PDA

View Full Version : How much does a full wood cord weigh?

Sparrow
10-29-2011, 01:40 AM
Ok, so a cord is about 4' x 8' x 16' right? Does anyone know how much this would weigh? It will be seasoned 2 years hardwood split.

I have a feeling it is going to be too much for my bed (no jokes we are talking truck here).

Thanks!

bacpacker
10-29-2011, 01:53 AM
What truck do you have? Brand, Model, bed size, cab size?

Sparrow
10-29-2011, 02:42 AM
2500 dodge ram mega can hemi short box

bacpacker
10-29-2011, 02:50 AM
I'm not sure the short bed would even hold a full cord. Your truck is rated at 3/4 ton, but the large cab detracts from the weight payload rating. Can you just do 2 loads instead?

Sparrow
10-29-2011, 02:56 AM
I could for sure do two loads. :) But if it isn't too heavy I would prefer to stack it and put a couple of ratchet straps

Jerry D Young
10-29-2011, 02:58 AM
A full cord is 4' x 4' x 8' (128 cuft) Weight varies with the wood. 4' x 8' x 16' would be four cords

A cord of fresh (wet) hickory is around 5,700 pounds. Will be rather less dry.

Sniper-T
10-29-2011, 03:12 AM
^ what he said!

most woods will be between 5500 and 6500 per cord, depending on how dense the wood is.

And what kind of cord it is. A cord of full 8 footers will weigh substancially less than a cord of cut and split, stacked stovelengths.

Sparrow
10-29-2011, 03:53 AM
*pout* looks like it is two trips then, I don't like putting more then 2500 lbs on the bed. I know it is rated for more but that is me.

Thanks a lot fellas I really appreciate the help!

4x4x8 is a full cord? Hummm, I wonder where I read otherwise, some forums are so bad for into - thanks again!

I'll be getting wood already split, I am no lumberjack over here!

realist
10-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Then again you could do what a guy in our town did. He rented a U-haul truck and filled it to the roof with wood Did you know that if you do that the frame will break in two???? Looks like you will be making two trips.

bacpacker
10-29-2011, 02:25 PM
Whoops, see weight limits

Sparrow
10-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Two trips, got it! :)

Thanks guys! ;)

AlphaTea
10-30-2011, 04:38 AM
Sparrow, In the part of NY where I am wood is sold by the "Face Cord" which is 4'x8' x16-18" (INCHES) which is about 1/3 to 1/2 of a normal cord.
This is about all you can get in a normal sized pick-up in one trip.

Sparrow
10-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Thanks Alpha, where I am getting the wood it is a 'full cord', so I've already made arrangements for two trips. Thanks again everyone! I love this forum, everyone is so nice and non judgmental!

bacpacker
10-30-2011, 05:15 PM
Alpha they call the FACE CORD a RICK down here, basically half a full cord. That is what is typically sold here as well. And yeah that's about a good truck load.

Stormfeather
10-30-2011, 10:07 PM
Speaking of which, Fort McCoy just opened up this weekend for wood cutting, its free, all you have to do is go to the designated wood cutting areas and cut/load/transport all the wood ya want for free!

Sparrow
10-30-2011, 11:33 PM
Speaking of which, Fort McCoy just opened up this weekend for wood cutting, its free, all you have to do is go to the designated wood cutting areas and cut/load/transport all the wood ya want for free!

WTF, free wood? Where is that? More info. please!

Stormfeather
10-31-2011, 12:24 AM
Fort McCoy Wisconsin, the entire north post and south post areas are open for free firewood cutting/gathering. All you do is drive up to base, get a map of the designated areas, and you can go harvest as much wood as you can handle as long as you are not a commercial entity. It has to be for private use for you to gather/harvest/cut down.

Grumpy Old Man
10-31-2011, 06:51 PM
Sparrow, In the part of NY where I am wood is sold by the "Face Cord" which is 4'x8' x16-18" (INCHES) which is about 1/3 to 1/2 of a normal cord.
This is about all you can get in a normal sized pick-up in one trip.

This is also known in some areas as a rick. There are no specific dimensions to a rick so it is always better to buy by the cord, which as has been said, is a distinct and measurable quantity. A rick is also sometimes used to describe a truckload.

Sniper-T
10-31-2011, 11:03 PM
We also have a 'face cord' around here too. The designation comes from the amount of a cord that you can see the face of. So the pile is 4' high, 8' wide, and 4 foot deep. you can only see the height and width when you are facing the pile. so it pays to ask what length the logs are cut to. around here, the standard is 16" so a 'face' cord is 1/3 of a full cord. the odd time you can buy a 24" face cord, which is 1/2. There are a few yahoos selling around here that cut into 12" pcs, which they tout as 'easier to split' which is true, but then for a face cord, you only get a 1/4.

