PDA

View Full Version : Great Depression Cooking: WITH CLARA!

Sparrow
11-11-2011, 12:57 AM
I love this lady, she reminds me of my Oma who passed a few years back. Watching her makes me a little weepy ... but she is so wonderful - the grandma everyone wishes they had!

She has an amazing wisdom and her dishes are great! Great for children and the whole family!

Here are a few of my favourites ... lots more to watch on youtube.

91 year old cook and great grandmother, Clara, recounts her childhood during the Great Depression as she prepares meals from the era. Learn how to make simple yet delicious dishes while listening to stories from the Depression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuMkW35BwK8&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51VhG8MKxJY&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4IjNV3lZkQ&feature=player_embedded

ladyhk13
11-11-2011, 04:05 AM
Sparrow..you had an Oma too? My American Grandma made potato and green bean soup...so thick and yummy! You can put leftover ham in it if ya like but I like it just as is (sometimes with cheese and bacon bits on top)...wonderful wintertime stuff.

ravensgrove
11-12-2011, 02:33 PM
I adore Clara. She is so great on not just cooking, but homespun wisdom. One of my favorites from the University of Grandmas.

mollypup
11-12-2011, 02:43 PM
I love stuff like this too. I wish my grandmother was here to tell me how she got through the Depression. She was raising 3 kids at the time.

bacpacker
11-13-2011, 12:19 AM
Me to Molly. My grand parents in a way are a big reason I prep. When I was growing up I spent a lot of time with them. They went thru the depression and made it through in decent shape. They farmed on a small scale until the were up into their 70's. They always kept a well stocked pantry of food they had raised, veggies, beef, pork, & chickens. When my grand ma died and everyone started going thru their house sorting out things, we found several thousand dollars in her freezer, both coins, new bills, and alot of silver certificates, some in freezer dishes labeled as mixed greens. They were a great inspirations, I miss them badly.

My mom told me a couple weeks ago how proud my grandpa would be of me for getting into my chicken's. I always went to his chicken lot and helped him feed and water when I was growing up.

mollypup
11-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Wow Backpacker! Your grandparents really knew how to prep and hide it well. What a great find! I can't wait for us to start raising some chickens. I might just have to accidentally "find" a couple of chicks to get my husband started. We're not supposed to raise such critters in our subdivision but I really don't think anyone would mind or complain. I just need to find the type that are very quiet.

ravensgrove
11-14-2011, 07:36 PM
I spent from 8th grade on with my depression surviving Grandparents who did subsistence farming long before it was "cool". My Grandad just turned 96 this year. Last year I found him on top of his barn with a rope tied to his waist and a feed sack tied to the other end flung over "holding him" as he fixed the peak. This year he finally gave up on the tractor went down to 15 head of Herefords from a couple hundred and bought a Gator to drive back and forth to the field in.

My Grandma is now deceased but she also kept "cold cash". Her freezer had money in it in vaccuum sealed bags. The larder still had food she canned.

Hopefully we all work to learn this wisdom and hold fast to it for humanity, not many people pay attention to it.

bacpacker
11-14-2011, 10:29 PM
You know the folks back then were just gettin by. They had never heard of prepping on anything like it. It was just life. That's what I'm striving for. I just hope I have time to get there.

Raven your grandpa sounds cool. 96 and on the roof, VERY COOL.