PDA

View Full Version : Electricity During SHTF

sidewinder
10-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Why is it almost everything I read about everyones' preps...assumes there will be electricty?

I think that is the biggest SHTF scenario.

None of my preps is based on having electricty. NONE.....

That means no running city water (no pump house)....no gas furnace (electric fan motor)...no gasoline...(no gas pumps) no driving around...no generators...

So what are you gonna do?

bacpacker
10-28-2011, 09:43 PM
Without for the most part. Any electricity I have will come from solar, at least under my current circumstances. I'm working very hard to get in some position to be able to do anything I need to in ways similar to what was done during the 1800's. I can't afford to build a large solar system to make much of a difference.

Stg1swret
10-28-2011, 11:56 PM
Most of my preps are based on no electric.

mollypup
10-29-2011, 01:40 AM
I prep with the assumption that there will be no electricity. I consider it a perk if we do have it.

helomech
10-29-2011, 02:05 AM
Heck we loose electricity a lot. Usually spend at least a week each winter with no electricity. Even in high winds we loose electricity.

ladyhk13
10-29-2011, 07:09 AM
We're prepping for no electric in mind. We are buying things that I can use without it. Why do you assume we are all ignorant to think that if shtf we will all have electric tied to the grid????? I hope that you intended to say that you are reading this at another site and not here because the people here are well educated enough to know that there will be no power in a lot of shtf scenarios and are or have made preps for this.

LUNCHBOX
10-29-2011, 12:13 PM
I plan on having electric, my gov't wouldn't let me go without for very long....haha. Actually, I get the impression most of us plan only to have by solar or generators and the gens will be temporary at best. (Although gas can be borrowed from vehicles just setting around)

Stormfeather
10-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Thats what I bought generators for, loaded up on gas, and will be using that.

Sniper-T
10-31-2011, 11:42 AM
I have a HD Genset, have it shielded as best I can, and typically stock at least 80 gallons of gas. I'm trying to deal on a 250 gallon above ground tank, but so far not yet.

This will give me the power I need to continue to run what is necessary while determining the severity of the SHTF scenario. At which point it will continue to give me enough power to run my dehydrator and smokers to take care of the freezer meats, and to run my well pump as needed.

I can heat my house with wood, and can cook on the fire.

It's all good

For there to be no electricity on a long term basis, there will almost have to be an EMP type event... and if that is the case, the major highways, will be a parking lots, and at least in the beginning an easy place to siphon gas. Once the zombies start moving... not so much.

IMO

Once the gas runs dry... Then it is old school. and I'm well set up for that!