Received via email... had to share:

THE FINAL INSPECTION

The soldier stood and faced God,
Which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shining,
Just as brightly as his brass.

'Step forward now, you soldier,
How shall I deal with you ?
Have you always turned the other cheek ?
To My Church have you been true?'

The soldier squared his shoulders and said,
'No, Lord, I guess I ain't.
Because those of us who carry guns,
Can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sundays,
And at times my talk was tough.
And sometimes I've been violent,
Because the world is awfully rough.

But, I never took a penny,
That wasn't mine to keep...
Though I worked a lot of overtime,
When the bills got just too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help,
Though at times I shook with fear.
And sometimes, God, forgive me,
I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place,
Among the people here.
They never wanted me around,
Except to calm their fears.

If you've a place for me here, Lord,
It needn't be so grand.
I never expected or had too much,
But if you don't, I'll understand.

There was a silence all around the throne,
Where the saints had often trod.
As the soldier waited quietly,
For the judgment of his God.

'Step forward now, you soldier,
You've borne your burdens well.
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,
You've done your time in Hell.'

Author Unknown~

It's the Military, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It's the Military, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It's the Military, not the politicians that ensures our right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. It's the Military who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag.

If you care to offer the smallest token of recognition and appreciation for the military, please pass this on and pray for our men and women who have served and are currently serving our country and pray for those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for freedom.

bacpacker
11-09-2011, 01:22 AM
Thanks Sniper! EXCELLENT POST!

Stormfeather
11-09-2011, 01:57 AM
Thank you for the post. Its been around a while, but its always good to read it.

Stg1swret
11-09-2011, 02:18 AM
It was an honor to have served. To those who have also served and are serving I salute you brothers and sisters in arms. We have all sacrificed part of ourselves, some more then others. As the quote goes " Some gave all, all gave some."
USN 1970-1976, 1983- 1996
SonarTechnichian Guns 1(surface warfare) U.S.N retired

Sniper-T
11-09-2011, 02:52 AM
ya'know... I've admitted right from the beginning, that I have no military affiliations... Other than friends serving... But... And this is a BIG but... I am a FIRM advocate for our military, and what they do... and I commiserate for them for what they are restricted in doing by our POS BS governments!!

I was at a legion the other day... having a beer with a buddy, and he was lamenting about all the blah blah blah, about rememberence day. While I was standing there with my jaw hanging open, someone spoke up beside us, to him:

"Earlier tonight on our way home, we stopped in at Costco to pick up the usual things.
After fighting our way through traffic, finding a parking spot, and joining the crowd entering the store...we were greeted by a gentleman who really stood out.
There, at the door, stood a fellow well into his 80's, dressed in a uniform heavy with decorations, selling poppies.
Something about him....I dunno...just really stuck me.
I walked over, reached into my pocket for some change...and as I gave him 6 dollars (it's all I had on me) in exchange for a poppy , he looked at me and in a broken voice barely louder than a whisper...said "Thank you."

I was floored.
Thank me....no sir, THANK YOU.
Thank you for all you have done. Thank you to all those who have given so much so that we can live in the world we do.
Thank you to those who continue to do so today.

A short while later another thought struck me.
These fellow's aren't getting any younger, and one day there simply won't be any of them left to tell their stories or wear those uniforms of yesterday.
In this busy world we live in, will the origins of such a day become lost ?

So on Remembrance Day, buy a poppy..or 2..or 3, thank a veteran for THEIR contribution, and just as important...explain to a child, teen or even adult, the meaning of November 11th and why it's not just another day off."

Given the animosity that I've read in some other posts toward Canadians... and our in-involvement in Iraq... Please don't condemn us (the people) for our governments policies.

I have lost friends, family, and acquiantences in every field of battle for over 30 years... and people of many different nationalities.

Let your idealism aside for a bit... and rememeber all people from all countries, from 'many' races, who all put their lives on the line, and sacrificed their lives for OUR way of life!

Seriously... LEST WE FORGET!