, etc.

They make organization a snap and are a lot easier to haul around (and do so in a hurry) if need be .

It's nothing sexy or fancy but the use of these tubs (along with Rubbermaid ActionStackers for the heavier/more important items) has helped us keep our preps organized and ready to go.

RedJohn
02-21-2011, 05:54 PM
I leave alone and never invite anybody in, so sexy is not my major concern. I only use that type of container to store anything in my apartment.

I also have a couple of smaller one water proof where I keep precious papers and photos.

Jerry D Young
02-22-2011, 12:44 AM
I primarily use the Rubbermaid Actionpackers 8 & 24 gallon totes for my gear. Found them to be very useful. The only problem with them is they don't interlock when stacked. But if limited to about four high, they do okay.

Kodiak
02-22-2011, 01:47 PM
I also use various plastic and Rubbermaid tubs to store supplies in. Though recently i have been switching over to military surplus deployment bags just in case i need to grab a few and hit the road in a hurry. Figured they would be easier to carry with the shoulder straps than trying to carry out the tubs 1 or 2 at a time.

Kodiak

The Stig
02-22-2011, 01:50 PM
I also use various plastic and Rubbermaid tubs to store supplies in. Though recently i have been switching over to military surplus deployment bags just in case i need to grab a few and hit the road in a hurry. Figured they would be easier to carry with the shoulder straps than trying to carry out the tubs 1 or 2 at a time.

Kodiak

Do you mean something like this?

http://www.military-issue.com/images/uploads/DuffelBag.gif

RedJohn
02-22-2011, 01:52 PM
When I was a Navy boy, all what I owned had to fit in one like that.

Kodiak
02-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Do you mean something like this?

http://www.military-issue.com/images/uploads/DuffelBag.gif

No, i bought a few jumbo deployment bags from http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/jumbo-deployment-bag.aspx?a=288286. I also got a few similar bags that were British army surplus, they are a little bigger. Unfortunately i could not find them again when i looked. The bags are good quality as far as i can tell, i have not had any issues with them. They are not as big as i had hoped, but still not bad.

I still use the tubs for storage, but i placed a some food, hygiene, clothing and medical supplies in these bags for quick grab and go situations.

bacpacker
04-17-2011, 02:15 AM
I'm in the process of transitioning my stuff to totes, much easier to deal with and keep up with. While shopping for a few more last night I ran across a large rolling tool box, maybe 24wx30lx24h. Something like that. I picked it up, after seeing it and giving it some thought while wondering around and lookin at stuff, I got to thinkin that it would make a nice set up to grab and go for a quick bug out. With the wheels just roll it up into the truck, grab the BOB's, water jugs and I'm gone.

My thoughts on the box, pack it with food, spices, cook gear, backpacking stove, and fuel. If I've calculated right I should be able to put a month's worth of stuff in it.
Thoughts anyone?

The Stig
04-17-2011, 02:26 AM
I'm in the process of transitioning my stuff to totes, much easier to deal with and keep up with. While shopping for a few more last night I ran across a large rolling tool box, maybe 24wx30lx24h. Something like that. I picked it up, after seeing it and giving it some thought while wondering around and lookin at stuff, I got to thinkin that it would make a nice set up to grab and go for a quick bug out. With the wheels just roll it up into the truck, grab the BOB's, water jugs and I'm gone.

My thoughts on the box, pack it with food, spices, cook gear, backpacking stove, and fuel. If I've calculated right I should be able to put a month's worth of stuff in it.
Thoughts anyone?

I think I've seen the same box you are describing and thought the same exact thing. As long as you don't horribly overload it I think it'd be pretty slick.

I'd be curious about how robust the wheels really were, however.

bacpacker
04-17-2011, 03:08 AM
Actually I think the wheels will be OK as long as it's not going over real rough ground. I'm more concerned about the handle. I put about 40 lbs in it and moved it around and the handle feels a little weak. I am going to look at beefing it up some. I do plan on keeping a couple of boards handy to roll the box in and out of the truck.

ak474u
04-17-2011, 05:09 PM
since I live in an apartment, I use a combination of things. LTS food is in under bed boxes, "camping" gear is in blue tubs that fit perfectly in the back seat of my truck, used to be 3 wide, now just 2 because of the car seat (argh) and fit pretty well in the back of the truck as well. I have an action packer for small tools, spotlights, and etc. for regular every day tools that I use for work, and some for emergency car repair etc. My plan is to optimize the action packer with tools that aren't camping or survival related and be done with the tools so I don't have to take up other space in a vehicle with tools. I like the tubs, we store mostly crap that we never use in them, but they can definitely make a difference in organization around the house, and on the road. I have a folding lite duty dolly that collapses down very small with my tubs so the wife can get them out to the vehicle by herself and can carry mroe than one at a time. This is it, I used it to move, and it was great. 150 lb. Capacity Folding Hand Truck - HMC5 at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202269728/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)

sigma pete
10-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Plastic totes are great for organized garage storage. I built a floor to ceiling rack to store them on. Need a ladder to get the top two rows down. Found out the hard way though that rats like duffel bags and their contents (clothing and boots) for nest material. Ughhhhh!