PDA

View Full Version : Gutter Gardening

Sniper-T
11-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Part of my reno's for this year included eave troughs (gutters). I kept most of the old stuff that was in decent shape, And when I get the new ones installed, I am going to buy a bunch of extra end caps

I don't want them on the side of the house like this link, but I think they'd work well along the railing on the upper deck, possibly along the fence around the garden, on the side of the garden shed, and maybe even a few on my hunting shack...

Gutter Gardens Grow Produce Without Taking Up Space (http://lifehacker.com/5229896/gutter-gar....taking-up-space)

Gardening in the Gutter? - Planet Green (http://planetgreen.discovery.com/home-garden/gardening-gutter.html)

The hard part will be keeping moisture in there, especially if we have a hot dry summer again. For that I am thinking of running a soaker hose along the back, on top of the soil, or on the bottom, under the soil.

eta: If I have time yet this fall, I am going to set up a few little 2 footers for by the inside windows of my sunroom. be nice to have fresh herbs all winter

Sparrow
11-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Wouldn't that clog the gutter and defeat the purpose? Also, if doing water collection ... no more collected water! :)

Sniper-T
11-09-2011, 05:19 PM
lol...

these are 'extra' gutters that you put up just for gardening in. if outside, you drill holes in them to drain.

I have a railing all around my upper deck, so I'm going to put some up there, and I have a deer fence all around my garden, so I'm going to add some there.

I have a hitching fence all around my firepit area, and the wife wants to throw some up there for flowers.

I'm going to make up a couple short ones and use them inside this winter, to grow some herbs/lettuce. They wont have the holes, but I can water more carefully

Gunfixr
11-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Ok.

I saw the title and thought of the house next door, where there was actually grass growing in the gutters.

There was grass growing on the roof too, come to think of it.

ladyhk13
11-09-2011, 11:09 PM
That's ok Sniper...I knew what you were talking about. :)

JustAPrepper
11-10-2011, 01:30 AM
Sniper, I've seen this before and love the idea! Please keep us posted with your results.