PDA

View Full Version : Happy Veterans day

bacpacker
11-11-2011, 02:34 PM
I know there are a lot of vets on here, both past and present. I just wanted to thank each of you for your service to our country. It is truly debt I can in no way began to repay. You have given a part of your life you can never get back.

Thank to all for all you have done!

Stg1swret
11-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Most of us veterans here were/are volunteers. Speaking for myself, I never thought that what I was doing for my country required any form of repayment.I did my time and passed the touch on to those that followed. I had the distinct honor of serving, jus as my ancestors have been doing since 1621 here in America. We didn't serve forhonor or glory for repayment. I felt as I'm sure many others here did/do that it was my duty for the freedoms this country gave me.

RedJohn
11-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Like you, I was never drafted and volunteered for everything I did. Sometimes, I did it for the money, many times for nothing but the sense of duty. I don't feel like I need a special day to remember what I did, unless I died doing it, maybe. There were many before me and there will be a lot more after me.

That being said, there is a need to remember what was done and at what cost, so maybe there are no reasons to do it in the future. I would hate such a world, as I would have troubles to find a real purpose for my life.

Grumpy Old Man
11-11-2011, 08:55 PM
To all who have served or are still serving ThankYou and God bless you! You are the best and brightest of the next generation!

eagle326
11-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Like the 2 above me ;I volunteered for the army in 68. spent 70 to 71 with the 101st. in I-corps. Like the others I did it because that is what my ancestors did. It's the price of being born free in America and a duty to all who believe in personal freedom. As stated we did our duty and passed the torch to the next generation.

As for you Backpacker you owe us nothing in repayment for we ask for none because we picked up the torch left for us by those who went before and kept us free at that time.

In a sense backpacker you have repaid us with out ever knowing it. You stand on your own without Govt. help ; prepare in case of bad times and I'm sure you're of the frame of mind to defend liberty down to your last breath if need be. These and more are what made this country free and great for over 200 years.

We took an oath in the military that's with us until we die. You in a sense have also taken one to live and die a free man and defend your country. You are one of many who make veterans proud that they have not fought in vain.

May you have a great day and never falter in your mission.

rice paddy daddy
11-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Like the 2 above me ;I volunteered for the army in 68. spent 70 to 71 with the 101st. in I-corps.
Welcome home, eagle326.
Like you, I volunteered for the Army, 1967, and requested service in Vietnam in 1969, being posted to Quang Tri Province, northern I Corps. I was with the 1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Div (Mech) "Red Devils", we were on loan to the Marine Corps, OPCON'ed to the 3rd Marine Div. along the DMZ.
Like others, I was raised to believe that service to our country was honorable and good. I too come from a long line of servicemen, going back to my many-times-great grandfather who was a Private in the Revolution.
I know that the 101st, and other units, came up to help us in Operation Lam Son 719 in early 1971, were you involved? That was the cross border incursion into Laos. I was safe at home by then.
Our shoulder patch was a Red Diamond.
Thank you to all the veterans on this board for serving our country.

JustAPrepper
11-12-2011, 01:14 AM
My Great Grandfather served in WWI. My grandfather in WWII. My dad was Army during Vietnam. My step-brother served in the Marines in the first Gulf War. I'm an ex-wife of an Airman who also served in the Gulf.

God Bless All who have served and who are serving today. My flag flew proudly today in your honor.

RedJohn
11-12-2011, 01:22 AM
I know nothing about my great-grandparents, but my grandfather was mobilized in September 1939, was taken as war prisoner in early June 1940 when Dunkirk fell to the Germans and came back home in 1946 well after the official end of the war.

eagle326
11-12-2011, 01:37 AM
I know that the 101st, and other units, came up to help us in Operation Lam Son 719 in early 1971, were you involved? That was the cross border incursion into Laos.

Rice Paddy:
My unit 326th.Engr.H.H.C. Light Equip. was the ones who rebuilt the runway at Khe Sahn along with our attached companies of bigger earth moving equipment. My brother Woodstock and I flew in with the first grunts to get things ready for the mission.

It was a time I'll never forget. Round the clock work in order to rebuild the runway in 72 hours. It was our mission to build or rebuild a runway in any terrain in 72 hrs. Not 1 minute more. It was a practice drilled into us from the time we reached our Airborne units. Plus the many roads; fire bases Ob. post . you name it we built it.

The shame of it all is that it was to be a secret ; But Charlie found out and was staged in ; around Khe Sahn and in Laos waiting for us. It was ugly for the South Vietnamese forces. They went into a meat grinder and lost a lot of men and choppers as well.

I pulled the runway up on google and you could still see it even with the grass growing up around it.

Fatty
11-12-2011, 03:10 AM
Once a Marine always a Marine, why re-enlist?

gunbuilder69
11-12-2011, 04:21 AM
you hard charging son-o-bitches know who I'm talking to!
Happy veterans day to you all! and thank you for the help...
to be continued....

"foreign and domestic"