PDA

View Full Version : Wood Burning Stove vs Fireplace Insert

Kodiak
10-31-2011, 01:01 PM
Any thoughts, pro/con, on which you would prefer to have in your home. My only requirement is it has to be wood burning, here is my (limited) knowledge on each.

Wood Burning Fireplace Insert: Puts out alot of heat, but the fan is dependent on electricity which is not a good thing post SHTF. And from what i understand it requires a full fireplace to install.

Wood Burning Stove: Puts out heat and can cook with it if needed. Does not require a fireplace to install.

Like i said, i dont have alot of knowledge on either but im in the process of reading up on each to try and figure out which we are going to install in our home next year.

Fatty
10-31-2011, 03:48 PM
Well, if you need a place to cook without electricity then its pretty obvious.

bacpacker
10-31-2011, 04:19 PM
We installed a appalachin wood stove wehn we built. It has a fan but works just fine without running it. It is pretty econoomical and burns the wood down to a pretty fine ash. We have it sitting about halfway back in the wall to save space, but still have plenty of room to cook.

ladyhk13
10-31-2011, 05:32 PM
We put in an insert which burns wood or gas. This was done with looks in mind only. If we lose power it can be used for limited heat near the fireplace only, fireplaces are more "heat suckers" than anything. We wanted a formal look so that was why we decided to go that way. If you have a generator you can hook up the fan to it and still burn wood in a true fireplace but you won't be able to cook in it unless you build one of the huge old fashioned ones that you can hang your cast iron pots but I wouldn't do it personally. So I guess it depends on what use you want out of it. What is more important to you and your family. Our house was too big to heat with a wood burning stove and we were remodeling a house that already had an insert so the place was already there so it was a no brainer for us. Good luck with the decision!

ANEURYSM
10-31-2011, 06:33 PM
I have a LOPI woodburner fireplace insert. It has a coocktop and a blower fan. I ordered it with the 12v blower so in emergency I can run it off a car battery. It is very eficent and works well. And the flat top works good for a stove.

Grumpy Old Man
10-31-2011, 06:42 PM
As I recall, there is a non-electric fan for wood stoves available at Sportsman's Guide. I have zero experience with them but it may bear investigating.

Ecofan Heat - Powered Wood Stove Fan, Furniture & Domestics, Ecofan, Ecofan at Sportsman's Guide (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/ecofan-heat-powered-wood-stove-fan.aspx?a=717326)

ANEURYSM
10-31-2011, 07:54 PM
WOW I just went and looked at mine it is a Lopi 4002 freestanding wood stove, looks like an insert. No I got it for free and asumed it was an insert. I weilded legs to the bottom and use it to heat my shop. Just found out they make and sell a pedistal for it lol.

bacpacker
10-31-2011, 11:23 PM
Here is the model we have, the insert. We did set it out about 12" from the wall. The opening was built for the stove.

Appalachian Stove - Gas and Wood Stoves - Wood Stoves - 32 XLB (http://www.appalachianstove.com/wood-stoves-32-xlb.php)

LUNCHBOX
11-01-2011, 12:24 AM
As I have seen the layout in your house, I think I would go with the fireplace due to the room being open. You can block off and keep your heat contained to a smaller area. You don't need a blower for that and having a generator will allow you to heat other rooms as needed. Besides we've cooked over open flame enough not to let a cook top decide for you.

TroubleShooter
11-01-2011, 01:09 AM
I myself would have a free standing stove. In reality cooking on the top is overrated, most stoves produced today have the air box surrounding the stove reducing the heat radiated, unless you buy one specific as cook stove with the old style removable spaces. When using the free standing stove you have the options of surrounding the area with heatsinks. A free standing stove will be cheaper and quicker to install. I would use a min 8" diameter stove pipe to gain additional surface area for more radiant heat. IMO a fireplace is a waste, they are designed for looks and not heating, most heat sails right out the top , ideally the fireplace should be designed to heat the stone quickly , thus allowing the radiant heat from the stone to heat the area.
I have used them all fireplace , free standing and also inserts.....The inserts and freestanding I have found to be more efficent...

Sparrow
11-02-2011, 12:48 AM
I am working on a Vermont Castings Viginiant II from '77 ... got it for about $250 along with a whack of other stuff in the lot for a total of $600. So far I have put in $100 for paint, joint sealent, new gaskets, and stove cement for the inside bottom (not needed for the design it is just extra). Once I have all that done, the thing will last another 30 + years before needed a facelift again.

This is my stove, but I don't have glass inserts, I have cast iron (I don't want glass because of breakage).

http://www.houtkachels.com/afbeeldingen/kachels/vigilant_1.jpg

izzyscout21
11-02-2011, 01:01 AM
As I have seen the layout in your house......

