PDA

View Full Version : Found a sweet low PSI hose end timer.

Evolver
11-13-2011, 01:29 AM
I set up our soaker hose irrigation system for Justa's Patch so it can be ran on different water sources. Our low pressure artesian well that puts out 5-7 psi without the pump running, Well with timed pump running, City water or Rain Barrels 3-5 psi.

I've have been using the free flowing artesian well from the start (1 1/2 years) and it has work well. The watering time needed as is is four hrs. To make things easier on the both of us of remembering to turn the water off or when we are away I bought a simple battery operated Orbit garden hose timer that had a time duration of 1 min to 240 min. Well... It didn't work out! When it opened it just let out a trickle of water so there for I needed to increase the watering duration and 240 min was the max. Come to find out... mostly all of the battery hose timers need at least 10 psi to assist the valve to open fully.
I stumbled upon and ordered a New 0-60 psi operating hose timer that is gear driven that was built in the late 70's and is no longer made but they are still found new online.

It's the Rain Matic 3000 and I love the old gear driven technology. ;D

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/xplore2c/DSC03668.jpg

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/xplore2c/DSC03669.jpg

So if any of you would like to water with timed water at low psi (artesian well, rain barrel or water cistern) This will save you some headache and time. You need a valve that is zero to whatever psi rated.

Shorty after I hooked it up Justa and I went to Utah for ten days and the whole time there I was worried about the garden and the timer not doing it's job but it worked and worked well. The garden didn't even miss us.

bacpacker
11-13-2011, 01:49 AM
Where did you find the rain matic at? I'm planning on using a couple of 300 gallon totes as rain barrels, catching the runoff from the chicken coop once it's done, to water our chickens and the garden. I've been looking at some various pump's and timers to set this up with. The rain matic might just be what I've been lookin for.

Evolver
11-13-2011, 02:08 AM
I ordered it from Blue Jay. Here is the link. New RainMatic 3000 Electronic Water Timer - Waters Lawns and Gardens Automatically by AzEnvironmental (http://www.blujay.com/item/New-RainMatic-3000-Electronic-Water-Timer-Waters-Lawns-and-Gardens-Automatically-11090300-3230678)

It arrived five days after I ordered. Its a good one.

Evolver
11-13-2011, 02:24 AM
Where did you find the rain matic at? I'm planning on using a couple of 300 gallon totes as rain barrels, catching the runoff from the chicken coop once it's done, to water our chickens and the garden. I've been looking at some various pump's and timers to set this up with. The rain matic might just be what I've been lookin for.

Do you have a thread on your coop build? Justa and I are in the planing stages of one.

bacpacker
11-14-2011, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the link, I will be ordering one of these right away. Great price on that.

Evolver
11-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Your welcome and I'm sure that you won't be disappointed. Very well made.

Sparrow
11-15-2011, 07:53 PM
And here I am trying to figure out how to put in a manual hand pump. LOL *shakes head in shame*

Evolver
11-15-2011, 10:46 PM
And here I am trying to figure out how to put in a manual hand pump. LOL *shakes head in shame*

Sorry :p We are very lucky to have an artesian well but it doses have it's draw backs. Even though it's a deep well it still has a high mineral, sulfur and salt content so you can't just drink it from the tap. Well... some people in the surrounding areas do use their well for drinking but it pretty nasty. We've ran it though our ceramic filter and after that it's not bad. All of the wells around here are mainly used for just irrigation.