I'm lucky enough here, that there are several cutting areas within 1/2 hour of me, where I can buy a $5.00 permit, and I can cut up to 7 cords of whatever I want. Or I can go to a commercial cutting area, and pay $25 for a truckload of 8' logs, that I have to load myself.

either way... it's a good deal!

Sparrow
11-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Yeah, I picked up some last night, ... the cord is so huge it is going to take 3 or 4 trips.

Sparrow
11-01-2011, 03:40 PM
If I could find my camera I would take a picture. The guy has it stacked outside his house, he bought a transport of logs and and nice retired guy split them.

It is about 16-18" wide, 5' high, and about 22' long. For $200. Defiantly more then a cord right? I am paying him 400 more next time for 2 more chords and just pick up wood whenever I am in the area/ have free time on a nice day. Even if it takes all winter for me to get it he said meh, it is yours. People are so nice around here!

It was so funny cuz the old guy was like, you should get a splitter and split your own, my response was: I can do some manly things ... but that would be over my limit!

Sniper-T
11-03-2011, 02:20 PM
It is about 16-18" wide, 5' high, and about 22' long. For $200. Defiantly more then a cord right?
!

A CORD = 4X4X8 = 128 Cubic feet
yours = 5x22x1.33 = 146 cubic feet

yup... more than a cord

It was so funny cuz the old guy was like, you should get a splitter and split your own, my response was: I can do some manly things ... but that would be over my limit!

I don't think he was refering to an axe or a maul... he was probably refering to one of these:

Yardworks 4-Ton Log Splitter | Canadian Tire (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/PowerEquipment/LogsplittersChippersShredders/PRD~0603823P/Yardworks+4-Ton+Log+Splitter.jsp?locale=en)

if you can load your own wood... you can certainly split it with one of these.

;)

Sparrow
11-03-2011, 03:28 PM
A CORD = 4X4X8 = 128 Cubic feet
yours = 5x22x1.33 = 146 cubic feet

yup... more than a cord

I don't think he was refering to an axe or a maul... he was probably refering to one of these:

Yardworks 4-Ton Log Splitter | Canadian Tire (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/PowerEquipment/LogsplittersChippersShredders/PRD~0603823P/Yardworks+4-Ton+Log+Splitter.jsp?locale=en)

if you can load your own wood... you can certainly split it with one of these.

;)

Around here to have a transport deliver logs it costs 130 per cord ... but then you have like a huge transport dump huge-ass logs in your drive! I couldn't even move one of those logs LOL Would be different if I had a man, who I would help do stuff, but I don't. Maybe in the future I will, that would be nice :)

Cool about the splitter, I thought they'd be more expensive!

Sniper-T
11-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Splitters can go up exponentially in cost. I have a simple one like that and it busts up everything I've thrown into it. but for a couple dollars more... you can go with something like this:
Lumberjack Bobcat - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6tqI_UuP7c&feature=youtu.be)

Sparrow
11-04-2011, 11:44 PM
I'm able to get the wood in three loads. I am unloading and stacking a load tomorrow ... I am ... so ... sore. How do men do it? I am so out of shape!

mitunnelrat
11-14-2011, 10:43 PM
Bobcats just got better to me. And I love their utility to begin with. Outstanding!

I think moving a cord of wood is a good bit of work for most anyone, Sparrow. I just got one stacked into the shed today, with another piled up and ready for tomorrow, and I know I was ready to sit down for lunch today.

Sparrow
11-14-2011, 11:21 PM
I've got one full cord in the basement, found my camera! So I am going to take some pictures of it tomorrow and measure it as I am curious to see if it is bigger then a full cord (which I had estimated). Also stacking it takes a little finessing. I know it isn't a big deal now that I have stacked a cord ... but ... I don't want that thing falling on me! Stacking was important!

Sniper-T
11-19-2011, 06:05 PM
yup, stacking does take some finesse. if you don't have immovable objects for the ends (like walls or trees) alternate the directions of the end pcs. start with the end ones perpendicular with the pile. Then another row the same as the pile, then perp. again. you can also offset them into the pile by 1/2 a length, that way the pile itself will lock itself in.

Another thing to keep in mind is that all (most) trees are tapered, so by alternating direction of placement by 180 degrees will help keep your pile level across the top, not leaning forward or back.

And, if you're stacking outside, try to keep the cplit parts facing down (ie bark on top). This will help it season better, and stay drier if the stack gets rained or snowed on.

IMO