And ya'll call me the Stalker..............

LUNCHBOX
11-02-2011, 02:09 AM
....peek-a-boo....

Jasper
12-19-2011, 01:02 AM
I am for the wood burning stove. I have a Napoleon unit and it heats our house very well with or without the blower on. It is ducted to carry heat to the farthest side of the house from the stove. Installed thick slate flooring which really helps hold and radiate the heat.

LUNCHBOX
01-21-2012, 02:05 AM
We picked up our little wood stove today. It's a Vogelzang from Lowes It's small but our house is the size of a shoebox. I'll throw up some pics soon.

What's nicer is Kodiak has a bunch of wood for us already....as long as he is at work....haha.

LUNCHBOX
01-22-2012, 10:28 PM
Well, here it is. It is small but our house is the size of a UPS truck so it will do just fine. I like that you can cook on the top and that was a big seller for us on this model. Time to start using that cast iron cookware (we have a glass top stove)

http://i44.tinypic.com/wwhy0i.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/2dwds0w.jpg

bacpacker
01-22-2012, 11:45 PM
That's a good looking stove LB. The top will allow for a lot of cooking. Nice find.

LUNCHBOX
01-23-2012, 09:21 AM
BP, they have a chicken steamer, that's right a chicken steamer made just for this model. You know I have to have it....lol.

bacpacker
01-23-2012, 10:38 PM
I gotta see pics of that!

izzyscout21
01-24-2012, 12:44 PM
that's neat. Whoda thunk it.....a chicken steamer........

work in progress
01-24-2012, 01:47 PM
Here she is

http://www.vogelzang.com/catimg/accessories-small.jpg

Sniper-T
01-24-2012, 11:04 PM
My parents had two real fireplaces in their home, one on each floor. although they shared a chimney, so only one could be used at a time. when either one was cranked up, it could clear a room within a couple hours. With a couple fans going, the basement one could easily heat the entire house, and did for many winters.

I have and have used most types of woodstoves over the years, mainly at my, or at my friends cabins.

My current home has a fireplace insert, that was added in after the house was built, so it is a small nub that actually sits outside of the house, with the fireplace flush with the wall, and a hearth sticking in.

I have cooked with both the fireplaces and the insert by just having a pot (cast) sitting in front of the glass door. This bodes well for slow cooked meals, but not so much for quick meals. I have let my fire die down (in my insert) raked the coals to one side, and cooked almost everything you can think of in my wok. Add the odd stick to the other side to keep it going.up to

I have cooked on every type of woodstove I know of, from the old 'tinners' up to the truly fancy ones.

If you are motivated and willing to try, they will all work.

Even without the fan running, my insert will easily heat my entire house, even at -30C ( I tried it )

The only complaint I have with my insert, is that it is technically outside the house, so it isn't as efficient as it could be, and it doesn't breathe quite right.

Other than that, they all will serve a purpose, but match the stove to your home. Op, that's a great looking little stove, and for a UPS truck sized place, it'll be more than enough. If you had 3000 sf with multi levels, not so much!

IMO!

bacpacker
01-25-2012, 12:12 AM
Like Sniper said try your best to fit your stove to your house. I didn't quite get that part right. Our house, minus basement, is a little over 1400sq ft, We picked up a Appalachin Wood Stove while we were building. We had the contractor build it into a stone hearth. He was concerned about the weight of the set up and suggested we build a cantilever section using 8" lintels. The lintels were built into the base of the chimney and overhung on the basement block wall. It's worked out great in that regard.
Our problem is that the stove is rated for 3500 sqft. We can't hardly use it if the temps are above 30. Our first winter's cold spell we fired the stove up and warmed the house right up. Our house has a cathedral ceiling in the living room which opens up into our master bedroom/bathroom. When we went up to go to bed, it must have been at least 90 degrees. We had to open the windows to cool it down. Next morning when we got up it was 83 in the living room. We usually keep our house in the mid 60 thru the winter.
We did set the stove out about 8" to give us a cooking surface. I's wide enough to put 2-4 pots on, depending on the pot size. Another thing I like about it, if I keep the dampers closed down pretty tight it will burn for about 8 hours on a full load of wood. It is very efficent.

Sniper-T
01-25-2012, 11:19 AM
BP... maybe try different wood? Instead of some crazy assed BTU pumping hardwood, mix it up a little in the warmer temps. switch from hickory to a Spruce or something??

I placed a wood-BTU chart into the wood thread, check it out

LUNCHBOX
01-25-2012, 12:59 PM
When I refer to the UPS truck......the house without basement is @800+ ...... Our wood stove is rated 900 SF. We feel it'll be a good fit.

