PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Alert System

ladyhk13
11-04-2011, 12:51 AM
This is from the Homeland Security Website, in part:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emergency Alert System
Certified EAS Equipment Vendors
State EAS Plans and Chairs
You're at: FCC / PSHSB / Policy Areas / Emergency Alert System
Emergency Alert System
Releases
EAS Handbooks
EAS Archives
The EAS is a national public warning system that requires broadcasters, cable television systems, wireless cable systems, satellite digital audio radio service (SDARS) providers, and direct broadcast satellite (DBS) providers to provide the communications capability to the President to address the American public during a national emergency. The system also may be used by state and local authorities to deliver important emergency information, such as AMBER alerts and weather information targeted to specific areas.

The first Nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System will be carried out on November 9, 2011. For more information about the test or access to the participant reporting system, please click here.

The FCC, in conjunction with Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's National Weather Service (NWS), implements the EAS at the federal level. The President has sole responsibility for determining when the EAS will be activated at the national level, and has delegated this authority to the director of FEMA. FEMA is responsible for implementation of the national-level activation of the EAS, tests, and exercises. The NWS develops emergency weather information to alert the public about imminent dangerous weather conditions.

.................the rest of this can be read at: Emergency Alert System (EAS) | Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau (http://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/services/eas/)

izzyscout21
11-11-2011, 12:55 AM
the whole thing was kinda suspect to me.

bacpacker
11-11-2011, 12:59 AM
Trial run for just after this time next year after Obammy losses the election?

ladyhk13
11-11-2011, 03:34 AM
Do you guys remember the tv stations doing this late at night? They never told you they were going to do it, they just did a test, boom...done, gone. Why did o and home land sec feel the need to advertise this all over the country? How much did this cost the tax payers? Was anyone online during the test? Did you lose connection?

bacpacker
11-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Part of my work is online. I didn't see anything. Cell phone didn't either. Apparently it was just broadcast tv/radio.
I do remember the late night test. There's no tellin how millions were spent on this. Plus iheard it didn't work every where, so i'm sure it will run again

mollypup
11-11-2011, 01:36 PM
I heard that most people didn't even see it, including me. Most of us aren't sitting and watching regular TV anymore or just listening to regular radio. If they really want to reach the majority of the population they need to send it through the internet to cell phones, streaming channels, computers (of course) and all other media devices that connect to the internet.

Stg1swret
11-13-2011, 02:46 AM
My cable company when Testing the EBS interupts everything except Pay-Per-View. Even there, they scroll a message across the bottom of the screen during real emergencies.