PDA

View Full Version : 12 Valve Cummins

WvBoy
11-14-2011, 02:03 AM
I bought a non-running 95 dodge 2500 a few days ago with the 12 valve cummins :D It took me a couple hours to figure out the problem (fuel lines) and I spent most of today working on a transmission leak. I still need to clean up a few things interior wise but everything works including cruise and a/c. The body is in very good shape except for minor passenger door issues.

I couldn't be happier with my new toy, put a hundred miles on it this evening and so far all is good. I was offered more than double what I have in it and turned it down.

I'm still under $1k invested in the truck including the tow bill to get it to my place, the parts I've put on it, and the first months insurance :D

Anybody else running one of these beasts?

helomech
11-14-2011, 02:11 AM
that is great, if my 05 titan ever dies on me, I am getting something similar.

Chubbs
11-14-2011, 11:16 PM
No the cummins motor is stout! It will run forever if it stays maintained! If it is 4X4 you can't beat it!

WvBoy
11-14-2011, 11:51 PM
Looks like I'm going to put a little more money in to it, the transmission just feels soft and I'm not looking for a cummins lawn ornament, if I own it I want it ready for work when needed.

Made a few calls just to get an idea of what it will cost and I should still be below kelly bluebook value after a complete tranny rebuild.

Its not 4x4, but a good friend has almost the same truck in 4x4 with extended cab that he wants to trade for mine after I get the bugs worked out of it, his truck is just too big for the parking areas where he has to go.

bacpacker
11-14-2011, 11:59 PM
Sounds like your doing good for yourself. Those Cummins engines are stout. It should last you a good long time.

Sparrow
11-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Neat! I am totally envious of people with automotive skillz!

WvBoy
11-15-2011, 11:57 PM
Might have got lucky again:D After a little research with the mouse I understand the dodge electronics a little better and should be able to troubleshoot the shifting issue without pulling the transmission. I like this truck more everyday.

Twitchy
11-23-2011, 03:36 AM
Sounds like you got a hulk of a BOV... Congrats!

TroubleShooter
11-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Might have got lucky again:D After a little research with the mouse I understand the dodge electronics a little better and should be able to troubleshoot the shifting issue without pulling the transmission. I like this truck more everyday.

Go ahead and do a basic transmisson filter change............When refilling add a quart of the lucas transmission slime, drive the unit, reach operating temp ....recheck fluid ...........Then place the selector in low, when the RPMs reach your comfort level move selector into second forcing a shift.....

Basically on older transmissions , over time a sluggish or slow shift sometimes is caused by a burr on a piston in the valve body.....A lot of transmissions today use plastic pistons and any metal from high mileage transmission wear, will embed in piston causing slow and or sluggish shifts............When you add the slime and force these high RPM shifts it will basically polish up the burred piston assembly......Do it for the gears you are having problems with , sometimes 20 miles worth of driving will be required , but you will be able to tell if the process is working by driving normally, the shifts will come quicker .....

Basically on slow or sluggish shifts , the pressure to operate the piston in valve body requires more and more as there is wear or burrs.........If it is wear that sucks, the lucas will show results after a few miles of driving due to the increased weight of the fluid...........Burrs or embedded items will gradually fade away as you force the shifts under load....

Paul-K
11-25-2011, 01:33 PM

Exactly what is the issue with the shifting?

Sniper-T
11-25-2011, 02:05 PM
try changing the oil in the tranny... add a can of seafoam, and run it for a bit... then change it out again, add more foam, and just use it. That shit is amazing. My wife's old POS car wasn't shifting properly, tried a tranny-tune-up, with no success, then the shop said that it had to be re-built/replaced. I did this with it, and within 2 weeks it was shifting like new.

We put an additional 150,000 K on it before we finally retired it. 89 Corsica - 575,000 km. RIP :)