LUNCHBOX
01-25-2012, 01:05 PM
When I refer to the UPS truck......our house without basement is @800+ ...... Our wood stove is rated 900 SF. We feel it'll be a good fit.

bacpacker
01-26-2012, 01:41 AM
BP... maybe try different wood? Instead of some crazy assed BTU pumping hardwood, mix it up a little in the warmer temps. switch from hickory to a Spruce or something??

I placed a wood-BTU chart into the wood thread, check it out

I have burned everything from hickory, oak, maple, and locust to Apple, popular, and hemlock, even a little very dry pine. There is some difference in the heat output, but still way to much. We just have too much stove. Our best way of dealing with it is to just keep 1 or 2 windows open upstairs.

ladyhk13
01-26-2012, 02:33 AM
I am for the wood burning stove. I have a Napoleon unit and it heats our house very well with or without the blower on. It is ducted to carry heat to the farthest side of the house from the stove. Installed thick slate flooring which really helps hold and radiate the heat.

Just curious, do you have radiant heating in your floors?

Twitchy
01-26-2012, 02:41 AM
just a tip for wood burning stoves, do NOT use the pressed artificial logs from stores... Extremely dangerous as someone i know found out when they found themselves sweating outside, in -4 degree temperatures... the cabin was at a nice and toasty 98 DEGREES... nearly burned the place down...

rentprop1
01-26-2012, 04:17 AM
I say wood stove especially if you live in a place where you need heat part of the year, don't buy a cheap one, it will just fill your home with smoke, a good stove might run near $ 2500-3000, and most you could cook on top of......we bought this almost 4 years ago, I don't use my heater in the winter at all, people give away firewood most of the year ( they tend to sell it in the fall ) stock up in the summer and you are ready to go in the late fall, nothing like free heat.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/rentprop1/woodstove-1.jpg

ladyhk13
01-26-2012, 04:50 AM
I say wood stove especially if you live in a place where you need heat part of the year, don't buy a cheap one, it will just fill your home with smoke, a good stove might run near $ 2500-3000, and most you could cook on top of......we bought this almost 4 years ago, I don't use my heater in the winter at all, people give away firewood most of the year ( they tend to sell it in the fall ) stock up in the summer and you are ready to go in the late fall, nothing like free heat.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/rentprop1/woodstove-1.jpg

What brand is this one and what sq/ft are you heating with it? How often do you have to add wood thoughout the day in the winter - do you have to get up at night to add wood? I see you are in FL so your winters are mild compared to many of us.

rentprop1
01-26-2012, 05:11 AM
this is a Jotul , IIRC it was just about $ 3000 for everything , I'm not a handy man at all, and the installation was a breeze, ranch style home, normally we shut off the furthest bedrooms which means we are heating about 1100 +/- sq feet.
how much wood you burn will depend on the type you burn, how seasoned ( dry ) it is and how large the logs are, I burn oak mostly, usually split 3 ways quarter, half and full log, up to 6 inch diameter, the larger logs you can load up the stove before bedtime and throttle down the air intake, and there are always coals in the am to all smaller stuff to if you want to get it going again. the average fire it up after work 5 pm to run all night about 2 arm loads of wood . To run all day maybe 4 arm loads or a wheelbarrow full.
I'm near Ocala FL, it does freeze here, many nights in the 30's Dec thru Feb, I don't run the electric heat and save a bundle on the light bill, the stove has paid or itself in about 4 years, if you live in a colder climate, probably pay for itself in about an year and a half ....... don't think you can get away with a $ 300 box wood stove, those are made for sheds and barns, if you buy a cheap stove everything in your home will smell like smoke and you will live in a white haze, when its 20 degrees out it really sucks to have to open the windows and clear everything out.........buy a good stove ....trust me

ladyhk13
01-26-2012, 05:31 AM
I agree about buying cheap. I just found a floorplan for a house that calls for a woodstove kind of in the middle of the house between the kitchen and the living room (there is sort of a sitting area between the two rooms that the stove in in but no walls). It is 2 story so I'm wondering if we can find one to heat the whole house and maybe one that I could learn to cook on...don't know what I would cook on it but I'm sure I could find stuff, our members are very innovative here. I don't know if a fan would be needed or if the heat that radiates is enough? The thing must get really hot though so being careful not to get close to it for safety reasons should be a consideration especially with pets?

Kodiak
01-26-2012, 08:24 AM
As it turns out, the fireplace that the builder put in our home cannot support a wood burning insert so we'll either have to build a new brick or stone fireplace from the ground up, or remodel our living room by ripping out the angled wall in the corner of the room and put a wood stove there. Either way its going to take some work and $$$, so for now we're just gonna keep our cheap pre-fab fireplace insert. Who knows if we'll even be around after this year anyways lol.